New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today to do a little gun break in, Started with the Diamondback, this gun now has 250+ rounds through it. I had 3 FTE's. the first two were about 125 rounds and came later in the session, the third was today, the gun was almost too hot to handle after 40 rounds, rather rapid fire, let it cool, but 55 more through it without incident including some Winchester Ranger HP's that I will be carrying in this gun. I am happy with it's performance. I will start carrying it. Accuracy was acceptable

Target was at 21 feet, rapid fire, basically as soon as the front sight comes on target. no bullseye bull****, maybe when I am old enough to start wearing a diaper and crapping myself I'll shoot bullseye, but not now.

Next up S&W M&P Compact 40, same deal, This gun shoots perfectly, IT's basically a Glock with a ****tier trigger. 75 rounds through it. No issues but I noticed with WOlf ammo (was given to me as part of trade) the slide was very sluggish, leads me to believe the ammo is rather low powered, but it still worked without issue. I feel confident in carrying it after I get a box of fighting ammo to run through it. Accuracy was acceptable

This is the revolver I picked up, gun is tight but bluing is beat, dont' care, it was cheap. It's a late 60's vintage piece with a typical heavy revolver, but single action is super light and crisp. This gun had 3 ftf's in rapid fire but the all went off on a second strike, I would guess the Ammo, Remington green box which is about a ****ty as it gets. I only put 25 round down, it's less enjoyable to shoot than the Diamondback, I won't carry it either. Accuracy sucks, the only way I would hit the head was single action, probably user error, been a while since I shot a revolver. I'll give it to the wife to use I guess.

I wasnt going to fire my Glock since I forgot to save some ammo but it felt left out tucked in my belt all cozy in it's happy little holster so I fired the +P+ ammo i had in it for accuracy comparison, only 10 shots. I wanted at least 1 bullet for the ride home since I didn't bring a reload. HOT HOT HOT ammo, thus the stringing, accuay is acceptable and thus far the tightest fo the 4

Springfield XDs 45. THis gun feels great and has the second best sights on it, second best only cuz the Glock has night sights. I was only going to put 50 rounds through it but I couldn't stop shooting it!!! I ended up putting 150+ through it including some +P Hornady's. IT definitely lets you know you have a big wad of awesome being sent into a bad guy's skull. I love this gun, Trigger is as good as my well broken in Glock and a touch crisper. Functioned perfectly. Accuracy, all I can say is holy ****ing sharks with lasers!!! Guess what is accompanying me to dinner tonight!

And yes, my hands hurt a little from pounding down all these rounds (about 325-350) in less than hours time through some pretty small, light guns.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Next up S&W M&P Compact 40, same deal, This gun shoots perfectly, IT's basically a Glock with a ****tier trigger. 75 rounds through it. No issues but I noticed with WOlf ammo (was given to me as part of trade) the slide was very sluggish, leads me to believe the ammo is rather low powered, but it still worked without issue.
That's kind of Wolf ammo in a nutshell; not the greatest stuff in the whole world, but is pretty cheap and (usually) goes bang.

Pretty nice groups out of the XDs, too.

·
Registered
810 Posts
For seven yards your groups are rather sloppy! Yes I understand you were practicing defensive firing but sloppy technique on a one way range not under stress will result in an estimated triple your group size under the stress of a fight - I have been taught by a number of very well respected instructors with gunfight experience and they all agree that practice should be focused on getting solid accurate hits as fast as you can. That should translate at seven yards to shoot as fast as you can and still get a two inch or less group. Groups bigger ? Slow down. Learning and mastering basic sight alignment and trigger control may not be as fun as hosing rounds down range fast ( back in the pre ban days I was guilty of a 30 round mag dump as much as the next guy) but only once you repeatedly apply perfect technique many times ( hundreds if not thousands of shots) will it become part of the subconscious where it will allow you to auto pilot in a fight. Read about Jim Cirillo of the nypd. Survived probably more gunfights than any cop in the history of our state and he firmly states properly applying fundamentals is what won his fights

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
For seven yards your groups are rather sloppy! Yes I understand you were practicing defensive firing but sloppy technique on a one way range not under stress will result in an estimated triple your group size under the stress of a fight - I have been taught by a number of very well respected instructors with gunfight experience and they all agree that practice should be focused on getting solid accurate hits as fast as you can. That should translate at seven yards to shoot as fast as you can and still get a two inch or less group. Groups bigger ? Slow down. Learning and mastering basic sight alignment and trigger control may not be as fun as hosing rounds down range fast ( back in the pre ban days I was guilty of a 30 round mag dump as much as the next guy) but only once you repeatedly apply perfect technique many times ( hundreds if not thousands of shots) will it become part of the subconscious where it will allow you to auto pilot in a fight. Read about Jim Cirillo of the nypd. Survived probably more gunfights than any cop in the history of our state and he firmly states properly applying fundamentals is what won his fights
...those are excellent groups for 21ft.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really Dan, hmmm, every one of those shots would be center of mass, most would be center of skull. Next time we play 3 gun you can sjow me how to slow down

