New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling (kinda) with this for sometime now. I usually carry in my CCO Vest or when at a dress(y)/formal function in a crossbreed IWB

My wife drags me to her "functions and events", some of these are formal, most are informal. But she introduces me to colleagues, friends and business acquaintances (some are Senators and high ranking politicians) and for whatever reason these people (mostly women, but some men) like to hug me or put there arm around me when we meet, which perfectly ok when Im NOT carrying (very rare)

When meeting people for the first time I generally just stick my hand out for a nice healthy handshake, but some people just HAVE to give me a hug.

Which, as you can imagine, can get awkward to say the least.

so how do I *defend* myself from unwanted or intrusive Huggers. So far all I do is try and keep my elbows in tight and low, that seems to help and it's awkward, but It's better than being discovered.

In other instances I have had people come up from behind me and put their arm around my waste when IWC and accidentally touch my gun, they usually jump back and say "whoa, what the...." I quickly say, thats my insulin pump and that seems to defuse the situation very quickly.

How do you guys keep people at arms length when CC'ing without being rude.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
not really much you can do, stick with the insulin pump thing, thats what i use

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's kinda funny how hard it is to remain stealthy when CC'ing. :)

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one getting hugged and touched by people!

My fiance's sister accidentally bumped into my side at a formal event and responded with, "What was that?!?" I told her it was my flask and she seemed to believe me.

I had to leave a bar once because it got packed and everyone was bumping into me. It was only a matter of time before one of them bumped into the wrong spot and made a stink about it.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason I thought of the insulin pump is because my son is a diabetic. so it seemed like a reasonable explanation that everyone accepts without question.

although I like the flask idea. I do carry a flask at some of these events, mainly 'cause Im cheap LOL

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Appendix carry. Solves ALL PROBLEMS. Including this one. Just bend slightly at the hip when you give someone a hug, and there's no way they can detect a gun up front.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Appendix carry. Solves ALL PROBLEMS. Including this one. Just bend slightly at the hip when you give someone a hug, and there's no way they can detect a gun up front.
Until the Senators wife goes for the reach around, but in that case you have bigger problems. ;)

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
isn't that uncomfortable when you have to sit for any length of time?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Body odor can be both a problem and a solution... :D

I find that sticking a hand out solves the introductory hug problem. Not much you can do about people coming up behind you and putting an arm around you (well, aside from the body odor suggestion).

As for people asking "what was that?": "A reminder to keep your hands to yourself."

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
You're hugging senators? That means you can talk to them too, right? [tapping foot] Get some sh!t changed bro!!!

When they go for a hug, pucker up and see if they back off.

Huggers on my end are mostly family. I hug low. or strong side low and weak side high. My niece surprise hugged me a couple weeks ago and I know she touched/felt my gun. She didn't ask. I'll have to work on a response.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
great question! i get hugged all the fricken time, and I'm tall so people's arms often go right around my waist.
i like the flask idea, though it does have the problem of people wanting a pull..
i need to look into apendix carry more. i've thought about it, but i think my dunlop is going to be a problem with this method!

my wife hugs me all the time though without even noticing the gun. some times she does though, and just gives me a wink ;)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
isn't that uncomfortable when you have to sit for any length of time?
No. I dismissed appendix carry when I first started experimenting for the same reason. It's all about finding the right position. The only thing remotely uncomfortable now is when I am compressing that area when getting into a car. As soon as I'm seated its comfortable, and getting out is fine. It conceals better, gives me more peace of mind because I can see if something is going on printing wise, is a faster draw, lets me draw from on my back or a seated position, and of course, bypasses the hugging issue.

I strongly recommend revisiting it if you've tried before and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure there are body types it doesn't work for, but I carried at 3:30 for about 6 months and I'll never go back. It's OWB or AIWB for me.

That said, back when I did carry "the wrong way" ;) I would try to hug low, or drop my right arm. Never had anyone detect it, but I did have a few close calls when I knew a "dangerous hug" was coming up, and I would disarm before those. Not the best solution, but necessary at the time. Now I don't need to worry about it.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. I dismissed appendix carry when I first started experimenting for the same reason. It's all about finding the right position. The only thing remotely uncomfortable now is when I am compressing that area when getting into a car. As soon as I'm seated its comfortable, and getting out is fine. It conceals better, gives me more peace of mind because I can see if something is going on printing wise, is a faster draw, lets me draw from on my back or a seated position, and of course, bypasses the hugging issue.

I strongly recommend revisiting it if you've tried before and couldn't get it to work. I'm sure there are body types it doesn't work for, but I carried at 3:30 for about 6 months and I'll never go back. It's OWB or AIWB for me.

That said, back when I did carry "the wrong way" ;) I would try to hug low, or drop my right arm. Never had anyone detect it, but I did have a few close calls when I knew a "dangerous hug" was coming up, and I would disarm before those. Not the best solution, but necessary at the time. Now I don't need to worry about it.
what holster do you use for appendix carry?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well that's another story. I would like to get a Kydex appendix-type made, and I also have a couple Raven ACRs on order, but for now I'm using a Remora holster with my Walther PPS. When I had my SR9c (its at the factory at the moment), I have a Ritchie Leather holster with a clip that I was using. I also have a DeSantis Sof-tuk that is an all-around ok choice if I can't find anything else.

Ultimately the plan is either a ROCity Kydex, Raven ACR, or if kydex doesn't work out there, a High Noon Public Secret.

But basically any holster you like that has no cant and a small footprint will work fine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts