New York Firearms Forum banner

Cheap but durable bluing kit?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  urjustamemory 
#1 ·
I don't have alot of cash, recently found out there were some friction points on my SAR-1 AK on the gas piston/bolt carrier assembly, I carefully filed them off just a little bit and sanded them nice and smooth with scotch bright. My AK now cycles very very smoothly compared to before, but now of course I have bare spots on my bolt carrier and piston assembly, I want to touch up the bluing on them (my bolt carrier was already blued when I got it) but I don't have alot to spend, any suggestions?

PS - dont worry I'm not an idiot :p I didnt sand down the piston head itself, just a select few places on the "op rod" I guess u could call it to increase the smoothness.

#2 ·
birchwood casey blueing kit. should be under $20. Dick's carries it as do some LGS's. You can order them online too. 3oz bottle is plenty

Perma Blue Birchwood Casey: Finishing Details

#5 ·
Both of the links look like very good products, I may go ahead and try both on different projects, thank you guys for the information. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.