New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
say somebody from Maryland was up in upstate NY on vacation, are they allowed to purchase long rifles? AR's and the like? Got a buddy up that wants to pick up ar AR before he goes home.thanks for the info guys.

·
MSG
469 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told as long as it is legal where you are and where you live.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is this where the ajoining state boarders law comes into play? If they don't boarder NY, I would agree with Bill a FFL is needed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told as long as it is legal where you are and where you live.
this is what i was always told, I know the whole NY / contiguous state thing.. but i think he's in the clear being from MD. and were not worried about transportation here, just the actual sale.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
An out of state resident can buy a long gun from an FFL as long as the gun is legal in both where you buy it and where you live. Many dealers will not sell to you though.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
Jeff's right, here a quote from the ATF site.

" A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes."

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
money burns holes in his pockets and he's staying with me for awhile, and we found a guy selling a LARUE 7.62 OBR and he wants it real bad. haha so do I, its flipping sweet man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts