New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about joining the rest of the world and getting a smart phone. I have spoked to Verizon 3x and have gotten 3 different prices. It seems that they want to unscrupulously sell you something extra.

Anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth it for the texting and internet service? I am just not sure if 2 GB is enough.

Thanks,

Steve-o Over and Out

·
Registered
810 Posts
Go to Best Buy, you will get a better deal on any cell phone and cell plan...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up, but personally, I have had a really, really bad experience in there. REALLY BAD!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Wait for a special and pick one up. Sometimes they run specials for 4gb of data for the price of 2gb. I have unlimited since I got my data plan before they stopped running unlimited plans.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sean.....you are right, but you need a 4G phone for the 4 for 2 GB. The iPhone only comes in 3G. Looks like I am waiting.

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I am thinking about joining the rest of the world and getting a smart phone. I have spoked to Verizon 3x and have gotten 3 different prices. It seems that they want to unscrupulously sell you something extra.

Anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth it for the texting and internet service? I am just not sure if 2 GB is enough.

Thanks,

Steve-o Over and Out
I dealt with their wireless service once, that was to get internet on top of some god-forsaken hill where I got my first apartment, I chose the 3 GBs of data plan with a little device for using my computer with the cell phone service to connect to the internet. The service was hit and miss despite their guarantee that I was in one of the best service zones and I could look out my window and see a big ass blinking cell tower on the hill next to me.

To make matters worse when I signed up I specifically told them I needed kind of a temporary internet service and I couldn't do a contract, which the sales representative said was fine, we signed no paper work besides the signature to my credit card for the activation charge, when I moved back down into town only a few months later and returned to the store to cancel my service because I got Road Runner, I was told there would be a 175 dollar cancellation fee - to save you reading a book I fought with Verizon for close to a year and finally got them to drop all the ridiculous charges (including the compounding monthly fee for a service I wasn't even using because I left the device at the store and told them to shove off) and settled for something like 60 bucks plus taxes to leave me alone, I thanked them and told them I would never ever be doing business with them again after this ordeal, which 1 year later none of them had an explanation for.

So my experience with them was way less then desirable, however if you use them as your main cell provider and don't plan on dropping off the data plan a few months later I don't forsee a problem for you, my case may have been just a serious company-wide failure to communicate, but that was my experience with Verizon with data plans.

As for 2gbs, you can change the data rate at will without incurring fees as long as you don't cancel as far as I know, I was able to get by on 3gbs a month using a desktop computer AND laptop, mostly Email and forums like this (youtube didnt stream) so 2gbs on a cell should be ok, plus all the smart phones have a cap you can set so they actually cut off your data stream when you hit your limit, and they can all connect to wireless networks to save on your data budget (so when you get to work, use their wifi all day long and it doesnt use ANY of your data limit) if thats an option, at home if you have wifi you can surf the web all day on your pocket tab and never use data.

Edit: When you said "had experience with them" I wasn't sure if you were talking smartphones or Verizon with a data plan, I do not actually own a smartphone so feel free to ignore that whole thing up there ^ as I may have answered the question completely wrong.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I had sprint for a few years now with the iPhone and no complaints at all. My job would be beyond boring if I didn't have it. Plus I'm on my forums 24/7 with it, so it helps me grabs sweet deals as soon as they pop up. I get unlimited everything on the three iPhones for my family for $165 a month. Free data is a must for me since I use mine more than my laptops & pc. When I was in Florida during the hurricanes, my phone was the only working.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Do not buy from best buy or any other 3rd party "retail dealer". Always buy your phone and plan from one of the few MAIN RETAIL OFFICES. If you buy from a "dealer" and end up having an issue with your phone they cannot fix it. Then when you bring it to a main corporate office they wont fix it either because you didn't buy the plan from them.

Save yourself the headaches and buy from a corporate store not a authorized retail location.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Before you buy one think about why you want one. You might end up getting a deal on the phone but the monthly charges (hundreds of dollars maybe) could eat you alive as will the contract cancellation provision.

Worse, NY is a hands-free state. That means additional equipment purchase for using the cel phone when you are driving.

What is it do you intend to accomplish with the cel phone?

Think about that before you commit to a cash hungry item.

I carry a cheap cel phone for emergencies. Cost me $17 to get it and $20 every few months to add 60 minutes at a time. It's shut off until I need to use it and the few people who know the number know that and they don't call unless it's pre-arranged.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for all the input and helpful information.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As for my experience with them, in my area, Verizon is the only carrier that has a relatively consistently strong signal. I shopped around some, and for the phone I wanted, it would have been $100 each on the website, or $150 each at the Verizon store. Best Buy had a special where I could get the phone for free, with just the standard 2 year contract. Long story short, my wife and I each got one on the same account and walked out of the store with no initial cost. I don't ever have to deal with Best Buy again for the phones (I dont like BB in general, but make exceptions when I need to). I walked into the local Verizon store the next week and added the insurance plan with no issues (I think you have like 30 days to add it). Any time I've needed service, I've brought it to the Verizon store directly, and had no issues.

You can ask the Verizon store before you buy to be sure, but I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My wife has the iPhone--I got the Droid when I transitioned over to smart phones just a few months ago. I just couldn't get used to the touch-screen keyboard, so when I found the Droid 4 with it's full keyboard and big touch screen, I was sold. It's an awesome phone, and it utilizes gorilla glass, so it's plenty durable.

In regards to your 2gb/month question, 70% of the time you're cruising the web or what not, you're on wi-fi via your own connection at home, work or someone elses (stores, food joints, etc.) I haven't even hit .5/gb per month since I got it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does the iPhone switch from their data to WiFi automatically?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Do not buy from best buy or any other 3rd party "retail dealer". Always buy your phone and plan from one of the few MAIN RETAIL OFFICES. If you buy from a "dealer" and end up having an issue with your phone they cannot fix it. Then when you bring it to a main corporate office they wont fix it either because you didn't buy the plan from them.

Save yourself the headaches and buy from a corporate store not a authorized retail location.
I have bought from Best Buy a few times and not once have I had any issues with them. If the phone I purchased from them had a problem they stood behind it, and if they couldn't fix it they replaced it. So a happy Best Buy shopper here.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I have bought from Best Buy a few times and not once have I had any issues with them. If the phone I purchased from them had a problem they stood behind it, and if they couldn't fix it they replaced it. So a happy Best Buy shopper here.
Then you would be the exception rather than the rule.

It's a known thing among informed consumers that you don't, under any circumstances, shop at Worst Buy. There's a reason they make the "Worst Company in America" list every single year.

The Consumerist: Search Results

·
Registered
810 Posts
Then you would be the exception rather than the rule.

It's a known thing among informed consumers that you don't, under any circumstances, shop at Worst Buy. There's a reason they make the "Worst Company in America" list every single year.

The Consumerist: Search Results[/QUOTE/ I am just stating my experience with them, I am sure like a lot of other stores out there they do have a fair share of complaints. Just because John Smith had a problem with them is not a reason for me to not shop there. If the time comes and they don't stand behind what I purchase there then I will have a change of mind, til then I will keep shopping there.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Verizon is/was hands down, the best provider. However, as days go by and AT&T and Sprint start buying up the smaller guys, they are getting better. I personally believe they are still the best, but then again, sometimes where you live is the pivot point.

I don't know how to comment on the plan you'd be choosing because I am one of the grandfathered-never-have-a-limit people, but as stated above, it seems like you aren't in too big a rush, so you should way for a deal to come around.

I would ask around where you live and work and spend most of your time who other people go thru and what they think. I just saw a commercial the other day where sprint was offering truly unlimited data & every other bell and whistle for I think $79.99 (could have been $69.99)

As far as it's value, to me, it's imperative that I have a functioning smart phone. I've grown up in and adapted to the technological changes as well as how they integrate with social media, and I like know that, for 99.9% of the time, i'll always be able to make a call, send an e-mail, or surf the internet (as you'd get it on a computer, because some phones and browsers don't work with some features) any time I want for any reason.

THE BIGGEST DOWNSIDE to your iphone is no flash -- and there's a lot on the net that is written in flash, so that may be an issue for you pending what you use the internet for

I would also ask to be given an approximation as to how much 2gb is... If you aren't steaming videos and music 24/7, you may not even come close to that cap. It seems to me that you already have an OG iphone so you are just looking for a plan -- ask if you can have a "plan" for a month to test it out and see how much data you use. Perhaps push them on the idea that this is your first one, and you want to know what you are getting in to, maybe they'll bite.

Then from there, use it like you'd use it always and at the end of the month, figure out where you are at, and then decide where to go from there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts