New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this isn't in the wrong place. Thought some of you might fir the bill for these positions.

Certified Pipe Welder ---- 2 - 3 month duration and could work into more.

short arc root with flux core fill and cover. 6G 6" sched. 80---- test required.

Pipe Fitter--- 2 - 3 month duration and could work into more.

Must know you way around big bore Carbon Steel piping.

Wages from 18.00 to 33.50 / hour depending on testing, past experience, quality and production.

Rochester, NY Fab shop for initial assignment with position possibilities along East Coast.

PM me for further details.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Plumbers and Pipefitter Lu. 112 here. 5th year apprentice currently working on my weld certifications. I'm currently employed but just had to throw this in here. :D Good luck with the search!

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Seeing those wages really make me wonder why I bothered going to college.
Skilled trade apprenticeships are like going to college except they pay you a pitiful salary while you complete it.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Seeing those wages really make me wonder why I bothered going to college.
Looking at the scars on my body and losing much of my night vision, I wonder why I went to Modern welding school. I did my 5 years of apprenticeship after in the plumbers & steamfitters and welded miles & miles of x-ray joints for decent money. Now I'm self-employed which lately has sucked worse than having a molten piece of slag resting on your flesh as you ignore it to finish the rod your currently burning; damn if this was closer I'd go for it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pitiful? didn't think it was. in the mid Atlantic area we start our Apprentices out at 16.75 an hour and they get a raise every 1000 hours. 33.50 at journeyman at teh end of 4 years. We pay for schooling and the books. if they have no safety, quality or production issues after a year as a journeyman they can be at 37.50. I have 24 year olds that started out after High School making that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plumbers and Pipefitter Lu. 112 here. 5th year apprentice currently working on my weld certifications. I'm currently employed but just had to throw this in here. :D Good luck with the search!
Did something happen? All the programs I have seen have been 4 year except for Electricians.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nope, it's a five year program and has been for years. School 2 nights a week for 3 hours a night. The pay is all based on the prevailing wage of whatever local you are working in. For a 1st year apprentice it's 40% of a journeymans wage, 2nd yr is 50% and so on. I got in when I was 20 and as a first year I made about $12 an hour.

Bill, you forgot to mention the joys af a spark in the ear, not only can you smell the flesh burn but you can also hear the wax sizzle.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Bill, you forgot to mention the joys af a spark in the ear, not only can you smell the flesh burn but you can also hear the wax sizzle.
Yup your right, having singed my eardrum and having my eye scraped a couple of times I learned to cover up as best as I can but it's never enough.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are actually open shop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts