New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking for some information on a "silver" BCG. Obviously not actual sliver, but one that is that color. So far I understand there is chrome plated, something called TiN (Titanium Nitride?), and Nickel Boron. The reason I want one is basically for the looks as well as the ease of cleaning. I don't really know anything about the "silver" BCGs. Are there other types? Is there anything disadvantageous that I should know about them? Do you have a recommendation for the best one for the money or the best type for the money (TiN, NiB, etc.)? Any info on them would be great! :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you want something flashy silver and easier to clean, the chrome carriers will fit that bill. The NiB is going to be a little more expensive and usually less bright of a silver, but it's apparently harder and slipprier. Same goes for the TiN, but it's a gold color. If you can find a good deal on a NiB, probably go for that over the chrome, but otherwise chrome ought to work just fine.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
My NiB seems to get "smoke stained" very easily and while the carbon cleans easy, the stained look does not. if you want flashy, this is not for you (unless it will be a safe queen).

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I recently bought a Wilson Combat BCG for a 6.8 SPC build and its a dull silver. Have no idea what its made of but the machining is awesome. A little on the expensive side ($300) but the flash I'm after comes out of the end of the barrel, lol.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be my user AR, no safe queen here. :) It doesn't have to be "blingy", but more a subtle touch of "class". That bit of color coming through the ejection port. (And the easier cleaning of course.)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I have 2 chrome carriers and a non chrome. chrome is a LOT easier to clean.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Keep in mind, too, that there's a couple stainless carriers out there. I have a Les Baer in one of my rifles, and while it's not a chrome finish, the machining marks could be polished to a high luster. In another rifle I almost put a JP QPQ carrier, which is stainless underneath its nitro-carburized finish.

·
Banned
478 Posts
I haven't fired mine yet, but Kies makes a pretty damn nice NiB coated carrier. I know Brad has suggested it to a few people now who are having good luck with them. I think I paid about $100 for it.

And with Stag Hard chrome parts to finish the group.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i have a RRA chrome bolt. looks very nice, but i had to stake it better thats the only think lacking from the factory. cleans up very nice after shooting. was only $150 complete

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
How many rounds a month/year do you shoot? What type of ammo do you use? What type of lube do you use?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am currently running a Kies nickle boron carrier with a Stag hard chrome bolt. I was disapointed with the chrome quality, fit and finish of the Stag chrome carrier.

Stags finish on the carrier did not seem to last very long. With only around 800 - 1k rounds the chrome was starting to wear. Compared to a higher quality hard chrome that is on my Knights 308 BCG it doesnt hold a candle. The metal prep under the chome is just as important as the chrome process itself. Chrome will take the appearance of the metal underneath, the Stags finish is rough, guessing blasted with a finer media.
Overall the Stag is no doubt a quality part, but their chrome doesnt seem to hold up to the abuse I dish out. Runs without a hiccup and is very easy to clean.

On to the Nib, as mentioned above it looks great when its new but after one use it will have a hazy stain all over. This does not bother me one bit, it is super easy to clean but I dont think it is any easier to clean than chrome over a properly prepped surface.
The fit and finish on the Kies carrier is excellent. It has been in my carbine for somewhere around 500 rounds and is holding up very well.

All depends on how much you want to spend, how much you are going to shoot, what your intended use will be, ammo selection, what lube you will run, etc.

Both the Stag and Kies are recommended from me and both offer a good price point. Though their is nothing wrong with a quality BCG with a black finish.

George

·
Registered
528 Posts
TiN is Titanium Nitride. It visually appears as a gold-ish color (yellow gold, not white gold). It is tougher than chrome, but generally more expensive and the only place that I know that carries TiN parts is DPMS. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does tell you about the coating's overall popularity. I think most folks shy away from it because 1) They don't recognize what it does, 2) They don't like the blinged out look that's part of the package with TiN.

Chrome has been the standard for a long time, not just with BCGs, but chambers and barrels too. For those who don't like Chrome, too bad because the inside of your bolt carrier is chrome, or you have a very old or substandard BCG.

NiB is the new chrome. Nickel Boron has been around for a while (NP3 is a proprietary, but similar coating). It's just that, recently, companies have been marketing "factory" NiB BCGs and trigger groups (Spikes, LWRC) instead of offering it as an aftermarket refinish. NiB is very slick, moreso than chrome, and harder. Additionally, it is supposedly molecularly fused to the metal (have heard conflicting reports on this from refinishers). I think NiB obsoletes chrome, at least on paper (For BCGs at least). I've been able to run an AR unsuppressed for 500 rounds w/o a single drop of lube, just based on the lubricity of my Fail Zero BCG. Probably get a lot less with it suppressed, but have to try it out since i just got my suppressor. The FZ BCG did discolor after a few hundred rounds (turned a bit yellowish), but lost none of its lubricity.

Of the three, I strongly prefer NiB.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many rounds a month/year do you shoot? What type of ammo do you use? What type of lube do you use?
1,000 a year is about right. Perhaps 80-100 a month. It is on a strict diet of crap. Wolf/Tula is all it gets and it loves it. As for lube I use Remoil.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
With that low of use, there is no reason to switch to a pricey BCG. Switch your lube to 10w-30 SYNTHETIC or Froglube. It will require less maintenance than rem oil and will continue to run when it gets hot. use the saved money for more ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Guess I'm old fashioned.
I run a lot of old M16 carriers. Colt when I can find them fairly priced.

I personally don't feel comfortable or buy into the stuff that you supposedly don't need to lube, it's like asking for more wear and failures.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
With that low of use, there is no reason to switch to a pricey BCG. Switch your lube to 10w-30 SYNTHETIC or Froglube. It will require less maintenance than rem oil and will continue to run when it gets hot. use the saved money for more ammo.
Come on, now. This far north you really ought to be running 5W30 or 5W20 Mobil1, as it'll stay thinner in the cold months. This is the thread for lube snobbery, right?

On the upside, Mobil1 is expensive to put in your car, but cheaper than anything made to put in guns. A bottle twice the size of a CLP sprayer is less than half of the price. If you're using it in your car, it's likely you'll have a little left over, anyways. And there's different weights for different guns, where CLP isn't thick enough to do justice in a loose ak, or where you want a thin oil for your precision AR.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I say, the cleaning benefit is just a bonus. I really like the looks of the chromed BCGs. Perhaps even with some custom engraving down the road?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Change your lube first. Cleaning will be WAY easier esp if you use frog lube. Or take a defensive class and you will realize why you need to change your lube very quickly. :) You really can't engrave HC, you have to spray a substance on it that reacts with the laser to leave a black coating behind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts