New York Firearms Forum banner

cetme regulations in ny

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  upacreek 
#1 ·
anyone know when century arms started importing these?
are preban mags available

anyone have one? id love to hear about them

there is one for sale in pa just over the border and the price is great, so i was considering grabbing it. im looking at about 450 with ffl fees. does that seem fair for a slightly beat up cetme

also need to know what would have to be done to it to make it ny legal

#3 ·
anyone know when century arms started importing these?
are preban mags available

anyone have one? id love to hear about them

there is one for sale in pa just over the border and the price is great, so i was considering grabbing it. im looking at about 450 with ffl fees. does that seem fair for a slightly beat up cetme

also need to know what would have to be done to it to make it ny legal
as long as it doesnt have a folding stock or something like that, and the muzzle break is welded on it should be NY legal. There are tons of preban mags available, apparently I have heard you can score them for 2 bucks a pop, 450 is about 100 below the normal price I have seen them for (550 usually) keep in mind they sometimes have serious headspace issues and cycling /FTF or FTE problems, the older they are the better I have heard, as they started to import some real bottom of the barrel stuff later on, there were some for sale on here, check the firearms for sale section, there are a few guys on there that have owned and sold/bought them, maybe give them a PM and ask about them they would know alot more then I do about them, I have only been doing research on them cuz I want to grab one.

#4 · (Edited)
yeah im only taking it as part of a trade for a o/u ill never use and a semiauto shotgun i cant get a rifled barrel for

never heard of them before yesterday, now im beginning to like the idea

sounds like it will make a nice bear/deer rifle

destructo, where can i find these mags for 2 bucks?

#6 · (Edited)
yeah im only taking it as part of a trade for a o/u ill never use and a semiauto shotgun i cant get a rifled barrel for

never heard of them before yesterday, now im beginning to like the idea

sounds like it will make a nice bear/deer rifle

destructo, where can i find these mags for 2 bucks?

this one appears to be an early import because it still has a 3 position selector that has been civilianized
You have to shop around and you are gonna wanna make sure they are preban, usually you can find lots of of them for sale, by "lots" I mean like 25 or 30 sold at a bulk all in one price like this:

H&K 91 G3 PTR Cetme 20 rd. magazines box of 36 : HK Parts at GunBroker.com

36 of them for 110, rounds out to about 3 bucks a pop, check the dates (alot of these mags are preban since then haven't used a .308 caliber as a main battle rifle in many countries since the 80s) turn in or sell the ones that aren't preban ASAP to people who can legally own them and even if you had to get rid of a dozen still averages like 4.75 per mag for 24 mags.

this site is good as it actually caters to ban states (under details it lists the ban status, these are "pre-ban")

HK G3 Mags : H&K G3 20 Round Magazines on sale now! - Keepshooting®

if it is part of a trade I'd say you have nothing to lose, put a few dollars into it and some light work even if it is one of the crappy ones and you could have yourself a nice semi auto .308, think of it as a low end M14 with lots and lots of preban available. Also PTR91 and HK G3 mags are said to fit these CETMEs.

These are also preban

http://www.keepshooting.com/german-h-k-g3-steel-magazine.html

#9 ·
Nightshift let me shoot his at Alabama swamps and it was pretty awesome. The recoil was less than my psl, and nightshift's groupings where amazing, mine...not so much.

#10 ·
I have a couple Cetmes with zero issues. They work just fine.

Musical instrument Wood Vehicle Bumper Music

#12 ·
These things fire a .308, even if that deer wasn't killed with the CETME, they are way more then capable, just make sure you have a 5 round mag or mod one of those cheap ass 20 rounders to only hold 5.

#14 ·
I had a Cetme,and loved it. This was back in the days of cheap Port ammo($150 per K shipped),and even the "nasty" Indain stuff that was
$50 a tin of 640.(I think it was 640)
Sold her a number of years ago due to the cost of ammo.
You might want to read up on checking "bolt gap"and "bolt grinding".
If you do the trade,you want a good one.

#17 ·
on my second range trip out with this i tried 308 ammo instead of the 7.62x51 nato stuff
the nato blackened the mechanics so i spent all day saturday after firing cleaning but i must say this rifle works very well with sporting 308 ammo

i have a max range of 190 yards available to me and was making shoe box sized groups with it and some wolf 308 copper jacketed

anyone know if i can load soft point, copper jacketed in these?
with the lower recoil in the 308 rounds in comparison to nato rounds i can see this being a deer slayer, just not with this fmj ammo.

as always thanks in advance for knowledge guys. im on the fence right now as far as keeping her
i like the rounds (they punch well through brush) they remind me of a 3030 on steroids

#18 ·
If it functions well I would say soft point and hollow point should be fine, if you have a properly working CETME it'll feed rounds as reliably as an AK (according to reviews I have read, I haven't laid my hands on one myself yet) the worst that can happen is that it possibly jams, it shouldn't hurt the rifle, buy a box of each and give it a try, congrats on the hew rifle, if you decide you don't like it - hold it for me XD

#19 ·
i like the rifle
i love the round (but think id like it more in a bolt)
if 308 was cheaper i would keep it but 3 things annoy me about it
1 it actually kicks like a mule
2 308/ 762 nato is expensive
3 it gets very dirty very fast with any type of loads, it appears as though its the dirtiest gun ive ever handled

destruktoboi id consider trades for tons of stuff, but id advise you try firing it first. its an aquired taste and lacks ergonomics id like to see in a battle rifle

#21 ·
I adore my CETME I'm even considering putting an optic on her, the only thing I dislike is the trigger is a bit heavy and long which will be fixed in the near future. The reason for the dirtyness of the rifle is the delayed blow back action of the rifle. It has a fluted chamber that uses the gas to "float" the brass for ease of extraction.
Plant Shooting range Tree Air gun Hat

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Plant Wood

Organism Finger Material property Circle Nickel

#23 ·
I adore my CETME I'm even considering putting an optic on her, the only thing I dislike is the trigger is a bit heavy and long which will be fixed in the near future. The reason for the dirtyness of the rifle is the delayed blow back action of the rifle. It has a fluted chamber that uses the gas to "float" the brass for ease of extraction.

View attachment 9201
wow, now that looks like something id keep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.