New York Firearms Forum banner

Carrying licensed pistol in car

16K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  toivo 
#1 ·
I have a full carry unrestriced license to carry a pistol in NY state.
Does anyone know the law regarding carrying my pistol in my car mounted to the underside of the steering column loaded?

#9 ·
Dont get me started lol.

As far as some counties and pistol in vehicles it is my understanding (I am not sure) that it only applied to when you were not in the vehicle with it.
Some counties tell you that you can carry to and from the range (Oneida). Some say it has to be in a locked box (Onondaga). Both are assuming the typical sportsman or hunting/target restrictions. Some counties like Monroe don't care since you have no restrictions (typically).

#7 ·
Nothing beyond what is on these forums. Why should restrictions make a difference as to wether or not you can carry it loaded? They are administrative only. Considering he was questioning the law, why should restrictions matter?

#11 ·
First off, I was just ribbing you a bit, no offense intended, it was seriously meant in good fun. But now I'm confused by your response, because you were the one that said it depends on the county some don't want loaded guns in vehicle and I was the one saying if there are no restrictions it doesn't matter. This response seems to be a complete 180? Don't want to derail thread with this. And, FWIW, the OP has another thread with same topic that I responded directly to the law. Bottom line, I don't see any problem with it as long as OP remains in possession of gun.

#13 ·
Here is Oneida County's Judge Dwyer's take on this (an excerpt):

Please note that stamped on the face of your pistol license is the legend "HUNTING, TARGET, CAMPING & HIKING". These are restrictions placed on your license that indicate during what activities you may carry your handgun. You may possess a firearm on your person or securely in your vehicle when engaged in hunting, fishing and trapping....

According to the pistol office, "secured in your vehicle" means some sort of a mechanical lock, box, etc. that SECURES the gun to the vehicle. A holster doesn't count, and inside the console or glove box with the vehicle doors locked doesn't count. Even something as simple as a cable lock around the seat frame is ok, as long as the gun is secured.

Again, this is Oneida County's take on this.

#14 ·
Here is Oneida County's Judge Dwyer's take on this (an excerpt):

Please note that stamped on the face of your pistol license is the legend "HUNTING, TARGET, CAMPING & HIKING". These are restrictions placed on your license that indicate during what activities you may carry your handgun. You may possess a firearm on your person or securely in your vehicle when engaged in hunting, fishing and trapping....

According to the pistol office, "secured in your vehicle" means some sort of a mechanical lock, box, etc. that SECURES the gun to the vehicle. A holster doesn't count, and inside the console or glove box with the vehicle doors locked doesn't count. Even something as simple as a cable lock around the seat frame is ok, as long as the gun is secured.

Again, this is Oneida County's take on this.
Please note: the first option is "on your person"...why would you not have you pistol on your person in your vehicle? I can see "secured in the vehicle" rather than loose on a seat to fly around if you had an accident... I think it should be secured and out of sight if you are NOT in the vehicle and the pistol is (so it cannot be stolen), but whatever...My pistol is always on my person, and that would cover this judge's order.

#17 ·
I was asking because I was considering buying a mount that goes under the steering wheel to hold the pistol

This is the mount and the picture shows exactly what my question was, is it legal to carry a loaded pistol in NY in this manner if I have a full carry unrestriced? Gum Creek - Vehicle Holster Mount, Steering Wheel Handgun Mount, Anti-CarJacking, Anti Car Jacking

I am not promoting this item, I just am curious about NY law.

www.gumcreekcustoms.com

Should have sent the link initially.

Thanks for the responses

#18 ·
there are premises permits...then carry permits.

within carry permits, some get issued what people call "restricted" or hunting/target, and others "unrestricted" or full carry.

The only thing that is different btwn the unrestricted and restricted is an administrative action.

Its not illegal to carry a pistol with a restricted permit. If you carry the pistol into a bar and get $hitfaced then start a fight, sure they will hassle you over the fact your carrying outside your restrictions but....the idea is dont do anything stupid, dont piss off the cops, and they wont take time out of their own day to write a letter to the judge complaining your carrying against his administrative restriction.

If your caught carrying outside the administrative restrictions, the police cant disarm you, take your gun etc...the most they can do is write the letter. How many police you know like paperwork? You have to really do something retarded to warrant that.

Out of literally a dozen + NY LEOs that ive spoken to and posed the question about carrying with a hunting/target license...they didnt even know there was a difference or TYPES of licenses that are issued. NYS LE are primarily concerned with the fact you HAVE a license, period.

Just my 2 cents of opinion though. I know ill get flak surely.

#19 ·
I don't understand why you guys are clarifing what an unrestricted vs. restricted license is. He said he has an unrestricted license. The issue I think he is wanting to find out is, "is it considered concealed in a holster under the steering wheel?"

I would think that if you stored it there while driving and then reholstered when leaving the car that it would be fine . If you left the gun in that area and left the car, I think it would be "unconcealed".

#27 ·
I don't understand why you guys are clarifing what an unrestricted vs. restricted license is. He said he has an unrestricted license. The issue I think he is wanting to find out is, "is it considered concealed in a holster under the steering wheel?" I would think that if you stored it there while driving and then reholstered when leaving the car that it would be fine . If you left the gun in that area and left the car, I think it would be "unconcealed".
Perfect Answer

#20 ·
Secure the gun on your person and keep it there.

Leaving it in the car without some sort of heavy duty lockbox or 'vault' is irresponsible.

Casual gun security and safety only gets someone hurt or in trouble. Be vigilant and respectful of these things and we will all be better off.

Reactions: cranberry
#21 ·
I didn't get the impression from OP that he ever intended to leave the gun unattended; rather was it legal in NY to have it loaded and holstered under the steering column while traveling presumably for quicker access while seated and strapped in. Would this not provide a tactical advantage while driving? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Agree 100% with not to leave in car unattended this way. Still, the question raised was if it is legal to do so not whether its the best thing to do. I believe it is legal but am not an expert on these matters. Best to call the NYSP or your permit office.

#25 ·
From the professional point of view, as well as the responsible one, No. I can tell you that some law enforcement officers AND some judges will give you lots of unwanted attention if you use this method. In some area, it may actually be illegal. Your permit is for carry - in your body - not to attach it to your car.

Tactical issues: You can be easily separated from your handgun if someone were to grab you. The gun is not secure unless it's attached to you.

Pocket carry is one of those 'casual carry' modes that only kind of work. From the Defensive Firearms Instructor's angle, it's slow, not as efficient, and unreliable.

Get the gun into a good, solid holster, get it attached to your waistline somewhere, and learn how to present the handgun, from concealment, from that carry location. It can be done while seated in a car, I guarantee it.

If you carry, you cannot think casual, you have to think effective and reliable. Too many options out there are for the casual CCW-er and not the true, trained, and effective CCW-er. Don;t fall into the casual mindset.
Carrying a gun for self defense is more than an activity. it's a mindset and way of life.

#28 ·
Lots of grey areas here, but as I understand it, a holster that is attached to the vehicle and not in plain sight would be legal as long as you are in the vehicle. When you exit the vehicle, you would have to either take the gun with you or secure it in a lockbox that attaches to the vehicle and isn't in plain sight from outside.

SafePacker makes a pouch that attaches to the shoulder harness of your seatbelt. That should also pass muster because it completely covers the gun and it doesn't look like a holster -- it's square, not pistol-shaped.

If you want to keep the gun on your person, I suggest a cross-draw belt holster under a cover garment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.