New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good ways to LEGALLY get rid of cats?

There are lots of feral and domestic cats that roam around on my property, killing tons of wildlife. It seems that each week I find another dead bird, rabbit, or young turkey.

They are becoming quite a pain.

I'm just wondering if there are any legal ways to take of this.

Are people allowed to just let their cats roam around and create this kind of destruction? Their cat isn't even staying within their bounds of their property, they are on my land.

In my honest opinion, if you are going to own a cat, keep it within your house and on your own property. When you let it just roam around, they become someone a burden to someone else. They should be treated the same as other pets, watched over and not allowed to roam freely, especially on someone's property.

I also read a recent article in the paper showing how cats have destroyed many populations of wildlife, specifically birds. Even causing some to become endangered species or enter the threatened category.

This article claims that they have caused 33 species of birds to go extinct!

http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandreports/NFWF.pdf

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
Have-a-heart trap from harbor freight and take them to your local spca or shelter. If they destroy them then you're off the hook and you're getting rid of the feral population

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have-a-heart trap from harbor freight and take them to your local spca or shelter. If they destroy them then you're off the hook and you're getting rid of the feral population
I thought about this, but I'm going to bet 9/10 times I'm going to catch something else, like a raccoon, opossum, or a skunk. Things I'd rather not like to handle.

Keep in mind, this is out in the "country", so there are tons of other animals around as well and in more abundance.

· Registered
543 Posts
When I was younger I worked for a farm supply company that had alot of feral cats living in hay/straw barn.

I used to catch them in those big have-a-heart traps or whatever you call them and bring them to the spca. Would take kittens and put them in store for people to adopt if they were old enough or would keep mother and kittens in cage until they were. Would try also to get the cats used to people and not act wild so they wouldnt just be destroyed. Some got friendly some some remained wild.

Need to take action sooner rather than later as all they will do is reproduce.
If you put traps up on something only a cat could jump on with some cat food you will avoid getting skumks. Anything else you accidently catch isnt an issue to let go, just wear thick leather gloves and open the door

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Why would you have a problem with them killing a turkey? You wouldn't need a tag for it. Just like the one I hit with my truck the other night. I called the DEC told them I hit a turkey and asked if it was ok to take it home since it only appeared to have it's neck broken and no other damage and they said sure since it's less work for the state to pick up. Now there's some turkey meat in my freezer and the coyotes took the rest.

· Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds like you need to call your local animal control officer a few times and ask them to take care of the problem.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm going through the same thing here there are a ton of feral cats in my (very) rural area. So are you also getting mysterious boxes with cats and kittens in them sitting on the side of your road too? I think coyotes are getting some of them.

· Registered
387 Posts
Check this NYS law(!) out:

11-0529. Cats hunting birds; dogs pursuing deer or killing other wildlife in certain areas
  1. Any person over the age of twenty-one years possessing a hunting license may, and environmental conservation officers and peace officers, acting pursuant to their special duties, or police officers shall humanely destroy cats at large found hunting or killing any protected wild bird or with a dead bird of any protected species in its possession.
  2. Every environmental conservation officer, forest ranger and member of the state police, and any person, may kill any dog (a) pursuing or killing deer within the Adirondack or Catskill parks, at any time; (b) pursuing or killing any game or wildlife on a state-owned game farm or wildlife refuge; or (c) pursuing or killing any game or wildlife on a state-owned or leased wildlife management area, except a dog being legally used for hunting small game or for dog training; provided that the time, place and circumstances of the killing of such a dog by a person other than an environmental conservation officer, forest ranger or member of the state police shall, within twenty-four hours, be reported to the nearest environmental conservation officer and where such dog has identification tags or a tattoo, that person shall immediately notify the local dog control officer, who shall notify the dog's owner of the time, place and circumstances of the dog's death. In the event that there is no local dog control officer in the jurisdiction of the nearest environmental conservation officer reported to, then the department shall notify the dog's owner of the time, place and circumstances of the dog's death.
  3. Every park patrolman, park ranger and member of the state police, county police and town police may kill any dog pursuing or killing deer within any state park or state park reservation at any time.
  4. At any time (a) any environmental conservation officer, dog warden, forest ranger or member of the state police anywhere in the state; (b) any member of any town police within the limits of the town of which such member is an officer; (c) any member of the Westchester County Parkway police on any park, parkway or reservation owned or controlled by the county of Westchester; or (d) any member of a police force or department of any county, city, town or village in which such member has jurisdiction and is regularly employed may kill any dog pursuing or killing deer and any coyote killing a domestic animal.
  5. No action for damages shall lie against any person for the killing of a cat, dog or coyote as provided in this section.

· I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,648 Posts
so the good ol' fashioned way isn't so legal with cats anymore?
back when i was a youngin', my grandparents always had this problem with their hay barns. and they were mean suckers.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Check this NYS law(!) out:

11-0529. Cats hunting birds; dogs pursuing deer or killing other wildlife in certain areas
What is meant by "certain areas"? State DEC land only? That one is a bit confusing, so I would caution anyone before snuffing out a cat in their backyard. I've never particularly liked cats and know that there are cat population problems in some areas, but the EnCon law above may only apply to State land.

· Registered
982 Posts
Many shelters are not accepting cats because they are 'full'. Some, if not all, charge you $x for bringing them in.

What is meant by "certain areas"? State DEC land only? That one is a bit confusing, so I would caution anyone before snuffing out a cat in their backyard. I've never particularly liked cats and know that there are cat population problems in some areas, but the EnCon law above may only apply to State land.
You don't say. a confusing NYS law? Whod'a thunk it?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
In my honest opinion, if you are going to own a cat, keep it within your house
As an owner of 2 cats, I totally agree. I hate people that let their cats roam around this little city. As far as I'm concerned if you hate your cat enough to just let it wondering around all day outside then why own one.

Although I get peeved at dog owners just the same. Don't let your dog bark for hours outside, don't leave them in a car on a hot day, and don't treat them like anything but a dog.

· Registered
982 Posts
There are lots of feral and domestic cats that roam around on my property, killing tons of wildlife. It seems that each week I find another dead bird, rabbit, or young turkey.
I find it hard to believe that a domestic cat could kill a turkey.

Keep in mind, this is out in the "country", so there are tons of other animals around as well and in more abundance.
Perhaps you have a fox problem and are blaming the cats.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.