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not trying to slam you evild I know you can shoot better ( I have seen it!) and the group. With the glock is reasonable. I had an off day at Thursday's three gun myself. For a simple example I would say at one of our typical three gun matches if there are say 20 pistol targets and someone needs more than 24 rounds to hit all the pistol targets they probably need to slow down and take more time with sights and trigger

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Went to the range today to do a little gun break in, Started with the Diamondback, this gun now has 250+ rounds through it. I had 3 FTE's. the first two were about 125 rounds and came later in the session, the third was today, the gun was almost too hot to handle after 40 rounds, rather rapid fire, let it cool, but 55 more through it without incident including some Winchester Ranger HP's that I will be carrying in this gun. I am happy with it's performance. I will start carrying it. Accuracy was acceptable

Target was at 21 feet, rapid fire, basically as soon as the front sight comes on target. no bullseye bull****, maybe when I am old enough to start wearing a diaper and crapping myself I'll shoot bullseye, but not now.

Next up S&W M&P Compact 40, same deal, This gun shoots perfectly, IT's basically a Glock with a ****tier trigger. 75 rounds through it. No issues but I noticed with WOlf ammo (was given to me as part of trade) the slide was very sluggish, leads me to believe the ammo is rather low powered, but it still worked without issue. I feel confident in carrying it after I get a box of fighting ammo to run through it. Accuracy was acceptable

This is the revolver I picked up, gun is tight but bluing is beat, dont' care, it was cheap. It's a late 60's vintage piece with a typical heavy revolver, but single action is super light and crisp. This gun had 3 ftf's in rapid fire but the all went off on a second strike, I would guess the Ammo, Remington green box which is about a ****ty as it gets. I only put 25 round down, it's less enjoyable to shoot than the Diamondback, I won't carry it either. Accuracy sucks, the only way I would hit the head was single action, probably user error, been a while since I shot a revolver. I'll give it to the wife to use I guess.

I wasnt going to fire my Glock since I forgot to save some ammo but it felt left out tucked in my belt all cozy in it's happy little holster so I fired the +P+ ammo i had in it for accuracy comparison, only 10 shots. I wanted at least 1 bullet for the ride home since I didn't bring a reload. HOT HOT HOT ammo, thus the stringing, accuay is acceptable and thus far the tightest fo the 4

Springfield XDs 45. THis gun feels great and has the second best sights on it, second best only cuz the Glock has night sights. I was only going to put 50 rounds through it but I couldn't stop shooting it!!! I ended up putting 150+ through it including some +P Hornady's. IT definitely lets you know you have a big wad of awesome being sent into a bad guy's skull. I love this gun, Trigger is as good as my well broken in Glock and a touch crisper. Functioned perfectly. Accuracy, all I can say is holy ****ing sharks with lasers!!! Guess what is accompanying me to dinner tonight!

And yes, my hands hurt a little from pounding down all these rounds (about 325-350) in less than hours time through some pretty small, light guns.
Awesome write-up.

I told you that you would love the XDS!

Cannot go wrong with that gun, well maybe a bit wrong. It was wrong of you not to buy it from me!

I know, I know, price was to good to pass up!

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Started with the Diamondback, this gun now has 250+ rounds through it. I had 3 FTE's. the first two were about 125 rounds and came later in the session, the third was today ... I am happy with it's performance. I will start carrying it.
3 FTE out of 250 rounds doesn't concern you?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, as I stated, the gun was almost too hot to handle. Will to bet the chamber.expanded due to that. It eill never get that hot in a self defense situation

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
You're probably right. The heat is probably the issue. It would still concern me until I shot a mag or two with it "cold" 10 or 12 different times. If you're confident, that's all that really matter though. Nice shooting btw!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I was thinking of an XDs but my XDm .45 is a hand full of awesomeness! Nice shooting by the way

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're probably right. The heat is probably the issue. It would still concern me until I shot a mag or two with it "cold" 10 or 12 different times. If you're confident, that's all that really matter though. Nice shooting btw!
Cold it works fine. THere isnt a lot of metal in this gun. And thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm currently using an XDS as my EDC gun and I love the thing. It actually kicks less than my brother in law's Ruger LC9. The only FTF I had with it were when I let one of my best friends shoot it. He was limp wristing like mad and had a jam 25 out of 50 rounds. Other than that, I've put a little over 350 through it and haven't had a single jam of my own.

·
Registered
558 Posts
when my life is in jeopardy i don't want any FTF that would be why i carry a glock 29
i may not be wading through water or in the desert or dunking it in mud
but have been in some hairy situations with a FTF m16
big round = big problems for the attacker
its my edc i love it have a pearce grip extensions and still easily concealable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts