New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NY pistol permit but I am moving to New Jersey and eventually soon have to register my car an get NJ license, i dont want to lose my NY pistol permit so what should i do? My parents live in NY still an I still get mail at there place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a NY pistol permit but I am moving to New Jersey and eventually soon have to register my car an get NJ license, i dont want to lose my NY pistol permit so what should i do? My parents live in NY still an I still get mail at there place.
Depending on what county is your issuing authority. They might allow you to hold it. Otherwise, I’d keep the D.L. license, and registration in NY. They’ll run your license when renewing, and see the address change. If you didn’t inform them of a address change, it can be used for grounds to revoke your handgun license. My county already states your license is to be surrendered upon moving to another state. Thus, meaning they won’t allow you a license with multiple addresses. Even though it was ruled in the court’s already. Tyrants of NY! Trample everyones rights daily. I’d call your issuing authority up, ask them about two living addresses. If your in lower part of NY, most likely they won’t allow it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I moved to PA last year.. I never surrendered my permit..I plan on doing the whole NY recertification bullshit, so in theory it should still be valod
Your already in violation of the terms, and conditions of your NY handgun license. Good luck on that recertification, unless your in a county that allows it. The law was meant for people with two residencies.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
1) The law says that residents may apply for a pistol permit. It is absolutely silent on whether or not non-residents may possess a permit - which means it is perfectly legal. There are dozens of entries in the pistol permit database of people with non-NY addresses.

2) The law states that a person must inform the "executive department, division of state police, Albany" of any change of address. Informing your county/licensing officer is not a legal requirement.

Notification of any change of residence shall be made in writing by any
licensee within ten days after such change occurs, and a record of such
change shall be inscribed by such licensee on the reverse side of his or
her license. Elsewhere than in the city of New York, and in the counties
of Nassau and Suffolk, such notification shall be made to the executive
department, division of state police, Albany, and in the city of New
York to the police commissioner of that city, and in the county of
Nassau to the police commissioner of that county, and in the county of
Suffolk to the licensing officer of that county, who shall, within ten
days after such notification shall be received by him or her, give
notice in writing of such change to the executive department, division
of state police, at Albany.
If your licensing officer/county does not support you keeping your license after moving out of state, my recommendation is to not bother telling them. Rather, follow the law and inform the state police.

Reactions: Jared

·
Registered
16 Posts
You gonna rat on me?

Mind your business of your gonna comply with unconstitutional edicts
Than don’t post your business on a open forum.

I never said anything, about reporting anything, couldn’t give two tick tirds about your license. So get over yourself!

I don’t agree with any of the NY tyrants, there nonsense here even effects license/ permits in other state. Like PA! Sheriffs that won’t issue to people with administrative restriction of sportsman on their license. At least Centre county sheriff will.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1) The law says that residents may apply for a pistol permit. It is absolutely silent on whether or not non-residents may possess a permit - which means it is perfectly legal. There are dozens of entries in the pistol permit database of people with non-NY addresses.

2) The law states that a person must inform the "executive department, division of state police, Albany" of any change of address. Informing your county/licensing officer is not a legal requirement.

If your licensing officer/county does not support you keeping your license after moving out of state, my recommendation is to not bother telling them. Rather, follow the law and inform the state police.
Suffolk county states in there book, that they will cancel your license upon moving out of state. Moving within the state, they’ll forward your file to that jurisdiction. Which could, also mean you’d have to reapply, in that particular county. Some counties will hold a person’s file for them to keep their license.

Three types of licenses for a handgun. Carry,Premise, Business, problem is they allow these counties to place administration restriction. Though I’ve yet to hear of a person arrested for carrying out of class. I was told by the state police you could be. I’ve yet to see the statue in the NY penal code 400. section. If this is located somewhere else, I’d like to see it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Get a NY DMV non-driver ID card, using your parents address. My buddy uses non-driver ID (Niagara County) for his Pistol Permit and SAFE Act requirements (Erie County).
Google ny non driver id
You should have no trouble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Suffolk county states in there book, that they will cancel your license upon moving out of state. Moving within the state, they’ll forward your file to that jurisdiction. Which could, also mean you’d have to reapply, in that particular county. Some counties will hold a person’s file for them to keep their license.

