New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shouldn't even have to point out the failure of following common sense safety rules with this one...but from a shotgun inside an apartment complex in a densely populated suburb? Really?

Accidental gunfire nearly kills woman | WIVB.com

WIVB said:
Authorities say 29-year-old Timothy Waker negligently fired the gun in an upper apartment on Wanda Avenue Monday morning. The blast narrowly missed his downstairs neighbor, who was sleeping in the apartment below.
Fixed that quote since I had trouble making sense of "accidentally" pulling the trigger. I'd say this guy is up sh**s creek without a paddle.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
No excuse for a ND ever. I find it disgusting that he was charged and the Tioga county judge that just had an ND in a COURT HOUSE was not (at least I don't think he was). They should both be charged.

· Registered
387 Posts
I lived in a Cheektowaga apt complex in the early 80's. One day the Police knocked on my door, and asked if they could come in. I asked why and they said they wanted to see if a bullet had passed though any of my walls from something that happened the night before when I was out. Some things never change I guess....

LMS

· Registered
1,797 Posts
this is shocking to me. i have been a gun owner for the past 12 years. my dad has always been anti guns so i never got taught anything except guns are bad from him. and yet i have never had an ND. even more shocking is the stories from people i know that have shot their floors, stairs, walls, etc. i just dont get it.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
I've only been a firearm owner for ~3-4 years and I've never had a ND. I've had an AD... on state land that i was useing for a range... with my firearm pointed at a target in a safe direction... because the trigger retaining pin on my wasr walked out and instead of the trigger resetting it want off again. ND shouldn't happen.

· Registered
6,222 Posts
I'd like to know how this happened? Even if it's a fairly old thread.

· Registered
948 Posts
Be careful when you say you have never had an acidental/neglegent discharge. When someone comes to investigate, they can look the same. I have an old CZ52. It has a decocker but you have to be very careful how you use it or you will fire the gun, if you intend to or not. It is not a malfunction, but the way the decocker is designed.

I know a very experienced person that told me "never use that decocker, I have never seen one work correctly" Well, maybe "correctly" to his requirements, but they all work "correctly" to their design. You have to handle that decocker like you were thumbing down the hammer an old SAA.

So, why did I mention the CZ52? Well, on to a shotgun. I own a Model 1897 Winchester, built in 1903. It is an exposed hammer pump shotgun. And how do you decock that shotty? Like an old SAA revolver, you thumb the hammer down. Yes, you pull the trigger, with your thumb on the the hammer, and like the decocker, if you thumb slips off, and there is a round in the chamber, it will go bang.

So, if you thumb slips off,,,,is it acidental? or neglegent? and how are you going to prove that difference to LE that comes to visit if they have never handled you stye weapon.

I just want to warn you...don't be so swift to condem someone else for their mistakes...OK? The self righteous "I've never done that" is like falling off of a horse..."haven't ridden much have you?"

· Registered
1,384 Posts
.... is it acidental? or neglegent?....
The difference between an AD and an ND is negligence. If you are handling a firearm and it goes off your either pointed at something you intend to shoot or your breaking safety rules. If you are breaking 1 rule a discharge can happen, 2 rules and something bad can happen. The article is about a person who had their finger on the trigger and the firearm pointed in an unsafe direction. That is negligence.

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Probably loading it and chambered a round while his finger was on the trigger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.