New York Firearms Forum banner

Carry at the State Fair

10K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  merlin186 
#1 ·
Can I carry at the State Fair in Syracuse next week?

#2 ·
For the gun show? Yes, but they will have to ensure that you are not loaded. No loaded firearms are allowed in the building.

#4 ·
not to thread jack but have you ever been to the state fair before? ill be going next week for my first time to see the jason aldean and luke bryan concert on Friday. i heard the fair is just awesome and huge so it should be a good day. i know i wont be carrying as i will be going from my campus to the fair and no way i can have a firearm on campus.

either way i hope carrying at the fair is legal. will make me feel a little better knowing that others are carrying since i cant.

#6 ·
He said he would be leaving from his campus, on which he cannot have a gun.

#14 ·
Did they give you the OK for Ulster? I really don't see it being a problem as I recall the only places that legally prohibit CCW or any firearms for that matter are State funded schools. BTW I saw Lee Brice at Ulster county fair this year and it was a ton of fun.

#13 ·
I don't recall any signs when entering the fair about no guns allowed but it's best to check with an authority.

#15 · (Edited)
So I called Main Telephone Number: (315) 487-7711 Security Officeext. 1307
and was told it was State Land...NO FIREARMS. :confused::bs:

Called the Receptionist at ext 1000 and she laughed at me. I got transferred around 3 or 4 times and ended up talking to a Trooper. Believe it or not, he couldnt answer my question and asked me to call back tomorrow morning (315) 487-7711 ext 1390 and ask for Sgt Allen.

I'll keep you posted.

#22 · (Edited)
There's no metal detectors at the gates of the State Fairgrounds. Concealed is concealed. Just make sure you got a good retention holster as you'll be asses to elbows with people waiting in line to eat every heart-attack special known to mankind.

The Fair's website makes no mention of guns... and seems the only prohibited items are pets, alcoholic beverages brought in from the outside and glass containers.

The Great New York State Fair

#23 · (Edited)
If the State Fair was a state park, then they wouldn't have any gun shows there. Nor would they allow ANY carry during the show.

The other issue you have to be careful with is asking too many people or asking the wrong people. You raise awareness of carrying and their initial reaction is usually nor or eventually, they get thinking about it and a sign or rule gets put into place - all because someone brought it up. It has happened in a few businesses where an employee did not see a 'no weapons policy' on the books and they decided to ask. Guess what came out in a revised employee manual very shortly afterwards? You guessed it, a 'no weapons policy'.

Another incident happened when a client was traveling here for training and asked a few chain hotels about their gun policy. Although he could not find a stated policy anywhere, he was told no guns by the clerk or manager of almost every hotel he called. Wonder why? Do you think that a corporate chain would say go ahead when they are owned or run by the sheep of the world?

Short story, look first. If you don't see it posted, then look into the laws. if you cannot find a no gun policy, then it's not there and just go about your merry way.

As mentioned before: concealed is concealed. That means not only not visible, but you don't advertise by talking about it. At least to the wrong people.

I always try to do the research with sources I trust or in ways that do not raise any eyebrows.

#25 ·
If the State Fair was a state park, then they wouldn't have any gun shows there. Nor would they allow ANY carry during the show.

The other issue you have to be careful with is asking too many people or asking the wrong people. You raise awareness of carrying and their initial reaction is usually nor or eventually, they get thinking about it and a sign or rule gets put into place - all because someone brought it up. It has happened in a few businesses where an employee did not see a 'no weapons policy' on the books and they decided to ask. Guess what came out in a revised employee manual very shortly afterwards? You guessed it, a 'no weapons policy'.

Another incident happened when a client was traveling here for training and asked a few chain hotels about their gun policy. Although he could not find a stated policy anywhere, he was told no guns by the clerk or manager of almost every hotel he called. Wonder why? Do you think that a corporate chain would say go ahead when they are owned or run by the sheep of the world?

Short story, look first. If you don't see it posted, then look into the laws. if you cannot find a no gun policy, then it's not there and just go about your merry way.

As mentioned before: concealed is concealed. That means not only not visible, but you don't advertise by talking about it. At least to the wrong people.

I always try to do the research with sources I trust or in ways that do not raise any eyebrows.
So it is legal to carry at the gun show coming up in a couple of weeks? I swear last time this subject came up you said the opposite unless I misread something.

James

#27 ·
I was at the fair today and was curious about the ability to carry there myself. There is nothing stated on the NYS Fair website about it. When you go in the entrance the sign says "All weapons and contraband will be confiscated". I'm not sure what the legal definition of weapon would be. I would think that anything within reach is a potential weapon but only when used against someone physically.

There was a high school punk inspecting bags but no metal detectors or pat downs.

#29 ·
I never said I was paranoid, I actually felt very safe there. I was wondering about the legality of carrying there and why that can't post it on the website. I'm sure everyone that carries would appreciate being aware that it is/isn't allowed before getting to the main gate. This is a preexisting thread about the subject so I'm not the only one wondering about it.

I don't appreciate your insinuation that anyone that carries is just paranoid.

#30 ·
If the Fair is considered a state park, then it's off limits. I think the sign you saw may have told you as well. If they say that weapons and contraband will be confiscated, then that's it.

Your concealed handgun, knife, etc would be considered a weapon

I do believe that there were other discussions on this too. For more reference, do a search and read those threads

#37 ·
I went there today and you have to go through a bag check. It says all weapons and contraband will be confiscated. So probably not.

Like others have said, just call to ask to be 100% sure.

Anyways, the place is always flooded with local and state police for your protection and safety.

#39 ·
I went there today and you have to go through a bag check. It says all weapons and contraband will be confiscated. So probably not.

Like others have said, just call to ask to be 100% sure.

Anyways, the place is always flooded with local and state police for your protection and safety.
They can check my bags don't touch my hip, lol

#38 ·
Well, I walked around every inch of that place and if a nut bag went nuts in 99% of the spots it would be over before one of them responded. So remind us why YOU carry ?

I love the "call and ask" mentality. Just like someone Posted earlier about the hotels. There's no way they're just going to say come on in and carry.

To each their own.

#42 ·
I go to two little town fairs and our state fair and always carry concealed, Out of sight, out of mind. I carry every day from the time I get up until the time I go to bed, I carry everywhere that is legal to carry, I'm not parinoid, just know if SHTF I will need to re-act right now, not in two or three minutes after the fact when Dick Tracy comes after he's been notified of a disturbance. Law enforcement gets called to report a crime that has taken place, by the time they get dispached it's over most of the time and at a state fair with thousands & thousands of people in attendence the assailent will be gone in the crowd and gone in seconds, mean while your dead or dieing from his illegal concealed firearm.

If there is no sight and if I got caught it wouldn't be a felony, I'd take my chances and take mister Colt or Mister Smith & Wesson along for the ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.