New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is old news, so I am just ranting for a second.

I have to go pick up my son from school today and I don't have time to go home between my errands and picking him up. I have to be there for at least a half hour to see his project and presentation of it.

I cant really park off school property because of the way the road is there, its very busy with no real shoulder. Leaving the car there that long just isn't a good idea, it would be partially blocking a lane of traffic.

So unless I want to park at least a mile away or in someones driveway, I have to leave it at home.

Why am I suddenly not to be trusted as soon as I cross that invisible line of school property? Do they think the smell of a school will drive me to a blind rage? I just don't get it.

Yeah, not being infringed at all. I know, preaching to the choir and all, but, just.... grrrrr.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
A few very good friends of mine went to the ranger school in wanakena and they could posses shotguns on school grounds as of 2012 for hunting...and there isn't an outbreak of dead stumpies as a result.....people just don't get it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
God forbid someone without a legal right to carry any firearm intended harm upon children or adults on school grounds. They could be a limited threat to everyone with only one properly licensed ccw owner that could help defend multiple people and themselves in such a situation. That doesn't make sense though... why protect children and adults? That's too dangerous, let the criminals brings the guns in and let them do their thing right? It all makes perfect sense, especially when someone has proven to be a law abiding citizen with no criminal charges or felonies and has every right to carry as they have NO intentions of committing crimes, but only to protect.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would never advocate breaking the law.

On an altogether seperate note, I may have a lockbox in my car. And I may have had some items locked in it while parked on school grounds. I may have had some items on me while on college campuses.

I'm talking about my wallet... of course.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I can't carry this weekend. Will be in NYC for the weekend (gross). I have a NY permit, last I heard they were part of the state. Somehow the city can trump state law. Just ranting also.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Q - Is a pistol permit issued by a licensing officer in an upstate county valid in New York City? No. A pistol permit issued by an upstate county is valid in any other county in New York State except New York City.
In order for an upstate licensee to lawfully carry a handgun in New York City, he/she must first make application with the New York City Police Department to have their permit "validated." An investigation will be conducted to determine the authenticity of the license, after which a "needs assessment" will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has sufficiently demonstrated a "need" to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided.
The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a "need" suitable to receive authorization. In cases where "need" is sufficiently demonstrated, permission will be given, usually for a specific period of time, after which the process would start over again.

I should have tried to have it validated just for fun. It would prob cost hundreds just to try...

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
everyone is entitled to a rant. we all know its moronic.

if they really wanted to make a difference then the law would read as follows.

No illegally possessed firearms are allowed on school property, and if you commit a crime with either a legally or illegally possessed firearm and hurt any children or teachers you will have a minimum of double the normal penalty outside of school grounds (if you survive, because there are armed guards inside trained to kill you).

·
Registered
317 Posts
I feel your pain. Several times a week i pick my kid up from school. I wait across the street often getting strange looks like i am a Paedophile. I often wonder what i would say if someone asks why i am waiting across the street from the school.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
everyone is entitled to a rant. we all know its moronic.

if they really wanted to make a difference then the law would read as follows.

No illegally possessed firearms are allowed on school property, and if you commit a crime with either a legally or illegally possessed firearm and hurt any children or teachers you will have a minimum of double the normal penalty outside of school grounds (if you survive, because there are armed guards inside trained to kill you).
Like why its a bad idea to speed in a construction zone.....double the fines and loose your license after 2 tickets

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I feel your pain. Several times a week i pick my kid up from school. I wait across the street often getting strange looks like i am a Paedophile. I often wonder what i would say if someone asks why i am waiting across the street from the school.
"Why are you standing there watching the children?"

"I'm waiting to pick up my kid."

"Why not wait on the sidewalk outside the school, like the other parents?"

A
"Because it is illegal for me to carry and firearm to protect my kid on school grounds. So I legally wait here, and pick him up."
B
"Because I feel like it. What's it to you?"
C
"I don't care for crowds, and there are always a ton of screaming kids when school lets out"

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Q - Is a pistol permit issued by a licensing officer in an upstate county valid in New York City? No. A pistol permit issued by an upstate county is valid in any other county in New York State except New York City.
In order for an upstate licensee to lawfully carry a handgun in New York City, he/she must first make application with the New York City Police Department to have their permit "validated." An investigation will be conducted to determine the authenticity of the license, after which a "needs assessment" will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has sufficiently demonstrated a "need" to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided.
The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a "need" suitable to receive authorization. In cases where "need" is sufficiently demonstrated, permission will be given, usually for a specific period of time, after which the process would start over again.

I should have tried to have it validated just for fun. It would prob cost hundreds just to try...
And thousands in aggravation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just want to add something quick, my wifes an elementary principal and she has CCW and so does the superintendent. The school board makes the decision about guns on school property. Wasn't sure if you were aware of that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just want to add something quick, my wifes an elementary principal and she has CCW and so does the superintendent. The school board makes the decision about guns on school property. Wasn't sure if you were aware of that.
Pretty sure that the law says differently.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pretty sure that the law says differently.
With written permission it is legal.

46 S 41. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 265.01-a to
47 read as follows:
48 S 265.01-A. CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.
49 A PERSON IS GUILTY OF CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL
50 GROUNDS WHEN HE OR SHE KNOWINGLY HAS IN HIS OR HER POSSESSION A RIFLE,
51 SHOTGUN, OR FIREARM IN OR UPON A BUILDING OR GROUNDS, USED FOR EDUCA-
52 TIONAL PURPOSES, OF ANY SCHOOL, COLLEGE, OR UNIVERSITY, EXCEPT THE
53 FORESTRY LANDS, WHEREVER LOCATED, OWNED AND MAINTAINED BY THE STATE
54 UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND FORESTRY, OR
55 UPON A SCHOOL BUS AS DEFINED IN SECTION ONE HUNDRED FORTY-TWO OF THE
S. 2230 22 A. 2388

1 VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC LAW, WITHOUT THE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION OF SUCH
2 EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION.

3 CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS IS A CLASS E FELONY.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With written permission it is legal.

46 S 41. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 265.01-a to
47 read as follows:
48 S 265.01-A. CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.
49 A PERSON IS GUILTY OF CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL
50 GROUNDS WHEN HE OR SHE KNOWINGLY HAS IN HIS OR HER POSSESSION A RIFLE,
51 SHOTGUN, OR FIREARM IN OR UPON A BUILDING OR GROUNDS, USED FOR EDUCA-
52 TIONAL PURPOSES, OF ANY SCHOOL, COLLEGE, OR UNIVERSITY, EXCEPT THE
53 FORESTRY LANDS, WHEREVER LOCATED, OWNED AND MAINTAINED BY THE STATE
54 UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK COLLEGE OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND FORESTRY, OR
55 UPON A SCHOOL BUS AS DEFINED IN SECTION ONE HUNDRED FORTY-TWO OF THE
S. 2230 22 A. 2388

1 VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC LAW, WITHOUT THE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION OF SUCH
2 EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION.

3 CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL GROUNDS IS A CLASS E FELONY.
Interesting. I wonder who has the authority to give me written permission?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts