New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is at least the 3rd reported case where afghan police/soldiers have killed american troops who were there to train them. Pretty sure that is a sign that they don't want us to be in their country and I don't blame them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Eh, there's a lot of angles you can look at this from.

#1 - Being in the military myself I like to know whats going on over there with my fellow brothers, I understand civies might not care, but some people do.

#2 - News is news. If something happens they report it, its their job. It's probably getting them rating because they keep on reporting about it.

#3 - As for the whole them not wanting us there, tough. You're harbor the enemy and we're rooting him out. We won't let them remain safely in a country to regroup and attack simply because they don't like us being there. What we need to start doing is shooting back, once they realize that that sh*t isn't tolerated and we have better guns and more training they'll learn to back down. I've argued this with countless people, I understand we're in their country, imposing our will. But if you harbor the enemy of the US you have to know what to expect, to a degree you're guilty by association.

I can see this sparking a huge debate about the war in Afgan, lets hope this doesn't go off the deep end.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If The USA is going to stay there
Lets do the job The Right Way. Not Like V.N.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Maybe they should make guns illegal in Afghanistan....

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Eh, there's a lot of angles you can look at this from.

#1 - Being in the military myself I like to know whats going on over there with my fellow brothers, I understand civies might not care, but some people do.

#2 - News is news. If something happens they report it, its their job. It's probably getting them rating because they keep on reporting about it.

#3 - As for the whole them not wanting us there, tough. You're harbor the enemy and we're rooting him out. We won't let them remain safely in a country to regroup and attack simply because they don't like us being there. What we need to start doing is shooting back, once they realize that that sh*t isn't tolerated and we have better guns and more training they'll learn to back down. I've argued this with countless people, I understand we're in their country, imposing our will. But if you harbor the enemy of the US you have to know what to expect, to a degree you're guilty by association.

I can see this sparking a huge debate about the war in Afgan, lets hope this doesn't go off the deep end.
Ehh the war could have ended in 45 minutes with only one boomer. The only way to win is the way the US population will not let us fight. Total war, no safe place to run, no warning shots and no surgical strikes. Kill the enemy where they are, the civilians will move out of the way once they see what will happen if they don't.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
All of your answers can be found be reading/watching media sources from other countries. Only then will you get a glimpse of the "other side of the story." I don't mean look at Iran or Afghan media ... look at the media in Germany or Switzerland or Italy for example.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ehh the war could have ended in 45 minutes with only one boomer. The only way to win is the way the US population will not let us fight. Total war, no safe place to run, no warning shots and no surgical strikes. Kill the enemy where they are, the civilians will move out of the way once they see what will happen if they don't.
Yah, but that's a little heartless and not tactically sound. Some of the people there are innocent, its the government that's harboring them, not every guy on the block. Some locals even do everything they can do to help root out enemies. Innocent people don't deserve to be forced out of their homes, and have everything they own be destroyed in a bombing. Now I agree with more aggressive measures. If you live somewhere where your government is harboring enemies, prepare to be searched, violence to have 0 tolerance and harassed for information whenever we see fit. But needless loss of innocent lives isn't really justified, and in doing so you can breed animosity with locals, creating even more enemies.

How would you feel if say... Italy declared war on Canada (hypothetical, stick with me here.) Now the US says, we'll take in Canadians as refugees. You may or may not agree with it, or even care about it, but next thing you know there's Italian forces bombing your neighborhood because the US is holding enemies of Italy. You personally did nothing wrong, why should you have to evacuate and lose everything you worked your life for? And now you probably have a deep hatred for Italy where none was before.

It may not be the perfect analogy but it gets the point across. You might take out the enemy quickly, but you also kill countless innocents and create enemies.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Yah, but that's a little heartless and not tactically sound. Some of the people there are innocent, its the government that's harboring them, not every guy on the block. Some locals even do everything they can do to help root out enemies. Innocent people don't deserve to be forced out of their homes, and have everything they own be destroyed in a bombing. Now I agree with more aggressive measures. If you live somewhere where your government is harboring enemies, prepare to be searched, violence to have 0 tolerance and harassed for information whenever we see fit. But needless loss of innocent lives isn't really justified, and in doing so you can breed animosity with locals, creating even more enemies.

How would you feel if say... Italy declared war on Canada (hypothetical, stick with me here.) Now the US says, we'll take in Canadians as refugees. You may or may not agree with it, or even care about it, but next thing you know there's Italian forces bombing your neighborhood because the US is holding enemies of Italy. You personally did nothing wrong, why should you have to evacuate and lose everything you worked your life for? And now you probably have a deep hatred for Italy where none was before.

It may not be the perfect analogy but it gets the point across. You might take out the enemy quickly, but you also kill countless innocents and create enemies.
You are making the the mistake of caring. People get the governments they deserve, by tollerating them. If my country let Canadian insurgents operate from its land then it deserves to be struck. Feelings have nothing to do with it. Why do you think the VC used Laos and Cambodia? Because those countries let them and the US would not (at first) go after them, why do you think the Taliban and Bin laden operated from Pakistan, because the government tollerated it and we wouldn't (at first) go after them.

The way you win wars is by destroying the enemies will to fight, if that means you have to kill them all (women and children included) that is what you do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are making the the mistake of caring. People get the governments they deserve, by tollerating them. If my country let Canadian insurgents operate from its land then it deserves to be struck. Feelings have nothing to do with it. Why do you think the VC used Laos and Cambodia? Because those countries let them and the US would not (at first) go after them, why do you think the Taliban and Bin laden operated from Pakistan, because the government tollerated it and we wouldn't (at first) go after them.

The way you win wars is by destroying the enemies will to fight, if that means you have to kill them all (women and children included) that is what you do.
If they are ruled by a dictator they might not want they government but it is forced by their military. And if they are poor and born into it there is nothing they can do to change this. This doesn't mean they should all be killed in blanket bombing. Invaded and taken over yes, but destroyed all together. Look at how the government is now, they are making choices you don't agree with, and someone may think, well they let their government do this, they deserve to be bombed. When you in fact might have been whole heartily against it.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
If they are ruled by a dictator they might not want they government but it is forced by their military. And if they are poor and born into it there is nothing they can do to change this. This doesn't mean they should all be killed in blanket bombing. Invaded and taken over yes, but destroyed all together. Look at how the government is now, they are making choices you don't agree with, and someone may think, well they let their government do this, they deserve to be bombed. When you in fact might have been whole heartily against it.
When an enemy kills your civilians they are opening themselves up for retaliation, they are not entitled to tell you how you should retaliate. If you have the capability to wipe out the entire civilization Gengus Kahn style you do so, the next guy won't be foolish enough to attack you. The reason our enemies attack us and our interests is because we are a paper tiger, we have the teeth but we dont have the stomach for war. We leave when our belly turns.

·
Registered
364 Posts
First of all, this thread started about ANA Soldiers killing American Troops.... This is not a Government action, this is individuals acting on their own! Unfortunately it is happening on both sides. American troops are being prosecuted for shooting Innocent civilians.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
First of all, this thread started about ANA Soldiers killing American Troops.... This is not a Government action, this is individuals acting on their own! Unfortunately it is happening on both sides. American troops are being prosecuted for shooting Innocent civilians.
This (green on Blue) happend about 4 times when I was there last year, it is very hard to tell who is going to turn on you and at what moment. Needless to say that they are not trusted at all which makes it really had to work with the ANSF.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When an enemy kills your civilians they are opening themselves up for retaliation, they are not entitled to tell you how you should retaliate. If you have the capability to wipe out the entire civilization Gengus Kahn style you do so, the next guy won't be foolish enough to attack you. The reason our enemies attack us and our interests is because we are a paper tiger, we have the teeth but we dont have the stomach for war. We leave when our belly turns.
What you're saying is if they kill our civilians we are clear to kill theirs. At that point both sides are taking out innocent people. And yah, they might be scared into not attacking us again. Or the next town, who was neutral or on our side till then, might take up arms and attack us, fearing they might be bombed next, so why not attack first. By that mentality during WWII we should have just kept bombing Europe like we did Japan. If we did that Europe would have felt the effects for years, not to mention the cost to rebuild. And unlike Japan, a lot of those countries were occupied, not enemy countries. Its the same thing there, they might be hiding in Afgan, or the corrupt government might be holding them, but the guy plowing his fields didn't do anything that deserves death and destruction of everything thing and everyone he knows. Now Europe plays a major roll in the world economy, without them the world would be very different. I'm just saying, the mass killing of innocent people has far reaching and long lasting effects.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
What you're saying is if they kill our civilians we are clear to kill theirs. At that point both sides are taking out innocent people..
War is supposed to be so horrible that no one ever wants to wage it and populations will pressure their governments to not wage war due to the horrors that it brings. That is the definition of total war. We don't do that anymore there for we will never decively win a war, and haven't since WWII. We did bomb civilian populations in Germany and Japan. I can see you have bought into the hearts and minds BS that we have been sold since Viet Nam. You and I will never see eye to eye on this since I don't buy that BS. Lets drop it here.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can see you have bought into the hearts and minds BS that we have been sold since Viet Nam. You and I will never see eye to eye on this since I don't buy that BS.
I didn't buy into anything, sitting back and coming to reasonable conclusions is all I did. You're thinking every country is like America were people can effect choices made by the government, I feel like you don't understand how a dictatorship works. The guy in charge does what he wants, and doesn't care what happens to his people. But I agree, we won't see eye to eye. In this kind of war were its an eye for an eye, the whole world goes blind. I don't care if they hate us, hell if they do you know we're doing it right, but you can still be aggressive and dominate, which I'm all for, without having to decimate entire peoples. The "Kill 'em all!" mentality is nothing but blind aggression with the lack of any foresight.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
. But I agree, we won't see eye to eye. The "Kill 'em all!" mentality is nothing but blind aggression with the lack of any foresight.
when you come back from that ****hole of a country tell me if you still feel that way.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts