New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and I are taking our hunting training course in September. Im not sure what he wants to do but I plan on hunting Canada geese. My concern is that I am utterly terrible at shooting clays, and everybody hunting waterfowl seems to be hitting them in the air. Is it feasible to shoot a Canada goose thats walking on land or even wading near the shore? Around here they are not very afraid of people and you can usually get within 10-12 feet of them.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It's not illegal to take them on the ground or in the water in NY as far as I know, but it is frowned upon by waterfowl hunters as unsportsmanlike. You will more than likely wound or main them because shot will bounce off their heavy too feathers. This is why you try to shoot them when they are locked up to land and their underside is exposed.

Some more info Waterfowl and Migratory Game Bird Hunting - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like people wait until they slow down as the geese are about to land before taking the shot. This looks easier than clays but I can't tell for sure. Clays seem smaller and faster than geese. Watching someone shoot and actually shooting are completely different.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If you can get that close save the ammo and club the SH** out of them, just kidding. As stated above it's nice when they are cupped up and coming in over decoys, but you still need to lead them. Beside hip number and federal duck stamp make sure you use steel shot. If a bird is going from left to right keep a lead and keep swinging after the shot. Don't forget the plug in you're.;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like I'm gonna have to get pretty close anyways my 870 can only take 2.75" shells. People seem to like to use #2 - #4 shot. Heavi-shot also seems to be popular.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
It looks like I'm gonna have to get pretty close anyways my 870 can only take 2.75" shells. People seem to like to use #2 - #4 shot. Heavi-shot also seems to be popular.
I hunt geese with family and friends that are professional guides for waterfowl hunting. They all use BB for geese, kills the **** out of them!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Not to be a wiseass but here we go after hunting geese for years , this year seems to be the best ever for liberal bag limits . DEC has given us the allowance to take 28 a day per gun . If you want to hunt geese start looking a vids on the subject and you will get " ideas " of what is needed to get them to come into your decoys . I use rag decoys I got from cabelas . ( you need a big spread to convince these geese to come in as they have been shot at before ) . Mix your decoys up between rags and hard shells . The best producing spread is called a Kansas City break it's like a snake writhing on the ground . I use a moss berg with a 3 1/2 chamber with either T or BB loads . Yeah they kick the hell out you but they drop geese DRT . It's a fun game with an electronic call . Just seeing hundreds of them headed locked up for your decoys is a thrill to be believed . After the hunt it's best to soak them in salt water then fire up the grill ! Yummy !

·
Registered
774 Posts
Oh, also don't forget to put a plug in your gun. Only 3 shots. How is jumping geese on a pond unsportsman ? You drive deer or sneak up on deer whats the difference?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oh, also don't forget to put a plug in your gun. Only 3 shots. How is jumping geese on a pond unsportsman ? You drive deer or sneak up on deer whats the difference?
Only birds you should be shooting at while they are on the ground are turkey. Shooting at running deer and a sitting bird in the water are two completly different things. Its not illegal just frowned upon by most, to each their own.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Only birds you should be shooting at while they are on the ground are turkey. Shooting at running deer and a sitting bird in the water are two completly different things. Its not illegal just frowned upon by most, to each their own.
The only ones I've shot on the ground were cripples. Shooting into water isn't that smart to do either.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
UH...shoot them at 10 feet and there wont be enough of the bird left to make a cup of soup...practice practice practice

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was my understanding that your shotgun could be capable of loading more than 3 shells (mine holds 4+1) as long as you only keep three shells in it at a time.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Also remember steel shot patterns are tighter than lead. So if you are hunting over decoys, IC choke is all you need.
If clays are too expensive, practice skeet, slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also remember steel shot patterns are tighter than lead. So if you are hunting over decoys, IC choke is all you need.
If clays are too expensive, practice skeet, slightly cheaper.
I have a modified choke. Cost is not a problem I just can't hit the damn things. Perhaps if I patterned my gun first I'd have a better idea why I'm not hitting. I may just be aiming wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts