New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Her attitude about her decision and the woman's subsequent death pretty much tells the story. I can understand how a person could get jaded over time working in the emergency medical field, but it's scary to think there are others like her tasked with responding to life or death scenarios.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I still want to know what the hell she was arrested for. Violating departmental policy (the so-called "flag down" rule) is not a criminal act. There is no legal obligation for someone who is not "on duty" to render care, nor is there a legal obligation for someone to render care if it's not part of their responsibilities in the EMS system.

Now morally... well... karma's a bitch.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am a paramedic and legally she did nothing wrong, her being on break put her out of the duty to act law. BUT on a moral standpoint this woman is a piece of work. As far as what type of care she could provide for Asthma, well without nebulizers it is very limited. She could have maintained an airway if needed, you can do that with simple jaw thrust if the woman became unconcious, she could have performed CPR when the woman coded. Other than that just a simple reassurance that help would be coming probably would have helped greatly, but it is her decision, I will say the city of NY will be sued in a civil court as well as this dispatcher, and the burdon of proof is much less the criminal so money will be flowing to this womans family who passed away.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well, this is helpful in one way. Now I know that if I am in fear for my life and I have a choice to seek aid from an EMT or a LEO, I should choose the EMT since they can be held liable if they do not respond.

EMTs need a better union so they can get exempted from all the gun laws in NY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.