Three types of licenses for a handgun. Carry,Premise, Business, problem is they allow these counties to place administration restriction. Though I’ve yet to hear of a person arrested for carrying out of class. I was told by the state police you could be. I’ve yet to see the statue in the NY penal code 400. section. If this is located somewhere else, I’d like to see it.
I was once found to be “out of class”, which is a bunch of unconstitutional nonsense, and I ended up “surrendering” my permit. There’s no criminal charges associated with that. NY State laws don’t even mention the restrictions that some counties place on permits- they are administrative regulations they place on permit holders.

Thankfully, I left NY and now live in the Midwest, which is heaven. Constitutional carry, NFA items “allowed” including FA and supresssors. Even the local indoor range allows drawing from the holster and firing, shooting rifles indoors and rapid fire- as fast as you can safely shoot. The only “rules”? Be an adult, not a fool. Being treated like a free, adult human being is truly amazing.

I miss the food in New York, my daughter, my brother and some friends. Not much else

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Suffolk county states in there book, that they will cancel your license upon moving out of state.
Sure. So I would recommend that soon-to-be-ex-residents of Suffolk county follow the process defined by law, instead of the extra-legal process (meaning, not proscribed by law, but also not prohibited) counties decided to implement.

Though I’ve yet to hear of a person arrested for carrying out of class. I was told by the state police you could be. I’ve yet to see the statue in the NY penal code 400. section. If this is located somewhere else, I’d like to see it.
The troopers you spoke to are mostly full of shit. A person may only be lawfully arrested for violating the law. Carrying outside of restrictions is not a crime, or even a violation.

However, a person can be unlawfully arrested for anything. That's the only grain of truth that came from the troopers you spoke to: they could arrest you for carrying outside of restrictions, just like they could arrest you for being white on a Friday night. But neither arrest would be legal.

Reactions: Vicarious

·
Registered
8 Posts
Contact your county in NY and ask if you can keep your permit with an out-of-state address, and their process to do so. They may or may not allow it. If they don't allow it, you might have a friend in another county that does allow it where you could take up "residence" and switch your permit to that county before changing your address to NJ. I was able to move out of NY and my county allowed me to keep my permit and update it to an out-of-state address.

I'd also recommend, that if your father's guns are not already on your permit, you have them added now before anything happens to him. The process of taking possession of them in the middle of dealing with whatever you may have to deal with regarding your father and living in NJ, the police could end up taking the guns, maybe losing them, whatever, it'll just be easier to have them on both of your permits now rather than trying to deal with transferring them later.

Also, get your NJ permit ASAP, if that's even possible, I have no experience with that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Get a NY DMV non-driver ID card, using your parents address. My buddy uses non-driver ID (Niagara County) for his Pistol Permit and SAFE Act requirements (Erie County).
Google ny non driver id
You should have no trouble.
This I have a NJ DL and A NY Non DL. Got the Non DL on the advice of the judge who issued my permit. You just need to use your parents address on the non DL then you are a dual resident of both states.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sure. So I would recommend that soon-to-be-ex-residents of Suffolk county follow the process defined by law, instead of the extra-legal process (meaning, not proscribed by law, but also not prohibited) counties decided to implement.

The troopers you spoke to are mostly full of shit. A person may only be lawfully arrested for violating the law. Carrying outside of restrictions is not a crime, or even a violation.

However, a person can be unlawfully arrested for anything. That's the only grain of truth that came from the troopers you spoke to: they could arrest you for carrying outside of restrictions, just like they could arrest you for being white on a Friday night. But neither arrest would be legal.
The bottom line is, they know the average person. Doesn’t have the money, to get a lawyer involved. They have forced people to surrender firearm(s), over peoples kids saying stuff. Even though firearms were in a safe. Yes! I’m of track here. Suffolk looks to yank, licenses for littlest things. You bet! There a bunch of tyrannical thugs. I’d like to transfer my license to a friendlier county in western NY. As stated earlier, some counties let people hold onto them. The nonsense the downstate counties play to get a license is unacceptable. People of Suffolk were waiting 18mnths to receive a license. A individual should be able to turn in the state application themselves to NYS police. Not letting counties dictate when that gets done.They tell Suffolk residents, that application process begins after the interview, not when it’s dropped off. They have no issue taking the check right away, and submitting it for payment. While you wait holding your junk In hand. As far as the restrictions, I’m aware of it not being a chargeable offense, this is the crap 💩 they tell people. Unfortunately, they’ll never force counties, to be all on the same standardization. I’m sure we can all agree, that anyone that carries a NYS pistol license. Should be able to keep it even upon changing residence status.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Super informative, I was not aware that this was the case. Thanks for posting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts