New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many topics on this forum discussing and debating "restrictions". We all know they're administrative and not criminal, etc etc and that if caught carrying out of restriction one could be reported to licensing officer and permit potentially revoked or suspended, yadda yadda. Like I said, there's dozens of topic on this forum about that.

What I ask for this particular thread, is that we leave out the debate and legal semantics, and get straight to the point of what everyone with restrictions really wants to know, and that very simply is the stories (if any) of someone losing their permit, temporarally or permanantly, due strictly to carry out of restriction (and no other aggravating, compounding or agitating factors). Very simply and only the stories of someone caught carrying out of restriction, doing nothing to get himself in trouble in the process.

Once again please save all debates, discussions and opinions on restrictions for the dozens of other threads on this topic and please respond to this thread only to share known stories of someone's permit suspended or revoked for carry "outside of administrative restriction".

Cooperation is appreciated. Let's see what factual cases (if any) are out there.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
This thread comes up about once a month. As of yet, no, I have yet to see it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A guy at work (Erie County) has hunting/target restriction and was caught carrying near Albany (not hunting or hunting season), They took his pistol and he had to see the judge. He did get the pistol back and retained his permit, it took a few weeks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
"only the stories of someone caught carrying out of restriction, doing nothing to get himself in trouble in the process."

Not much chance of that happening. It's not like being asked "license,registration and gun permit please."

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
A guy at work (Erie County) has hunting/target restriction and was caught carrying near Albany (not hunting or hunting season), They took his pistol and he had to see the judge. He did get the pistol back and retained his permit, it took a few weeks.
And how did that happen?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
He got pulled over for speeding When they ran his license the officer asked if he had his weapon on him and he told him he did. How he managed to retain his permit and get his gun back I don't know. As many tickets as he's gotten and still has his license, he knows somebody somewhere.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I've had a CCW for 5 years now - gotten pulled over 4-5 times since then... never once was I asked if I was carrying.

Something about your friend must have gotten the police officer's attention.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
He got pulled over for speeding When they ran his license the officer asked if he had his weapon on him and he told him he did. How he managed to retain his permit and get his gun back I don't know. As many tickets as he's gotten and still has his license, he knows somebody somewhere.
Hmmmmm, had my permit since 1988, been pulled over numerous times, used to have some high HP cars, never, ever, not once was I asked if I had a weapon. Something he isn't telling you. To OP, good luck in your quest, I doubt you will find much.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
i believe that police can see if you've applied for your permit when they run your info, but not whether or not it was granted. i don't think it only has to do with how the person being questioned appears either. officers vary in their views and level of comfort with the concealed carry issue so that comes into play. a friend from westchester (the land of nearly no carry) came to visit me here in dutchess and left around eleven. he was pulled over by a sheriff who ran his plates, asked him if he was carrying (no, since he has restrictions), and sent on his merry way without any ticket. the cop was just looking to find something to bust his chops about since it was late and the road was quiet. luckily nothing came of it other than an agitated phone call from my buddy.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
yes, thought that was discussed here awhile back, they don't have a way to really know, do they??
I've been told by local LEOs I shoot with that, no, there is no data base they can access when they pull you over. The only way they can check if you have a permit is to call the pistol permit office and ask. Maybe my guys are wrong but I've always gotten good info from them. That doesn't stop them from simply asking if you have a gun.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sounds like a 4th amendment violation to me. I don't think violation of an administrative restriction is grounds for property seizure.

Not that NY would care about Constitutional rights, of course :(

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I'm convinced that some LEO know, or can find out. I got a 10 day inspection for my car because it wouldn't pass the emissions test. As I was driving to the shop on the 10 day inspection (perfectly legal and not speeding) I got pulled over because the Irondequoit police officer couldn't see my inspection. He came up to the car and asked for my license and registration. He asked me if I had any weapons in the car, which is somewhat weird, but I've had LEO do that before. Then he asked me specifically if I had any pistols in the car. I've never had any LEO ask me that before. I said no as I was going to work after getting out of the shop. He asked me again if I had any pistols.

I'm a middle class white guy that drives a 10 year old middle class car. It's not a rust bucket, but it's not a sports car either. Nothing about me or my car hints that I like firearms.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Depts in Onondaga use their own database system thats separate from the state and federal database. If you have an Onondaga based permit and you get stopped it will show that you have a permit. I do not know if there are any other counties out there that use a system like that.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I believe Herkimer county has this database as well so they immediately know when they pull someone over if they have a permit or not.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've had a CCW for 5 years now - gotten pulled over 4-5 times since then... never once was I asked if I was carrying.

Something about your friend must have gotten the police officer's attention.
The guy can be a tool that's why he's a guy at work and not a friend at work. He managed to get himself thrown out of the LGS last week and came into work moaning about it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
One of my friends was shooting at the range. When he arrived home, he opened his gate to unload the car, and his dog got out, and was hit by a car. He went directly to the vet. While there, his car was stolen from the vet's office with 2 guns in his range bag.

1 year suspension for failing to properly safeguard, and another for carrying out of class. The second year will end next April.

Suffolk County, Long Island.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
One of my friends was shooting at the range. When he arrived home, he opened his gate to unload the car, and his dog got out, and was hit by a car. He went directly to the vet. While there, his car was stolen from the vet's office with 2 guns in his range bag.

1 year suspension for failing to properly safeguard, and another for carrying out of class. The second year will end next April.

Suffolk County, Long Island.
That totally sucks

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
No link to any database in Putnam County, from the clerks office itself. As far as a permit being yanked, I know a guy who was caught carrying outside his restrictions in Westchester County. He was involved in a MVA. A couple months later he went before the Putnam County judge to have his restrictions removed, he lives in Putnam but never upgraded his H/T permit. The judge mentioned that he was cited for carrying outside his restrictions, BUT gave him a full carry license anyway. I love Putnam County.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts