New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So quick story, i put a new scope on my New Haven 240c .22 and went out quick this afternoon to sight it in. I had half a box of Winchester Super X and a whole box of CCI Mini-Mag. I've had the Winchester ammo for quite some time and the CCI box was new. I decided to sight it in with the CCI because i had more and wanted to have enough to squirrel hunt with it this year. I loaded up the magazine and when i closed the bolt the first round had a rough time feeding but went in. Shot that round and ejected it and the next one wouldnt feed, and the next, and the next. Decided to switch to the Winchesters to see if they would feed like they always have and they did just fine. My only conclusion is that the MiniMags must be just a little bit bigger than the Winchesters hence getting caught trying to feed into the chamber. Anybody else experience this? Sucks cause I've got a whole box of these things and people seem to like them a lot.

Here is the two types of ammo I was using
WP_20141003_002.jpg

Here is the rifle
WP_20141003_003.jpg

and here is the Magazine with the Winchesters on the bottom and CCI's on the top
WP_20141003_004.jpg

·
Registered
967 Posts
I so wanted to say HP vs RN issue maybe but seeing both rounds are HP, i am lost. It is possible CCI quality went down due to huge demand.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rounds look high quality and i don't think that is the issue. (and yes both hollow point). Looking very closely it seems like the CCI's might have a slightly larger Rim which could be interfering. My Rifle is quite old as well and I am sure things have changed quite a bit since it came out. haha

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Had that issue but reverse with my 22 pistol. Win HV wouldn't feed. CCIs worked fine. I think some 22s are more finicky than others.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Is the chamber nice and clean?

Can you use some calipers to measure the ammo?

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
When was the last time you gave the chamber a good cleaning?
BINGO. My first thought too. Clean chamber shoot CCW first. When I switch from .38 to .357 at the range without cleaning I notice the sticky chamber. Look at the brass length difference between a CCW and a .22lr.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I think it's just the ammo,one of my shooting friends bought a new Marlin semi-auto 22lr last spring. When we were out shooting he burned upm the few 50 round boxes of the Remington Thunderbolts that he took. I gave him a box of FederalPremium 22lr bullets, they wouldn't feed through his gun if his life depended on it. I gave him some Remington Golden Bullets and it ran them through with out a hitch.

I have well over thirty 22 caliber rifles and every once in awhile one of them won't feed a batch of a certain brand of ammo. A few months down the road when I buy that type of ammo made from a different batch they will work.
Same as accuracy, different batches will perform a little different . Even then most people can't shoot as well as the gun and ammo can. The older you get the more your accuracy suffers, I need something to lean against when shooting small game with a 22 caliber rifle or handgun. Scopes make it so much more accurate for me, I like to put a nicequality rifle scopes on my 22s. I generally buy used Redfields if I can find then at a decent price.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've never had a problem with CCI in any 22s. However I've heard that there is sometimes a problem with the amount of lube they coat the bullets with.That might be a cause of feeding problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts