New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff and I had the opportunity to participate in something just a bit different today. We attended the annual Armed Forces Day Car Shoot celebration at an undisclosed location. We had a great time, shot a car for the first time, shot lots of Tannerite (there was $1000 worth of Tannerite on site), shot in the 2x4 competition and not only won but we set a new time record. All in all it was a perfect day, the weather was perfect, we visited with some old friends and made some new ones. Here are some photos and video of the day.

Racks of fun stacked up and ready.

Ready to rock. Note Fluffy at the rear of the car, he was turned to confetti.

One third through the day. Reloading with Tannerite. That's Fluffy all over the ground.

Tannerites up, time to shoot.

Oops.

Car is toasted.

The 2x4 contest winners with our medals. :)

Here is video of the car shoot and the 2x4 shoot. First video is about 2 1/2 minutes, the 2x4 is about a minute.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats on the win!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
How does one get invited for next time? Or is it for a certain small group only?

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How does one get invited for next time? Or is it for a certain small group only?
It's a private affair on private property. I am lucky enough to work with a couple guys who are good friends with the family that puts this together every year. This was their 8th year IIRC but the first time out for me. What a blast. Tannerite was exploding all day long. The final shot was a gallon jug of Tannerite.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the win.... I wonder what the guy in the yellow earmuffs was shooting in the 2x4 challenge? S+W .44 in stainless??
I believe it was a .357 Magnum. He is one of my co-workers, I'll ask tomorrow.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Omg that looks like fun!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
So if one wanted to do this themselves, what counties in NY would be the best choice, as far as no one would care (LE) if they even knew what you were doing. And how much land would you want , to keep it safe and away from prying eyes?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Lol.... This reminds me of the scene in the movie Jackass with the rental car.... Seriously... you could do this on your proprty but with the amount of smoke and nopise from the Tannerite I would reccoment atleast a 50 acre spread...

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This property is pretty far out in the country. The range officer for the day is a federal LEO. I don't know that there would be anything to prevent you from doing this as long as there isn't a noise ordinance where you are. The car catching fire might be an issue but that could have been controlled when it first started. The gas tank had been removed before the shooing started. The range was very well controlled and all the shooters were very good about obeying range commands. We were told at the safety meeting that you would get one warning for any safety violation and a second would result in your being sent home. The RO instructs in firearms almost daily for the Feds so he set the range up in proper fashion with shooting boxes well marked and no shoot zones marked well too. While it looks like chaos in the video, it was actually well controlled.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder what the guy in the yellow earmuffs was shooting in the 2x4 challenge? S+W .44 in stainless??
I asked today, it was a .44.

It surprised me how many shots it takes to cut a 2x4. Jeff and I shot almost 100 rounds between us to cut ours off. I shot .45 and he shot his 9mm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts