New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just turned 17 and for his birthday I told him that he could buy the parts to build his own AR15. He was originally going to try to build it himself, but he realized that there are a lot of tools that he does not have does not have the money to buy. Now he wants to bring the parts to a gunsmith and have learn how to assemble an AR15 so he can learn from a professional and so he does not have to wait another couple months to get enough money to buy the tools. My question is will it be OK/legal for him to drive the parts out to a gunsmith and drive back home with an assembled AR15 (that is complaint with all state laws)? He is 17 and has his senior license and has no record for bad driving or anything else. He also has a hunter's safety permit if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm not even entirely sure your son could buy most of the parts. But I do know he can't buy the lower receiver since you need to be 21 to buy one in NY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a clarification, it will be "his" gun but I will actually own it. It will go in my safe (to which only I know the combination). He is purchasing the parts with the money that I gave him and the only part that I have had to pick up for him was the lower receiver (which to the best of my knowledge is the actual "gun" and the only regulated part).

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The only problem he may have is actually leaving the Gunsmith's place with the gun, you may have to be there to take it out of the place of business.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
I'm not 100% sure of the law here, but it seems like it SHOULD be completely ok to me, seeing as you can hunt with a rifle when you turn 12, right?
and you can drive when your 16, so with the both of those licenses, i can't imagine nys not allowing this.

then again, this is nys haha

i remember riding my bike to hunt squirrels with my pump 22 slung across my back. even at 13 years old. never remember anyone giving me a hard time. but then again, things were different back then i guess.

·
1,647 Posts
ok, so i looked at the dec website, and though it's off topic, they can hunt when they are 12 years old while accompanied by an adult.
but still, he's over 16. seems gtg to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The gunsmith says he is not going to charge. I'm still going to make my son give him something for his time. For my son to buy all of the tools would be 200+ bucks and I doubt 2-3 hours with a gunsmith would run that much. Also he does not really know what he is doing and I just don't want to see this go down the drain.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Believe NYS law generally prohibits persons under age 16 to possess a rifle, air gun, pellet gun or "dangerous" knife. There are exceptions for hunting and target shooting for those between 12 and 16 under certain conditions. See NY penal code 265.05. This also assumes you're not in NYC and he has no prior convictions. Believe he is good to go. Not sure if gunsmith will release as raised by another post above. Good luck. Oh, obviously make sure he transports unloaded.

·
1,647 Posts
YEP, cgrutt is right, i just looked it up:
S 265.05 Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under sixteen.

i must have been breaking the law as a 13 year old haha.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You'n me both.
Used to walk down to shoot at the RR tracks (try that **** now and see what happens) 3~4 blocks away with a 10/22 on my back starting when I was 12 and ending around the time I discovered teen boobies.
Even got a ride down there one day from a local cop who was passing by.
Not even the guys with the pirvate planes next door gave a crap about a kid with a gun on RR tracks near an airfield LOL

Hoplophobia does terrible things to society, don't it....

·
Registered
369 Posts
nice to see the kid want some advice and training from a pro.
surprised that he didn't search youtube and attempt it himself.
Kudo's to the gunsmith for taking him under his wing, maybe the sorcerer needs a apprentice

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'm in upper Westchester and have all the tools. If you want to turn this into a father and son project send me a pm and I will loan you mine!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You'n me both.
Used to walk down to shoot at the RR tracks (try that **** now and see what happens) 3~4 blocks away with a 10/22 on my back starting when I was 12 and ending around the time I discovered teen boobies.
Even got a ride down there one day from a local cop who was passing by.
Not even the guys with the pirvate planes next door gave a crap about a kid with a gun on RR tracks near an airfield LOL

Hoplophobia does terrible things to society, don't it....
During turkey season I walked from my hunting spot to my parents' house down the side of the road with my shotgun. About 1/2 mile or so. Nobody cared. Depends where you live.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Depends where you live.
This is definitely true. When walking from my car to my house (in Rochester) I get concerned stares from the neighbors. If you go to where I grew up, it was weird to see an adult man during deer season without his firearm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is definitely true. When walking from my car to my house (in Rochester) I get concerned stares from the neighbors. If you go to where I grew up, it was weird to see an adult man during deer season without his firearm.
Off topic... I was reading an article from a UK firearm owner and he mentioned that public attitudes changed in the 80's, so gun owners would do things like run their weapons into the trunks of their cars before dawn, or load their cars in their garages because they didn't want their neighbors to think poorly of them, or gossip, or even call the cops in a hysterical fit. Or they'd go hunting wearing a jacket and tie, and change in the field for the same reasons. He thought that led to the eventual confiscation of weapons in that country, because social attitudes relegated people to the fringe if they wanted to own a firearm, and they started acting shamefully and secretly as if they had something to hide.

So he recommended that people do exactly that ^^^^

Let your neighbors see you, engage them cheerfully and let them know that good honest people love shooting high powered firearms. Be an ambassador to the 2nd amendment every day... and if you're in the right, don't let ANYONE spook out and tell you to put that thing away.

Keith

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
amen to that entire statement

where i live walking into my driveway with a rifle case gets stares from all the people who live around me, even the ones who know and respect me. its a crummy city here i guess
at the same time up at deer and bear camp im the only male without a pistol on my hip all day

times change, places change, attitudes change.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I had to walk past a church where a first communion was letting out and everyone was standing out front too. Nobody gave me a second look.

·
1,647 Posts
this is a complete thread derailment, but i'm careful not to be carrying obvious firearms out to my truck when random passerby's are out in the streets too.
i'm in a neighborhood where i just don't want random people to know i have firearms, because I don't want them breaking in to steal them!
not because i'm ashamed or don't want to have that conversation with my neighbors.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
this is a complete thread derailment, but i'm careful not to be carrying obvious firearms out to my truck when random passerby's are out in the streets too.
i'm in a neighborhood where i just don't want random people to know i have firearms, because I don't want them breaking in to steal them!
not because i'm ashamed or don't want to have that conversation with my neighbors.
Well I see you have a pistol there so congratulations, you are on the easily accessible list of NYS pistol permit owners available on the Internet. Welcome to NY. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts