New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,536 Posts
People are frequently cleared to fly once it's determined that they aren't a threat. You just don't hear about it all that often.

· Banned
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People are frequently cleared to fly once it's determined that they aren't a threat. You just don't hear about it all that often.
Really Bob? I'm surprised to hear that, every story I read had the person being arrested. I'm glad the guy didn't get arrested, but I personally wouldn't want to try my luck with that, lol.

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
Really Bob? I'm surprised to hear that, every story I read had the person being arrested. I'm glad the guy didn't get arrested, but I personally wouldn't want to try my luck with that, lol.
The difference between this and the other stories is that the other people didn't have a permit. I am assuming this person did because he wasn't arrested. That being the case his pistol should not of been confiscated unless his bags were already checked (I assume that was the case) and he would pick the pistol up when he gets back. If they are keeping it for any other reason and allowed him to go then they are wrong IMO.

· Registered
2,536 Posts
Oh, I wouldn't want to try my luck either. It's all up to the discretion of TSA and the airport LEOs.

Every story you read ends up with the person being arrested because the mainstream media in this country is generally biased against firearms owners.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Well, I've read that the TSA finds something like 5 handguns a day either being CCW'ed or left in a bag or something. My guess is nearly all of those are innocent mistakes - otherwise we'd be hearing about 5 arrests on the news every day. Sounds more like an "oops - forgot to leave it at home" and the passenger is sent home to secure the weapon and try to get on stand-by for a later flight.

TSA: Screeners find 4-5 guns on a typical day - CNN

· Registered
7,787 Posts
you guy do know that you CAN fly with your hand gun. You just have to notify the airline ahead of time and have the proper paper work.

Maybe the TSA got to him before he could check in?

Or maybe Mayor Bloomberg is his cousin ? LOL

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
you guy do know that you CAN fly with your hand gun. You just have to notify the airline ahead of time and have the proper paper work.

Maybe the TSA got to him before he could check in?

Or maybe Mayor Bloomberg is his cousin ? LOL
It was in his carry-on.

Exactly what law are you breaking? Or is it just a rule of the airline and not really a law?

· Registered
7,787 Posts
It was in his carry-on.

Exactly what law are you breaking? Or is it just a rule of the airline and not really a law?
I didn't say he was breaking any law. Go to any Airlines website and look up their firearm policy. Some airlines refuse to let any firearms on there flights, others have strict rules.

Im not exactly sure how this works but I know a professional Photographer that puts a empty flare gun in his Travel box with his camera and lens (I would guess his lens are worth around $30K to $40K he has like 7 or 8 lens and his I know one of his cameras is worth about $15K) When he gets to the airport he has the paper work and goes straight to the security people. He said he must be present when security checks the box (bag) and then they (security) SEALS the box. In some instances he must stay with the sealed box until bag handlers put it on the plane. After doing this he has ever had anything stolen from his bags :D

The other option is know someone with a couple of planes and go private LOL

· Registered
2,536 Posts
You can fly with firearms in your checked baggage. I've done it a number of times. Firearms in your carry-on is strictly prohibited under most circumstances.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
You can fly with firearms in your checked baggage. I've done it a number of times. Firearms in your carry-on is strictly prohibited under most circumstances.
Yet, somehow, 19 guys managed to get on to 4 planes with boxcutters and killed nearly 3,000 people... but guns, those horrible terrible guns if allowed on planes will make every one of them fall out of the sky. Meh.

Interesting article here:
gmancasefile: TSA: Fail

I was an FBI Special Agent... (insert long list of impressive anti-terrorism task force credentials here) ...for 25 years I traveled armed on airliners... ...I have come to the conclusion that TSA is one of the worst-run, ineffective and most unnecessarily intrusive agencies in the United States government...

Frankly, the professional experience I have had with TSA has frightened me. Once, when approaching screening for a flight on official FBI business, I showed my badge as I had done for decades in order to bypass screening. (You can be envious, but remember, I was one less person in line.) I was asked for my form which showed that I was armed. I was unarmed on this flight because my ultimate destination was a foreign country. I was told, "Then you have to be screened." This logic startled me, so I asked, "If I tell you I have a high-powered weapon, you will let me bypass screening, but if I tell you I'm unarmed, then I have to be screened?" The answer? "Yes. Exactly." Another time, I was bypassing screening (again on official FBI business) with my .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol, and a TSA officer noticed the clip of my pocket knife. "You can't bring a knife on board," he said. I looked at him incredulously and asked, "The semi-automatic pistol is okay, but you don't trust me with a knife?" His response was equal parts predictable and frightening, "But knives are not allowed on the planes."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.