New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and if I've re-posted something that's already been answered, sorry in advance. Alright, anyways, I live in Onondaga County, I've been to my safety class, been fingerprinted, and am just waiting for my appointment what's on Nov. 8th. Now I am going for my CCW permit, and am just wondering what I should put in the application in my favor to please the judge to be granted it, sense I consistently hear NYS is a ball buster for giving out CCW permits. Please let me know, thanks.

~Paul

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
My county only really gives out unrestricted but I put on mine, target shooting, self defense, protection while hiking, possible hunting, and all other lawful purposes.

Welcome to the forum

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and if I've re-posted something that's already been answered, sorry in advance. Alright, anyways, I live in Onondaga County, I've been to my safety class, been fingerprinted, and am just waiting for my appointment what's on Nov. 8th. Now I am going for my CCW permit, and am just wondering what I should put in the application in my favor to please the judge to be granted it, sense I consistently hear NYS is a ball buster for giving out CCW permits. Please let me know, thanks.

~Paul
I'm not from Onondaga, but all of NYS aren't ball busters for CCW permits. It really depends on the county. It is pretty easy over here in Monroe County. Good luck on everything.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I would personally suggest that you apply for a sportsmans permit. Unless you are LEO/CO or someone with political ties you will probably get denied a concealed permit. The route, depending on which judge you get, is to have the sportsmans permit for at least one year to show responsible ownership. Then, during this time, take as many firearms training classes as you can. CCW courses, NRA basic pistol, MDTS or RPD combative/defensive pistol classes, etc. After this, take all your certifications and your "just cause" to need a CCW besides self defense, and apply for your CCW. Even with Walsh off the bench the judge filling in from Oswego Co is denying CCWs. Sadly your best bet is to play it safe so that you can get your permit instead of being denied from the get go and possibly having to re-apply.

ETA: Notice the part I underlined. In your packet for your application it will tell you that self defense is not an acceptable reason in Onondaga Co to request a CCW and your request will be denied if that answer is used. I would not suggest that you try using the "carry lots of money for business reasons" either. The money thing has been over-used and is getting denied as well.

Also, call down every couple of weeks (don't be a pest) and inquire if there are any sooner appointment openings or cancellations so that you might get a earlier date.

Besides the above, I suggest that you pray that the stars properly align and you get Aloi for your judge. Then you may have a chance. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I would personally suggest that you apply for a sportsmans permit. Unless you are LEO/CO or someone with political ties you will probably get denied a concealed permit.
Will they outright deny you or will they just issue you a sportsman permit in lieu of the unrestricted?

·
6,795 Posts
I dont know why they would outright deny someone because there is no such thing as a sportsman permit.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I dont know why they would outright deny someone because there is no such thing as a sportsman permit.
Sportsman is what Onondaga county calls their restricted hunting/target/whatever permits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Ya, I've called now and again to get a sooner appointment. My time was originally March of next year!! So, I'm doing quite well I think, lol. As per what Spydermonkey said with political ties, I met someone through my job who said he's ex-military, and knows some judges personally, and that he'd hand deliver my application personally for me. So, I hope it comes through. I also asked about that, if I should get my Sportsman's permit first, then come back to get the CCW, he said there is no coming back, and I need to get it now if I want it.http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/members/spydermonkey.html

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
he said there is no coming back, and I need to get it now if I want it.
That is not true. There are several members here who have upgraded their restricted permits to unrestricted after some time and classes then applying for the amendment.

·
6,795 Posts
Sportsman is what Onondaga county calls their restricted hunting/target/whatever permits.
Exactly. A sportsman permit is a CCW permit with administrative restrictions. So I cant see why someone would be denied outright because both are the same permit. Do you see what I am saying?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That very well maybe, but it's bull, and my right to be able to carry if I want to. So, that's the #1 reason why I'm going for it. Also, I personally feel, the way our government and economy is going, I personally think sometime down the road, it's going to become nearly impossible to get your permit, let alone a CCW or Sportsman.

·
6,795 Posts
For you i would go for the sportsmen if thats what they offer. After you get that then you can go from there but its better to get something then nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to respond saying went for my appointment this morning, and indeed filled out the application for a CCW permit. The reason I put to issue me a CCW is word for word...

"As an active outdoors man, I am spending most of my free time either camping, hiking, hunting or doing anything in the outdoors. This statement constitutes a special need for protection of unpredictable wild animals around the surroundings and that I'm mostly by myself in the said situations."
So, I'm hoping that was good enough, and I get an understanding judge. I'll keep everyone up to date on when and what I'm issued. Now the waiting game begins.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
It's almost laughable how much variance exists in pistol permit dealings from one County to the next all within the same great State of NY. I'd recommend using the search for finding other posts regarding experiences or suggestions specifically for Onondaga County. In my opinion, keep reasons for the permit simple and concise, that leaves less room for holes that a judge might nitpick while reviewing your application. It's a similar principle to talking with police after an arrest -- everything you say can be used against you in Court, so the less you say, the better. Just for comparison, in Niagara County, the judge ONLY wants to see the simple, standard one or two-word reasons, and nothing beyond that - personal protection, hunting, and target practice. Anything more elaborate than that just opens the door for a potential denial, perhaps out of spite for trying too hard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps, I just wanted to sound professional as possible.

·
Registered
876 Posts
All NYS permits are CCW except a premiss permit. If you have a H&T/Sportsman permit, you can carry concealed to and from hunting or target practice. While hunting, you can open carry. Premiss permit you can not carry concealed or open.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If you have a H&T/Sportsman permit, you can carry concealed to and from hunting or target practice.
Some counties require you to transport the gun to/from the range or hunting in a locked box. Pretty sure Onondaga is that way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya, I think in Onondaga County here, you have to transport your gun to and from a range, camp ground, hunting trip, etc. in a locked box. The only way you can carry a gun on you, concealed and loaded is with a CCW permit, but with a Sportsman, when you are on a range, camp ground or hunting, you can have it loaded on you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, the day has finally come! Going to pick up my permit tomorrow. It was issued as a Sportsman, but I'm already in the works to get my CCW. I'll update everyone when that happens.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Well good news, you already have a CCW! You have administrative restrictions on it, but it is still a CCW!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts