New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a great price on a Remington 770 chambered in a .308 --- $280 and change! I waited all weekend because it wouldn't let me process the order online late friday night and when I called they said I had to purchase through their sales department (apparently they have a couple different ones) and sales wouldn't be open until Monday morning.

So I shop around locally and do my waiting, then I go to purchase online today (and have shipped to an FFL here), and it still wont go through!!

So I call...NOWWWW they tell me that they will not ship to NYS at all, not even to an FFL.

buncha jurks!

/rant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gah! Checking now! I was there friday night and they were $350. I got excited and started the paperwork for a .270 one but decided I wanted a .308 instead and told them to cancel it this morning.

Just my luck lol

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you have a walmart around you that sells guns , they have them for 297.00 in there add this week

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ryan sorry I missed your call.

A thing to keep in mind is that a 770 /= to a 700.

The 770 is the bargain basement gun. Get a 700 or a savage 10

Jason has a 7mm it is not fun to shoot alot. The 308 would be the best all around choice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know the 770 isnt the best gun in the world, im just looking for a gun that i can take to the range and put some holes in targets 150-200yds out thats not gonna make me spend $1/round or $500+ on the gun itself. thats why i want the 770.

gander has them in a 30-06, .270, .243, 7mm, 300 win mag and 243 compact.

walmart only has the 7mm

i cant find anyone local that has it chambered in a .308 :( --- suggestions based on the aforementioned chambers and uses???

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
call dicks, they have "dicks only" versions of the 700 and savages that they sell in combos for way less than other stores. They are the same and usually have green stocks.

If you want a cheap range toy for those distances I would get a Savage 17 HMR.

Very accurate cheaper ammo and can do what you want for allot less.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
for gun selection or non **** head sales people?

Gun selection should be about the same, Greece had more in when I last bought something from them.

For non **** head sales people, well it is a box store you never know what you are going to get.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They won't ship ANYTHING to NYS? Wow, that's terrible. I'd say I won't do business with them because of this, but they've taken care of that for me.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Why not look at a 700 in various forms...Dick's has the 700ADL on sale for around $349 with a scope a lot, and why not look into .223 if your just going to shoot paper?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Not shipping a Bolt action rifle to NY? Well, that IS enough to make me not buy anything from them. It is bigotry to say "YOUR STATE SUCKS SO MUCH SO I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN YOUR LAWS HAR HAR HAR!" At least show me this CTD: Name one state in which that 770 is illegal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
welp, against the suggestions, I just ordered a 770 .308 off gander for $300. I checked with Dicks and the 700's are above $500 for the .308's.

I specifically wanted a .308 because of the milsur ammo prices and i like the stock on the 770. itll be something I can build over the course of time, new barrel, bolt, etc. i suppose.

·
Registered
556 Posts
yea it sucks. when i was looking for a .380, they had the best prices on them even after an ffl transfer. tried to order and they say that they were in the process of sorting the legal issues out to make sure that they only sell legal guns to NYS. that is complete BS, there are how many other sites that ship to NYS and cheaper than dirt cant figure out the laws.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
itll be something I can build over the course of time, new barrel, bolt, etc. i suppose.
no it won't - There are practically 0 aftermarket parts for this gun - no bolt improvements unless you have it custom done. you can't change the barrel, and the stock kinda sucks right out of the bag- plastic sling swivel studs and the action does not include a trigger guard - the stock does. Your better off spending the extra cash and getting a 700.

Not to mention the action is absolutely horrendous on these guns and their is a known issue where the bolt will get stuck after shooting, and the bolt can actually fall out the back when you pull it backwards. Take it from someone who owns one of these.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Honestly I blame NY not cheaper than dirt. If i were selling guns, I wouldn't want to worry about breaking one of ny's stupid laws either.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts