New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, just want to know if any members here got any experience traveling from rochester to atlanta by US Airways? I'm on a business trip next couple weeks, been thinking to bring my ccw glock with me during my trip down south. I read that you just need to put the pistol on a locked container and lock up the ammunition seperated from the pistol case. do you guys had any good/bad experience traveling out from Rochester???
any experience in Atlanta airport or Rochester airport? please share.
btw, I got my utah/florida/PA and NY permits. THanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
GA is one of the most gun friendly places in the nation now. I don't see it being an issue there. Search the forum ... There's lots of good advice regarding air travel and guns

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
The NRA site has all of the rules that pertain to this . I have used it before when traveling . All I do is have 1 case for pistols or revolvers then throw the ammo into the case that I'm checking also . I'm pretty much covered or you can check your pistol box then stop at the store upon arrival in Atlanta to pickup ammo . Either way it's 6 of one and half of another .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, I will have to transfer in NC, before getting to Atlanta. I just curious to hear what happen when you declare you have a pistol at the counter with the airline agent? does he/she call the sheriff to check you stuff before checking in your luggage? thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Here is how it works when I fly from Albany NY to Charlotte NC

It was no problem at all, as soon as I arrived I told the ticket agent that I would be declaring two handguns and that he should call for a Deputy now to save time.
He thanked me and called on the radio for TSA and a Sheriff.
TSA arrived first and I had already opened my bag before they got there, TSA looked at both locked metal gun cases and saw that my ammo was in the original boxes and said I was good to go as soon as the Deputy cleared me.
The Deputy arrived, I had my pistol permit in hand and we exchanged Hellos, he looked at my permit, never looked at the guns or the boxes.
He told TSA and the ticket agent that I was good to go and wished me a safe trip.
I told the ticket agent to make sure that my bag was checked right through to Charlotte since I did have to switch planes in Newark.
Both the TSA officer and the ticket agent got a laugh out of that saying, "Yeah, nobody wants to deal with crap in Jersey"
All went well and very quick if you prepare ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Here is how it works when I fly from Albany NY to Charlotte NC

It was no problem at all, as soon as I arrived I told the ticket agent that I would be declaring two handguns and that he should call for a Deputy now to save time.
He thanked me and called on the radio for TSA and a Sheriff.
TSA arrived first and I had already opened my bag before they got there, TSA looked at both locked metal gun cases and saw that my ammo was in the original boxes and said I was good to go as soon as the Deputy cleared me.
The Deputy arrived, I had my pistol permit in hand and we exchanged Hellos, he looked at my permit, never looked at the guns or the boxes.
He told TSA and the ticket agent that I was good to go and wished me a safe trip.
I told the ticket agent to make sure that my bag was checked right through to Charlotte since I did have to switch planes in Newark.
Both the TSA officer and the ticket agent got a laugh out of that saying, "Yeah, nobody wants to deal with crap in Jersey"
All went well and very quick if you prepare ahead of time.
That's crazy, I've checked my CCW dozens of times and never had to involve TSA or police. You fill out the unloaded form and you're on your way...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You can find what the process is elsewhere here and on other sites (actually, I should write an article on this since it is a common question...anyway).

The following exceptions have come up for me recently which are worth sharing. The first one, the gate agent insisted that my entire bag must be locked which is not true. Previously, I had been using one of those little GunSafe lockboxes just thrown in my suitcase. I retain the key. This was fine for many trips, but this agent seemed to think that the entire bag had to have a lock and that it HAD to be a TSA lock. Ultimately the bag cleared security and I was on my way, but it was annoying to have to (politely) argue with the gate agent about what the rules were. The manager took me aside after and said that whether or not I was right, just get a lock for the bag next time to avoid the drama. Kind of irritating.

Secondly, for a long, long time, I traveled with loaded mags, stored separately from the gun. Most of the time, when I get to my destination, I begin a long car ride through the desert where I don't have cell service, so I like to be able to load up and go. I believe I was probably in the wrong on this, although the wording from TSA just says stored separately from the gun in a container, which technically a magazine is. At any rate, leaving Arizona once, the gate agent provided me with an empty box of HST to put all my ammo in, he gets them from the local police for this occasion. In the future I would probably store the ammo separately in a plastic box, but loading up magazines in the airport parking lot is just about the last thing I want to be doing. I can tell you unloading mags in the middle of the airport is not fun, lots of looks :) Probably better in AZ than it would be in NY though.

I've also gotten gate agents who had NO IDEA what the rules are. They are like you want to check a GUN?! I've had some say ok show me it is unloaded at which point I pulled back the slide and they just about had a heart attack. I've had others who don't even need to see the gun. The majority ask to see it, I show them, and they say "Ok...its unloaded, right?" kind of nervously to which I respond yes.

The most important part is to KNOW THE RULES, and be calm and polite at all times. You may have to do some educating, and remember that you are representing ALL GUN OWNERS when you do this. Be the most professional, responsible person you can be, this is how we win hearts and minds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Another good source of info would be to call the airline and ask the procedure. Just a thought.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I fly to Charlotte quite often because my son lives there, I take guns with me every time I visit. Just this past weekend I did a 3 Gun Shoot just outside of Charlotte, my AR's now reside in North Carolina waiting for me to join them upon retirement.
I have flown out of Stewart Airport in Newburgh and out of Albany, every trip is a little different due to dealing with different officers on duty, never an issue flying in or out.
Most times I would say the process took about 10 minutes and that includes waiting for an officer to arrive once he's called by the ticket agent.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys, just an update on this thread, I just came back from my trip. so, as for Rochester, after I told the ticket agent I'm checking in the pistol, she got out the red-orange looking card for me to sign, basically, just stated that the firearm checking in is not loaded! painless, no TSA or Sheriff involved at all. coming back from Atlanta, it is the same.
on the side note, I got a day free so I check out some indoor range in downtown, one is really cool, Quick Shoot shooting range, you can rent pistols to full auto HK-MP5,HK-G36, Kriss Vector, Glock 18. not cheap. but definately worth the trip, now I know what freedom feels like. The range is clean and very modern. very different than all the shooting ranges I visited in WNY. It is really hard to imagine to have a shooting range you can rent and shoot full auto within the city limit! not gonna happen in NYC or Rochester or any place in NY for sure....

Quickshot Shooting Range - Home

the other range I visit is Sandy Springs Gun Club And Range
I rented Daniel Defense SBR with suppressor, and OMG, it is much pleasant to shoot with suppressor on the AR! there were people there shooting on the next lane, it was much louder compare my rifle. i don't understand why would suppresor not legal in NY? it cut the noise down, good for the shooter and especially shooting range closer to residential areas. neighbour would complaint less. it is a win win for everyone.
overall experience is great in a free state and city, even I saw news there were gang related shooting or crimes in different neighbourhoods. but no cry baby sharpton or MAIG people coming out to say annoying stupid thing. everyone is very pro gun. even the news media there. I guess NY really sucks after visiting a free state...can't wait to move out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts