New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I submitted a new form to change my political party from "Republican" to "Libertarian" about a month ago. Today I get a response that says "You are registered as a republican and must remain as such until the 2012 General Election, as per NYS law. You will be changed after the election."

Why is this? WTF is with this? Any info would be appreciated.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I can vote for whoever I wish, I'm just curious as to what is up with this policy? That is the big deal really. I thought you could change parties whenever you wished...

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is strange, but maybe it's a timing issue? You might have to wait until after the election.
They said they would change it after the election.

· Registered
813 Posts
I changed mine 2 years ago and had to wait til the next election year also to vote my new party. It's not a big deal as you can vote for any party. My only bitch is when a politician changes parties in midstream they don't have to wait til the following election year to use their new party.

· Registered
573 Posts
It's to prevent manipulation of the Primary system. You can't swap parties right before an election because they don't want a ton of people from the "other side" switching parties, and changing the outcome of the primary elections.
It sort of makes sense to me, since this year, there is no Democrat Presidential primary, there could have been a flood of leftists voting in the Republican primary. The years there is a Republican president, you have the same issue.
Now that I think about it, it makes even more sense for the smaller, local elections, where a smaller shift of people would have a much larger impact on the primary elections for the smaller, local seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.