New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did't know if this should be in the laws or here.

I am wondering if its legal to changing the color of a handgun slide / barrel and or the frame. I tried to google up some laws but no answers i could find.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I don't believe there is any such current law in regards to what color you can paint a gun in either the federal or NY state laws, though IIRC such laws have been proposed.
I did however find this specific Nassau County regulation

Nassau County, New York - Miscellaneous Laws (http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/website/GenericServices/docs/NassauCountyMiscLaws_Dec2008.pdf) - December 31, 2008 (page 172 of PDF file)
TITLE 69 - DECEPTIVELY COLORED HANDGUN LAW
§ 3. Definitions.
b) The term "deceptively colored handgun" shall include any handgun which has a substantial portion of its exterior surface colored any color other than black, brown, grey, silver, steel, nickel or army green. ...
§ 4. Violations.
b) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a deceptively colored handgun or a deceptive coloring product except as authorized by section 6 of this title or for any person to attempt to possess a deceptively colored handgun or a deceptive coloring product except as authorized by section 6 of this title.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
NYC is a big NO-NO in that regard. Not NYS unless it is county specific.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That Nassau Co. thing has me wondering about all those guns, especially in recent years, that have been marketed to women with pink frames and such. That law would seem to put them in violation and I'd be very curious to find out from any Nassau Co. resident members whether or not those guns are sold in local stores there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts