New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
For the gun show? Yes, but they will have to ensure that you are not loaded. No loaded firearms are allowed in the building.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think he means at the "fair"...the actual fair.

·
Registered
460 Posts
not to thread jack but have you ever been to the state fair before? ill be going next week for my first time to see the jason aldean and luke bryan concert on Friday. i heard the fair is just awesome and huge so it should be a good day. i know i wont be carrying as i will be going from my campus to the fair and no way i can have a firearm on campus.

either way i hope carrying at the fair is legal. will make me feel a little better knowing that others are carrying since i cant.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the actual fair. I have a friend playing in the wheelchair basketball tournament next week and want to carry at the fair...

RM08: why cant you carry? Your signature says Unrestricted...?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, the actual fair. I have a friend playing in the wheelchair basketball tournament next week and want to carry at the fair...

He said he would be leaving from his campus, on which he cannot have a gun.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

He's coming from school and can't have his guns at school.

·
Registered
460 Posts
best bet would be to call the local police department to see if there are any laws against it and also contact the manager of the fair and see if they have a policy against it. that it what i did when i went to the ulster county fair.

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
I don't recall any signs when entering the fair about no guns allowed but it's best to check with an authority.

·
Registered
258 Posts
best bet would be to call the local police department to see if there are any laws against it and also contact the manager of the fair and see if they have a policy against it. that it what i did when i went to the ulster county fair.
Did they give you the OK for Ulster? I really don't see it being a problem as I recall the only places that legally prohibit CCW or any firearms for that matter are State funded schools. BTW I saw Lee Brice at Ulster county fair this year and it was a ton of fun.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So I called Main Telephone Number: (315) 487-7711 Security Officeext. 1307
and was told it was State Land...NO FIREARMS. :confused::bs:

Called the Receptionist at ext 1000 and she laughed at me. I got transferred around 3 or 4 times and ended up talking to a Trooper. Believe it or not, he couldnt answer my question and asked me to call back tomorrow morning (315) 487-7711 ext 1390 and ask for Sgt Allen.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Umm isn't state land public and legal to carry? You need to talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about hah.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Umm isn't state land public and legal to carry? You need to talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about hah.
I believe the fairgrounds are considered a state park. Hence, no carry...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm so confused!
This is why we need stricter gun laws. If only James Holmes had called ahead to the movie theater and asked if it was allowed to carry or not, we couldve prevented a major tragedy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I believe the fairgrounds are considered a state park. Hence, no carry...
Sterling Forest State park is legal to carry and hunt, however Harriman State park is no hunting or firearms but I'm pretty sure concealed carry is still allowed ie for hikers. I'm going to have to do some more research before I can tell you that with 100% confidence though.

edit: from DEC website http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html
"bb. No person shall possess breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons, on State lands and no person shall target shoot at breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons and glass containers, on State lands. Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting, no person shall discharge firearms on State lands posted or designated as closed to target shooting."

Its vague, but does not say you cannot carry. DEC is the final authority on this, but I gues you should trust whatever the trooper says being that he's going to be the one arresting you if your caught carrying and he believes you are not allowed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Did they give you the OK for Ulster? I really don't see it being a problem as I recall the only places that legally prohibit CCW or any firearms for that matter are State funded schools. BTW I saw Lee Brice at Ulster county fair this year and it was a ton of fun.
the guy that ran the fair said there are no polices against carry but doesnt see why i would need to and preferred that i did not carry ( his preference doesnt matter to me, sorry if that sound means but he probably just hates guns, no policy means good to go as long as no law). i ulster county pistol permit first and they did not have an answer for me and told me to contact new paltz police dept. i called new paltz and talk to a very nice lady officer who said that she nor anyone else that was present at the time knew of any laws against carrying on the property and said that the land was county owned. the lady told me she did not see a problem with it since county pistol permit office told me they didnt know of anything against it either.

i also was there to see Lee Brice this year and it was a good show.
there was an older gentleman, retired deputy, there i saw walking around open carrying a glock on his hip :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts