New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You can't carry even with a Sportsman permit, or you can't open carry with a Sportsman permit?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think the problem is "in the Adirondacks." Isn't that a prohibited place?

·
Registered
664 Posts
If its legal to hunt from the trails and you have a hunting licance I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry. I have never hunted there so I don't know what type of hunting regs they have.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
can you hunt from those trails
I think with a hunting license your good to go.
I think the problem is "in the Adirondacks." Isn't that a prohibited place?
If its legal to hunt from the trails and you have a hunting licance I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry. I have never hunted there so I don't know what type of hunting regs they have.
Your permit is to "have and carry concealed".

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Your permit is to "have and carry concealed".
Correct. HOWEVER, aren't the Adirondacks a prohibited place?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Correct. HOWEVER, aren't the Adirondacks a prohibited place?
9 CRR-NY 375.1 p 1 states that possession of a firearm is prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office.

Office meaning the NYS Office of Parks. I don't think the Adirondack park falls under that.

But...

Title 6 §190.28 Foot trail easements--Adirondack Mountain Reserve

Part 190: Use Of State Lands - Page 3 - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation Look there for a list of easements.

2. No person shall carry firearms on Adirondack Mountain Reserve foot trail easements except at such times and on such trails as are hereinafter specified.

3. No person shall carry a firearm or be accompanied by a person carrying a firearm under any circumstances when using Trails 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 and 21.

4. No person shall carry a firearm or be accompanied by a person carrying a firearm when using Trail 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17, 22, 23 or 24 except during such part of the annual Big Game and Small Game Seasons in the Northern Zone as shall occur from October 15th through December 15th and from January 15th through March 15th.

5. No person shall carry a firearm when otherwise permitted unless said firearm is unloaded and either securely fastened in a case or taken down as defined in section 180.3 of this Title.

·
Registered
355 Posts
9 CRR-NY 375.1 p 1 states that possession of a firearm is prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office.

Office meaning the NYS Office of Parks. I don't think the Adirondack park falls under that.

But...

Title 6§190.28 Foot trail easements--Adirondack Mountain Reserve

Part 190: Use Of State Lands - Page 3 - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation Look there for a list of easements.

2. No person shall carry firearms on Adirondack Mountain Reserve foot trail easements except at such times and on such trails as are hereinafter specified.

3. No person shall carry a firearm or be accompanied by a person carrying a firearm under any circumstances when using Trails 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 and 21.

4. No person shall carry a firearm or be accompanied by a person carrying a firearm when using Trail 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 16, 17, 22, 23 or 24 except during such part of the annual Big Game and Small Game Seasons in the Northern Zone as shall occur from October 15th through December 15th and from January 15th through March 15th.

5. No person shall carry a firearm when otherwise permitted unless said firearm is unloaded and either securely fastened in a case or taken down as defined in section 180.3 of this Title.
That's because AMR land is NOT state land.......it's an easement granted by the Ausable club members to allow the general public to access to several trails in their area. That's why in your link they go through the trouble of describing specific trail numbers where they do allow access to state lands during big game/small game dates only.....but you can't hunt their lands, just transit through.

Hec; you can't hike through there with a dog either.....their land; their rules.....It's not state land.

You need a valid small game license to open carry anywhere else on ADK lands. This excludes places like public campgrounds where specific rules apply to firearms.

You should probably know these are the species you could be after if asked;
"......... The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow or firearm."

From; Small Game Hunting - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

·
Registered
113 Posts
can you open carry while hiking on trails in Adirondacks?
You can not open carry on trails in Adirondacks but you can carry on some trails head just not public trails call DCE my buddy carry's all the time

Self-issuing permit means a department form which is filled out by visitors at trailhead register boxes or is issued by a department employee, the original of which is deposited in the register box and a copy of which is carried by the visitor. Such permits may include information on rules and regulations, safety, and general backcountry guidelines.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
That's because AMR land is NOT state land.......it's an easement granted by the Ausable club members to allow the general public to access to several trails in their area.
Yes. Hopefully my post was clear that it applied to specific AMR easements only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts