New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I got in trouble as a child and it was sealed and I was given youthful offender status and I have been clean since then other than traffic tickets. I recently got a violation over something stupid. So my question is do you think any of that will effect my chances on getting a permit? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm guessing it all depends on what your sealed record is because of. Killing thirty people I'd assume no permit for you. Broke in to school to knock over the pop machine you should be ok I'd figure. :)

I know that if you loose your permit after you get it they'll take all your guns away, if you get dined because of a record could your guns get taken away? I'd figure if you passed a background check to buy a gun you should be ok.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Like above bit all depends on what happened and how long ago. What do you mean by a recent violation?? Traffic?? Also depends on how many traffic violations you have had. If it's excessive it will effect you. Goes to maturity and following laws. We need some more details of your willing to give them. Also make sure you state what happened sealed means sealed except in this case.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You could also call the pistol permit clerk/sheriffs office and ask. They will be the ones deciding, right? Or maybe talk to the judge who also is involved?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Like above, it all depends.

Violent misdemeanors, any felony, any drug charge, or domestic abuse are automatic denials.

Everything else is up to the judges discretion.

What was the recent "stupid" violation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was charged but never convicted. It's was a felony charge but I wasn't convicted and it was youthful offender status. The recent violation was dumb it shouldn't hold any weight but it was basically a disagreement with a neighbor and he said I did hit him which I didn't and I fought it for a year and just got tired so I settled for the violation. Sealed should be sealed since I have a hard time getting a deposition for it.if this is an exception then what's the point of it being sealed? Lol I recently bought a 12 gauge no problems and no waiting period.

·
Registered
577 Posts
State says it can look at sealed recorded to asses your permit. If you weren't convicted then it won't matter, you just need to put it down. The one with the neighbor, if you were judged guilty then it won't help. Depending on what it was specifically might not matter. Heck, maybe get your neighbor as a reference if you patched things up & point that out to the clerk.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I was charged but never convicted. It's was a felony charge but I wasn't convicted and it was youthful offender status. The recent violation was dumb it shouldn't hold any weight but it was basically a disagreement with a neighbor and he said I did hit him which I didn't and I fought it for a year and just got tired so I settled for the violation. Sealed should be sealed since I have a hard time getting a deposition for it.if this is an exception then what's the point of it being sealed? Lol I recently bought a 12 gauge no problems and no waiting period.
Sealed from the public. Not from law enforcement. Disclose it. Chances are you may be denied a permit, given your recent altercation with the neighbor.
Sucks, but that is the way it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sealed from the public. Not from law enforcement. Disclose it. Chances are you may be denied a permit, given your recent altercation with the neighbor.
Sucks, but that is the way it is.
its a non violent charge or whatever i agreed to, my thought was is if nays corrections doesn't have an issue with it, it shouldn't effect me. the reason i finally plead guilty was so my chances of getting in with them wasn't compromised. i was hired with the state 3 years ago and they do a background check and never questioned me about the thing as a child. but if i was denied i would have to get a lawyer and go through the appeal process correct? even if i don't get a ccw permit i would settle with hunting and target and then try to upgrade later.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I'm not sure but in Erie county it says arrested need to be disclosed and all dispositions provided. So if yours is the same both arrests would need to be disclosed. If you don't it will be a definite denial. Also if your in state corrections why do you need a permit. I would say your chances are 50% at best. Remember a judge does not need anything to say no other than his thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
im not in state corrections yet, but it wasn't automatic denial from the department of corrections. it was disorderly conduct. i just got the paper from the court. i couldn't remember what it was exactly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts