New York Firearms Forum banner

Can i keep my NY pistol permit

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Hickok 
#1 ·
I have a NY pistol permit but I am moving to New Jersey and eventually soon have to register my car an get NJ license, i dont want to lose my NY pistol permit so what should i do? My parents live in NY still an I still get mail at there place.

#5 ·
Depending on what county is your issuing authority. They might allow you to hold it. Otherwise, I’d keep the D.L. license, and registration in NY. They’ll run your license when renewing, and see the address change. If you didn’t inform them of a address change, it can be used for grounds to revoke your handgun license. My county already states your license is to be surrendered upon moving to another state. Thus, meaning they won’t allow you a license with multiple addresses. Even though it was ruled in the court’s already. Tyrants of NY! Trample everyones rights daily. I’d call your issuing authority up, ask them about two living addresses. If your in lower part of NY, most likely they won’t allow it.

#8 ·
1) The law says that residents may apply for a pistol permit. It is absolutely silent on whether or not non-residents may possess a permit - which means it is perfectly legal. There are dozens of entries in the pistol permit database of people with non-NY addresses.

2) The law states that a person must inform the "executive department, division of state police, Albany" of any change of address. Informing your county/licensing officer is not a legal requirement.

Notification of any change of residence shall be made in writing by any
licensee within ten days after such change occurs, and a record of such
change shall be inscribed by such licensee on the reverse side of his or
her license. Elsewhere than in the city of New York, and in the counties
of Nassau and Suffolk, such notification shall be made to the executive
department, division of state police, Albany, and in the city of New
York to the police commissioner of that city, and in the county of
Nassau to the police commissioner of that county, and in the county of
Suffolk to the licensing officer of that county, who shall, within ten
days after such notification shall be received by him or her, give
notice in writing of such change to the executive department, division
of state police, at Albany.
If your licensing officer/county does not support you keeping your license after moving out of state, my recommendation is to not bother telling them. Rather, follow the law and inform the state police.

#10 ·
1) The law says that residents may apply for a pistol permit. It is absolutely silent on whether or not non-residents may possess a permit - which means it is perfectly legal. There are dozens of entries in the pistol permit database of people with non-NY addresses.

2) The law states that a person must inform the "executive department, division of state police, Albany" of any change of address. Informing your county/licensing officer is not a legal requirement.

If your licensing officer/county does not support you keeping your license after moving out of state, my recommendation is to not bother telling them. Rather, follow the law and inform the state police.
Suffolk county states in there book, that they will cancel your license upon moving out of state. Moving within the state, they’ll forward your file to that jurisdiction. Which could, also mean you’d have to reapply, in that particular county. Some counties will hold a person’s file for them to keep their license.

Three types of licenses for a handgun. Carry,Premise, Business, problem is they allow these counties to place administration restriction. Though I’ve yet to hear of a person arrested for carrying out of class. I was told by the state police you could be. I’ve yet to see the statue in the NY penal code 400. section. If this is located somewhere else, I’d like to see it.

#15 ·
Get a NY DMV non-driver ID card, using your parents address. My buddy uses non-driver ID (Niagara County) for his Pistol Permit and SAFE Act requirements (Erie County).
Google ny non driver id
You should have no trouble.
This I have a NJ DL and A NY Non DL. Got the Non DL on the advice of the judge who issued my permit. You just need to use your parents address on the non DL then you are a dual resident of both states.

#14 ·
Contact your county in NY and ask if you can keep your permit with an out-of-state address, and their process to do so. They may or may not allow it. If they don't allow it, you might have a friend in another county that does allow it where you could take up "residence" and switch your permit to that county before changing your address to NJ. I was able to move out of NY and my county allowed me to keep my permit and update it to an out-of-state address.

I'd also recommend, that if your father's guns are not already on your permit, you have them added now before anything happens to him. The process of taking possession of them in the middle of dealing with whatever you may have to deal with regarding your father and living in NJ, the police could end up taking the guns, maybe losing them, whatever, it'll just be easier to have them on both of your permits now rather than trying to deal with transferring them later.

Also, get your NJ permit ASAP, if that's even possible, I have no experience with that.

#20 ·
Depending on which County, when you re-certify with the troopers. You will have to photocopy your home state Drivers License and mail it to them. Some Counties have allowed people to keep their pistol license when moving out of New York. I have seen a guy with a Delaware County pistol license with a Nassau County Address. Nothing illegal under the law. In fact, if you move to a different county in New York. If they tell you it must be transferred to the new residence. The DCJS has a memo that states the licensee may keep their pistol license and change to the new address in New York.

#26 ·
Quick situation, my uncle left NY for PA maybe a decade ago, he never turned in his NY CCW, I say, he's still good to go in NY, he thinks hes not. Im convinced he is.
Thoughts?
The Safe Act changed Lifetime Pistol License to be re-certified. Any non resident who has a NY Lifetime Pistol License must print the home state address and show the County Issued License with the Out Of State Address.
If you did not re-certify online or notified the county clerk about the address change as required, it could become a huge debacle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.