New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost a tree last weekend in the wind storms. About to clean it up and am out of Bar and Chain oil. Anybody use motor oil? Have a case of Mobil 1 that's been sitting in my garage for past 20 years, lol. Personally, I think it should be fine for the bar, possibly better, but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Yeah as long as something is lubricating the chain you are fine. Bar and chain oil is just lower grade stuff, Mobile 1 will do the job just fine.

· Registered
9,724 Posts
Heck I've used motor oil, Gear lube, Klotz, Maxima and other pre mix oils and even vegetable/cooking oil as a last ditch effort. The lighter the oil the bigger the mess, but it will at least put something on the bar and chain.

· Registered
138 Posts
It will be fine but chickin shoot is right the thinner it is the faster it will run thru the oiler. Maybe try some used oil from the kitchen so when your burning it in the fireplace you will get that nice french fry smell ...mmmm

· Registered
6,189 Posts
Bar oil is thicker and tends to have anti-fling additives in it. With my saw, I go through bar oil at pretty close to the same rate as the gas, so when I run out of gas, I fill up the bar oil too. Using motor oil, you'll run out a LOT faster, so keep an eye on it.

· Registered
462 Posts
My uncle used to use Automatic Transmission Fluid(For some reason putting ATF down seemed funny to me). Yes most any oil will work, but as stated above keep your eye on the fluid level.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, it turns out I had a quart of bar oil in the chainsaw case so I used that. Tree's down and bucked up. What a PITA, lol. Reminds me I'm not in the same shape I used to be, lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.