New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a ~6 month old son that just started day care. Can I legally carry in that day care (provided no signs, they don't ask me to, etc)? I'm not even sure if I will or not, but I'm sure there will eventually be a day where I may want to. For example, I may have the day off of work, and have some errands to run and not want to drive back home to pick up my pistol.

I think I'm legally able to, but not 100% sure. If I am able to, when does a day care turn into a school where I'm not able to carry (like a preschool)? I understand that nobody is giving legal advice, you're not lawyers, etc.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
um...skip the day care for that day and take the kid with you on your errands? Problem solved!
I can't take him with me to the range, or hunting, or some other things. But, I do take him most places I go.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
To my knowledge, most daycare facilities do not qualify as "schools". They don't follow academic curriculum's set forth by NYS, and they're not funded in the same manner as schools (whether public or private). I would recommend a double-check, however, just to make sure your kid's daycare does not fall under the NYS school designation.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You can carry.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You absolutely can. It wasn't too long ago some nut shot up his ex wife or something in front of the daycare place in some other state.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
My wife and I home school our son, can I carry in my home?
Well, that depends, if you apply for a charter or whatever is required by NYS to formally become a "designated school", you never know...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a couple of friends (ok I have more then a couple but I am just referring to 2 of them) who are priests with ccw permits in NY who are assigned to churches with schools. They live there on "campus" in the rectory. I believe they fall under " authorized" by the school as they are in effect head of the school(?). I still wonder if the law applies to private institutions like a catholic school. hmm.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My aunt runs a daycare from her home and her husband owns a bunch of guns that he keeps there..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Don't show any of the kids your gun and you wont have to worry about anything until after a situation arises and you need to draw said gun and protect yourself as well as the small children and then you will be a hero and everyone will love you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It appears that you can carry. If you are the owner of the "Family Day Care", ie daycare in the home, you cannot have any loaded firearms in the home. They must be locked with the ammo locked separate. It does not mention a client bringing a child to the daycare. I am assuming that you're ok. Just go the the NYS OCFS (office of child and family services) website and search.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well, I guess it would depend on what he drives. I drive a jeep wrangler, probably the most unsecured vehicle on the market. I wouldn't want to leave my gun in the car unless I bought one of thoose lock boxes for it and even then id still worry about it the whole time i was gone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts