New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting a lot of thought into my 4 references and I'm having a tough time.

1) I got the OK from one, a Yonkers cop.
2) Thinking about asking my good friends dad, who has been around me a lot and knows I'm a good kid.
3) Also thinking about my dads friend who I dove hunt with, but hes unemployed - don't think that looks good on a reference?
4) My best friend. "Problem" is, he 24 years old like me. Is that too young? My dad said I should use older people.

5) Asked a County cop but he said he was not allowed to endorse me. (I think thats how he put it...)
6) My girlfriends cousins husband worked in law enforcement and is a body guard now...he said OK, but he has only known me for a year...so I don't think I should use him.

So what do you guys think about the unemployed family friend & my best friend? Thoughts/opinions please! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Double-check rules for references within your County, some counties do not allow you to use LEO's as references.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked the reference letter and the handbook, it only says the referee cannot be related to the applicant

·
Registered
114 Posts
I needed 7 references (4 for the application, and 3 from my old county since I haven't been in Monroe for 3 years) ... my four on my application were people I work with (variety of ages .... two guys in their late 20s, one in his 40s, and one in her 60s). All three from my last county were in the 20-22 range, and there was no problem.

How it was explained to me, it's mostly that they want to see that there are people that can say good things about you and that you aren't a total scumbag that nobody is willing to stick out their neck and vouch for. Some counties (Erie, for example) don't let you have people with criminal records be your references, but you don't need your references to be amazing, flawless people.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Maybe I'm overthinking this all. These are all good people who know me well and wouldn't hesitate to say good things about me. I guess thats all they're looking for.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
From what I've heard, it's also good to have females as references as they're typically more anti-2A.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Make sure you coose people who are going to follow through with the paper work in a timely fashion too.
Shoulda mentioned this ... my references were people I worked with that I knew were reliable. Here in Monroe it's just a phone call ... all of my references returned their calls to the officer within 3 hours of the time I sent out an email saying "call this guy". So, my application only spent a day on the investigator's desk -- I imagine that you could be held up for a while if your references take their dear sweet time in getting back to him.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Make sure you coose people who are going to follow through with the paper work in a timely fashion too.
X2!!

Make sure you emphasize to your friends not to put it on the back burner. Had one friend that took him over a month but I really cannot say anything since he is doing me the favor.

James

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I ran into timing delays with one of my references which held up my app a few months. A reference (friend and coworker) decided to move from Niagara into Erie County, he also took a month to mail back the questionnaire, but he was busy moving so I couldn't blame him for that. I was required to get another reference from my County (so I had 5 total, the guy who moved to Erie County was simply a character reference). My neighbor and I are on really good terms so he agreed to provide that 4th Niagara County reference. After the permit office received all the questionnaires, I was interviewed and had my permit a couple months later.

It's good to choose references who stay on top of things and don't put your questionnaire on the back burner for weeks or months before returning it, the permit office is more than happy to wait as long as it takes for everything to be returned. Plan on calling and hounding your references so they don't "forget"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.