New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pistol permit that was issued to me in 1972 in Chemung county. I am currently living in Tompkins county. My wife has decided that she wants to apply for a permit in Tompkins, so I picked up an application for her. I noticed that the reasons for applying for a permit on the Tompkins county permit are 1 - Carry Concealed, 2 - Possess on Premises, and 3 - Possess / Carry during employment. When I got my permit there was no differentiation between carry concealed and carry exposed that I know of. There are no restrictions listed on the permit and no expiration. My question(s) are does my permit allow me to leagally carry concealed? and Is the permit still valid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well.....I think you are going to have to transfer your Chemung County permit to your new residence in Tompkins County. Tompkins does not issue unrestricted permits. They are restricted to hunting and target practice only. I'm not sure what that would do to your original permit, but I suspect that it would become restricted. She should apply for concealed carry, but is unlikely to get it without restrictions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should call Chemung county, or take a ride down there. A friend just told me that it was possible to change your address with Chemung County and keep your unrestricted permit. Transfering to Tompkins you may end up with a restricted. In any event you are required by law to have the correct address on your permit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point,I will probably just update the address on the Chemung County permit. Just an fyi - The Tompkins county permit app only has Carry Concealed, carry for job, or carry on premisis for reasons to a permit now.

·
Registered
926 Posts
chemung did issue concealled carry years ago. I do believe you will have to transfer your permit to the county you live in now. I had a guy a few years ago buy a pistol from me. He had moved from chemung to steuben and didn't transfer his permit. He check into it filled out the forms. I held onto his pistol for 4 months before he got his tranfer though and could pick it up.

no matter if they only issue restricted you what to mark 1 and 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts