New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of joining Canandaigua Sportsmen Club, and I was wondering if anyone that is a current member could give details, or offer comments on the club. What do you like (or dislike) about CSC? My wife and I stopped down the other night to check it out, and it seemed kind of busy. We spoke briefly with the gentleman at the desk and he said they has a lot of people shooting Five Stand and Sporting Clays that night; he also mentioned that they have over 400 members. I'm curious as to how much traffic they get there with that many members?

It's $125.00 for their family membership, and if I understood correctly, there's also a $25.00 work bond charge per person. A small chunk of money to get started, but it sounds like they have a decent facility with two rifle ranges, pistol ranges, Five Stand, and Sporting Clays. This would be the first time having a range membership, so I'm not sure how this compares with other ranges in the area? I appreciate any comments that you guys may have to offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Decent people, huge membership although not all attend the meetings and very crowded pistol and rifle ranges on nice days.

·
Registered
620 Posts
$125.00 is in middle of what you will have to pay. I think the work bond is fair because like all clubs you have some that won't help and always the same people helping with what ever the need is that day. If you help I think the bond comes off the following year dues. We at Ontairo charge $75.00 for a family and at the larger clubs it can be over $250.00 , Some guys belong to 2 or 3 clubs. Every club has something and someone different , depends what your shooting preference is. Take the time to go shoot as a guest 2 or 3 times to be sure thats the right choice. You can shoot as my guest at Ontairo anytime sned PM if you like. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decent people, huge membership although not all attend the meetings and very crowded pistol and rifle ranges on nice days.
The people in the clubhouse were friendly and took a few minutes to talk with us even though they were busy. It was a nice day too, so that would explain the good turnout.

$125.00 is in middle of what you will have to pay. I think the work bond is fair because like all clubs you have some that won't help and always the same people helping with what ever the need is that day. If you help I think the bond comes off the following year dues. We at Ontairo charge $75.00 for a family and at the larger clubs it can be over $250.00 , Some guys belong to 2 or 3 clubs. Every club has something and someone different , depends what your shooting preference is. Take the time to go shoot as a guest 2 or 3 times to be sure thats the right choice. You can shoot as my guest at Ontairo anytime sned PM if you like. GOOD LUCK
Yes, that's how it was explained to us regarding the work bond. Not an issue though, I would try to participate with work functions when able. Thanks for the suggestions and the invite, I may take you up on that.

Thanks guys.
Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try Williamson

Canandaigua has a great sporting clays course with nice elevated stations. Their rifle range was a little on the rough side, but was recently upgraded. Although it can only support a couple guys shooting 100/150 yds at a time. Definitely more of an uptight crowd.

I highly recommend Williamson. Their rifle range is great and the people there are much friendlier, much easier going. The management always welcomes new people when they walk in the door any they really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The sporting clays course is a great design, but not quite as nice (PVC boxes). You can't beat the price $50 for a family membership!!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Mendon Conservation League in Mendon, NY. It will have a 100 yard rifle range in the spring. 70 yard pistol range now. It has trap and skeet but no sporting clays. Membership is $90.00 family then drops down to 70. NRA membership is required. You can shoot any day but Tuesday. (cleanup day) and even night shooting on Wednesdays. They give you a "stinkin" badge and everything.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I am a member at CSC and was shooting there today. I do recommend it highly. The only drawback is that as mentioned previously, only two shooters at a time on the 75-100 range lanes. There is a shotgun patterning area and the sporting clays course is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Does anybody else shoot here?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts