New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's TN gun carry permit is not recognized in NJ. Can she travel by car into NJ if her handgun is empty and locked in the car trunk?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
No. A PA womman was just arrested on this
I believe she had the handgun on her, loaded, a different situation entirely. Peaceable journey is supposed to apply, provided you just stop for gas or potty breaks. No overnight stays.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No. A PA womman was just arrested on this
No she was arrested for having a loaded (bonus for hollow points) pistol.

As the previous poster said. Unloaded, locked up, out of the passenger compartment, with no stops in NJ and you are protected by federal law.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
#1 rule when you travel through east coast s***hole states: DO NOT GET STOPPED BY THE GESTAPO.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Under any circumstances, do NOT enter NYC, even if traveling through.

Federal law says you can travel THROUGH, stop for gas and food only, and must be out within 8 hours of entering state.

How it's stored is up to each state. Best bet to keep in lockbox in trunk, unloaded with no mags or ammo nearby (check each state law prior to traveling).

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
and do NOT bring hollow points into NJ!
not true. Hollow points are allowed in NJ. You can not shoot someone with hollow points.

You can shoot game with hollow points and targets. I shoot with guys in NJ every month at a uspsa match. Many use hollow points.

Lock u your guns and u r gtg. I do it every month. Sometimes more.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Its my understanding you can have them at home, at a range, or locked up while going to the range. That is all that is permissible.
This. I shoot frequently with my cousin at a range in NJ. He's very anal about the gun laws in his state. We shoot hollow points.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
You can carry hollow points in your firearm in NJ under HR218.
That I know. I meant buying a case of HP ammo (whatever caliber) in say, TN, and then driving it back to NY.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That I know. I meant buying a case of HP ammo (whatever caliber) in say, TN, and then driving it back to NY.
It' should be avoided. Brian Aitken(sp) was convicted of possessing hollow point out side of the permitted reasons. ie. store, home, range.

Brian was arrested and charged with possessing his handguns outside those restrictions and also had a magazine that held 16 rounds. Those charges were dropped on appeal but the hollow point charge was upheld.

I believe his sentence was commuted by the governor but he remains a convicted felon.

Here is an NRA report comparing his and Shaneen Allen's plight.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Technically I am going to my home from a store though.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Under any circumstances, do NOT enter NYC, even if traveling through.

Federal law says you can travel THROUGH, stop for gas and food only, and must be out within 8 hours of entering state.

How it's stored is up to each state. Best bet to keep in lockbox in trunk, unloaded with no mags or ammo nearby (check each state law prior to traveling).
I didn't see anything about time limit in the law (FOPA) and the law did detail on how to pack it in the car. Is there case law that gave a time limit?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It' should be avoided. Brian Aitken(sp) was convicted of possessing hollow point out side of the permitted reasons. ie. store, home, range.

Brian was arrested and charged with possessing his handguns outside those restrictions and also had a magazine that held 16 rounds. Those charges were dropped on appeal but the hollow point charge was upheld.

I believe his sentence was commuted by the governor but he remains a convicted felon.

Here is an NRA report comparing his and Shaneen Allen's plight.

FOPA did not apply in that case. It was NJ case only. No interstate travel. He was traveling from a NJ location to a NJ location. Its a BS thing in NJ and the hollowpoint thing that if while moving, he stopped by the range inbetween, its legal but he was driving from home to new home, he is guilty of the hollowpoint law?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts