New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just bought a good size boat and I was wondering if you can legally carry a pistol on a boat if you have a carry permit? Also is it legal to keep a loaded long gun on board. Just in case of pirates.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I see your location is Niagara county. If you friend is by you...be very vey very careful with which side of that Canadian Line you are on. forms required to bring long guns over and don't even try a pistol. I wanted to hunt up ther with one and no go

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yup! U may need to shoot leaping stingrays..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I see your location is Niagara county. If you friend is by you...be very vey very careful with which side of that Canadian Line you are on. forms required to bring long guns over and don't even try a pistol. I wanted to hunt up ther with one and no go
Uuuummmm? You can bring both pistols and rifles to canada.....u wouldn't want to be ccw a pistol for sure though.

Another thing to remember is that canadians consider flare pistols to be pistols....make sure u r flares are not the pistol kind (if u may be near/in canadian waters)

pirates in ny? Bwah ha ha! Aaarrr matie!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Uuuummmm? You can bring both pistols and rifles to canada.....u wouldn't want to be ccw a pistol for sure though.

Another thing to remember is that canadians consider flare pistols to be pistols....make sure u r flares are not the pistol kind (if u may be near/in canadian waters)

pirates in ny? Bwah ha ha! Aaarrr matie!
I have brought rifles in to hunt. just a form. The pistol was a bigger pain so I didn't do it. Both require paperwork. It isn't a "just carry it ins' type of thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please be careful with any water craft...I've had many a boating mishap unfortunately while possessing my firearms. Shame, very tragic...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I understand that MSRs make a watercraft very unstable. Apparently there have been many boating accidents since January 2013 and, while no direct causation has been found, there is a strong correlation to overturning with an MSR on board. Stick with a pistol or shottie.

·
Registered
982 Posts
When carrying in a boat, which direction is it safe to have your gun pointing? Up? Down?

·
Registered
629 Posts
When carrying in a boat, which direction is it safe to have your gun pointing? Up? Down?
If I had to pick one, I'd say up 'cause I don't want you drilling a hole in my hull or fuel tank. When I go sharkin', we do a mad minute at the end of the day and blow the sh..t out of all our floats.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good question ive been asking for years still cant get an answer hope you do. I would like to do some shooting on a calm day in the ocean. Used to do clays off back of boat while shark fishing. # miles off international waters so your ok but inshore of that not sure if they consider that range shooting.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
No loaded long guns on the boat unless the motor is off and you are stationary. It comes from Environmental and conservation law.
Everyone is a potential duck hunter apparently.
Handguns are fine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
When roaming the calm waters with your firearms, do ya still have to abide by the "500, dwelling" rule?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I lost all my MSRs in a tragic accident. My favorite sport in the world is called "Gun Twirling while Water Skiing". Unfortunately, I managed to lose ALL my guns.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Took a trip to the Bahamas on a private boat once. When we got there they asked for ID/Passports and asked to declare any fire arms. Its not a joke piracy still exists and is acknowledged by many countries, in those countries firearms are permitted to have on board but need to be declared. Obviously don't drift into the wrong waters not all countries are so trusting.

Guns on Boats

1 - 20 of 22 Posts