New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howard Sullivan, Chenango County Judge is retiring at the end of year, and Chenango residents are going to be voting for another judge in November. This is important as far as gun rights go, because of course the county judge is the licensing officer, and has a lot of leeway deciding who does and doesn't get a pistol permit. So I'm starting this post in order to gather and share information about the candidates. Here they are so far and what I know about them (very little):

Joseph McBride (R) - Joseph McBride
Frank Revoir (R) - Home - Coalition to Elect Frank Revoir Jr. Chenango County Court Judge
Diane DiStefano (D) - http://distefano2012.com/

I'm currently contacting the above to find out their views directly. If anybody has any information (or especially if you know either of these guys personally), it'd be great to have some info.

News:

Frank Revoir has gotten back to me, directing me to a post (by him) on his Facebook page. In a nutshell, he says this: he's pro-gun, and a gun owner and shooter himself. He thinks the current system in Chenango County works well, but he does want to streamline the process if possible (he mentioned reducing cost and wait time).

Joe McBride, according to people who know him personally is 2nd Amendment friendly, possibly even moreso than the current judge Howard Sullivan.

Diane DiStefano seems to be a liberal democrat, running on a typical democratic platform. I have sent her a letter (snail mail), asking her views directly, and I will post with more information once that's available.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I know a colleague of McBride who'll give me an unvarnished assessment of his disposition towards protecting individual rights.

Will update once I've spoken with him.

Howard Sullivan was a well liked Judge, he will be missed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howard Sullivan was a well liked Judge, he will be missed.
He will indeed.

I just called McBride to ask directly, and he couldn't really give me a straight answer as to 2nd Amendment views. Based on what he said, I'm not even sure he knew about his responsibilities and privileges as pistol licensing officer. However, he also said he was in the middle of a trial and that I should try back. But he does provide his cellphone number on his website, which is good. An inside scoop would be wonderful.

I tried calling Revoir twice, on different days, and I got a secretary who said that he'd just stepped out but that he'd call me back if I left a name and number. I did. No call back. Anyone know anything about this guy?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Spoke with some locals this weekend and here's the update.

McBride is 2nd Amendment friendly and a good replacement for Sullivan.

This, according to 2 attorneys who know him well, and for a LONG time.

They both say McBride is well suited for the job, and even friendlier to 2nd Amendment rights than Sullivan was.

That was a pleasant surprise to me, given Sullivan's reputation for being friendly to gun owners rights.

DiStefano is your typical liberal democrat, and ought to be avoided like the plague.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, GuyMontag.

From what I understand (I haven't been in the area long enough), Sullivan used to be a lot less pro-gun in his earlier days than he was in the past decade or so.

I figured as much about DiStefano. But I'm always happy to be proved wrong...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, moderators, is there any chance we can get this stickied? Perhaps not now, but closer to the elections?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I have met with Judge Sullivan on a number of occasions and found him to be a straight up, no BS kind of person. I will wish him well in his retirement.

I am confident his replacement will continue to advance not only permit system in Chenango, but the idea of reasonable issuance of the permits themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to have stumbled on this post. Frank seems like a pretty upstanding guy. Very community minded. McBride though, personally I don't like the guy. I don't get that "community" vibe from him. He may be "2nd Amendment Friendly", but Frank seems to have a great one on one connection with people. And the fact that he is, himself, a gun owner and shooter, makes him walk the walk, instead of just appearing to be pro rights. He is a current member of the Lost Pond Gun Club. Just hearing that McBride seems uninformed about the licensing duties, and not giving a straight honest answer makes me wonder if he understands the job as well as he portrays. Plus, I don't like the idea of someone who has been a DA for so long, taking on a judge seat. Makes you wonder if they can be objective and really listen to the "other" side, after getting used to the train of thought as a prosecutor for as long as he has been in that job. It will be a race to watch for sure.
NYRifleMan, if you want to see what Frank is all about, check on his website and come out to one of his social gatherings and ask him. He is always going somewhere, showing up at some event. According to his website, he's going to be at the New Berlin Firehouse, on Monday at 7.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts