New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we no longer have to put up with COBIS, maybe the gun shops will get more realistic on their prices. A few dollars more to make a profit is ok but charging $150 to $200 more than say BUDS on line sales is just wrong. I even had a store worker tell me ..and I DO QUOTE...."well Buds is so cheap because he sells SECONDS, not first rate new guns"!!! Nice to be able to order a new gun online and not pay up to $50 to a FFL and another fee of $50 for the FFL to take it to get COBIS done. Another gripe is some of these gun shops take advantage of new permit applicants by overcharging, selling older models for more than newer models, selling crap guns to unsuspecting newbies and then not even taking them in on trade when a person comes back and tell them the gun is bad. The dealer, if he has any kind of relationship with the manufacturer can turn the gun in and get a credit or a new gun as a replacement.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Well, what may start happening is people will use the local gun shop as a showroom and buy the gun they like online from someone else at a discount price. Best Buy is learning this the hard way and will be closing stores as a result... and in spite of wanting to support the local businessman, I'll likely go the same route too to save $100-200 - even after shipping and FFL fees.

I recognize these guys need to make a profit, and NY being NY... doing business as a gun dealer here is no walk in the park - but they gotta be competitive in the world of online retailing.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I hear ya man, I prefer buying guns at a local shop just because I have never purchased one online and having it shipped to a ffl and the transfers and everything I'll either pay a little more at a local shop or just not buy it at all. Maybe in the future I'll adventure to the online firearm purchases.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its me and my wife took a hour drive to get are guns we have some good mom&pops gun shop around here they just don't have the inventory with out buying it online. I want to buy 1 of them hi point 9mm carbine went to the gun shop and he told me that Zack Sports has a lot of them he side he went down and got 1 . Seen how many handguns he had started looking wife found a realy nice 1 i found 1 we bought 2 hi point 9mm carbine on the way home we picked up are app for are handguns went back down the next day and bought are handguns real nice guys good price i think i payed $20 dollars more then what it was online and i got to hold see how it felt and they have a big inventory of long guns handguns

http://www.zackssports.com/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its me and my wife took a hour drive to get are guns we have some good mom&pops gun shop around here they just don't have the inventory with out buying it online. I want to buy 1 of them hi point 9mm carbine went to the gun shop and he told me that Zack Sports has a lot of them he side he went down and got 1 . Seen how many handguns he had started looking wife found a realy nice 1 i found 1 we bought 2 hi point 9mm carbine on the way home we picked up are app for are handguns went back down the next day and bought are handguns real nice guys good price i think i payed $20 dollars more then what it was online and i got to hold see how it felt and they have a big inventory of long guns handguns

http://www.zackssports.com/
My BRAIN!!!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is an interesting question from an economics perspective. I believe that prices on new hand guns should come down as a result of COBIS ending. COBIS (just like any other type of government regulation) definitely added to the cost of new hand guns, which dealers pass on to us customers.

How long it will take for prices to go down is another matter. If you are a proponent of the Classical school of economics, you would believe that prices should adjust immediately. Keynesian economists will tell you that prices are "sticky" and take a while to adjust. Normally I lean towards the Classical way of thinking, however I can see where new hand gun prices could "stick" at the current high levels due to old inventory and the fact that dealers probably think they can pocket the savings from not having to comply with COBIS. Both schools of thought will tell you that prices will fall due to competition, it's just a matter of when.

Demand side shocks in the market such as microstamping or the upcoming election could confound the issue, so we may not actually see the prices go down, they may just not go up as much as they would if COBIS was still in place.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Adk I have to give you credit that, was a grammatical masterpiece.
Will i have a bad case of dyslexia growing up with people like you made it awsome so i don't have the best grammar but i run a $ 90,000 dollar a year company . So i might have bad grammar but i have people like you that have good grammar work for me at like $10 dollars hour so keep digging

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting for the prices to drop.Most of the time the prices are high,because theres not alot of new guns around.Supply and demand.You want the newest+baddeest toy,then pay up !!! Ditto for Ammo. Most manufacturers won't sell to NY,as they have to make their high cap mags into ten rounders to comply with our idiotic mag restriction.That costs money and the consumer willl pay in the end,one way or the other.I'm lucky that my good friend is an FFL and I pay him with reloads.If he can get me what I'm looking for,I'll pay him up to 10% over what I can get it for online.Usually he can't come close to what I can find it for online.Even without the cobus check,you'll still have to pay sales,Easter bunny and carbon tax to NY state.Double that for city folk.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Most manufacturers won't sell to NY,as they have to make their standard cap mags into lo ten rounders to comply with our idiotic mag restriction..
Fixed it for you.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
prices may not drop, but it made my Sig P250 transfer from a CT FFL to NY a lot easier since they shipped w/o a casing.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Will i have a bad case of dyslexia growing up with people like you made it awsome so i don't have the best grammar but i run a $ 90,000 dollar a year company . So i might have bad grammar but i have people like you that have good grammar work for me at like $10 dollars hour so keep digging
Wait, not to go off topic or start some flame war, but you run a $90,000 a YEAR company & your bragging about that? So if you run a $90,000 a year company and pay people $10 an hour to work for you, I wouldn't be bragging about that.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Wait, not to go off topic or start some flame war, but you run a $90,000 a YEAR company & your bragging about that? So if you run a $90,000 a year company and pay people $10 an hour to work for you, I wouldn't be bragging about that.
:lurk:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Generally speaking I'm willing to pay more for a product from a local business, within reason.
What extra cost did COBIS tack on, besides with guns from companies don't supply the spent cases?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
But you're doing it. Play nice.

Back on topic? Good.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree...I dont think the elimination of COBIS will change much. Most NEW guns ship with the cartridge Ive found. I like to Support LGS but...there are some I just had to go FFL with. Thats why you are seeing the FFL fee go up so much. A place or two that I know of in rochester atleast have a SECOND TIER FFL fee if your buying from BUDS!! Trying to price them out buy adding a crazy fee more than say if buy from another retailer. Sounds to me like buds is killing the Local Gun Store. I think the 10 round limit has its place in our pricing but when you can still get a 10rd online for 200 cheaper..that says something...other states I think have 10rd limits so..they sorta gotta make em.

my nickels worth...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts