New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a restricted, hunting and target, permit in chemung county. I sent a letter to the judge asking to have the restrictions removed, for various reasons. He sent me back a letter, 4 weeks later, stating to get another background check and deliver the results to the pistol permit clerk. i did that, with a clean record. i dropped it off 4 weeks ago today. When I dropped it off, I figured the decision to grant me an unrest permit was made, drop off the clean record, and pick up my new permit. but of course it wasn' that easy. I dropped it off and the clerk said " I'll put it in your file, you'll get another letter in a few weeks" what crap! You would think, fr the sake of convenience, that the judge would have told the clerk that as long as I have a clean record to go ahead and issue the new permit. Why wait more than a month to get me to turn in a new BG check, and then wait several more weeks for a decision that should have already been made!

here is my question, is there any Chemung county residents that have requested to have their restrictions removed? If so, what was your experience? Also, and chemung county residents that were granted an unrestricted permit to begin with?

This has been a huge hassle! I guess their thought is if they make it a convenient process, then no one will ever ask for their constitutional rights to be granted!

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is not good to hear. I submitted my app for unrestricted along with the pistol permit along with letter back in Feb. Still waiting. Will let you know how this goes. I wish I had more options, because I would move out of this HORRIBLE state. Good luck with your extended wait.

·
Registered
225 Posts
...I guess their thought is if they make it a convenient process, then no one will ever ask for their constitutional rights to be granted!
You are correct, sir.

I know that Dave from Rochester Personal Defense does some "permit upgrade" training that has worked in a number of counties--he can probably give you some info on Chemung if he has contacts or experience with the process there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Request for upgrades in Chemung County are currently taking up to 8-10 weeks, or more. The clerk should have told you to have the Backround Check done prior to submission of your letter. Would have saved a bit of time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
We do indeed have the class that will help. I know of 4 that have gotten their full carry after attending. I do not think the judge specifically mandates training to get the full carry, but I know it does help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts