New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking of getting a Troy battle stock, or something similar as I want a little storage.

Troy Battle Ax CQB Stock

Problem is they are collapsable, like every stock I want,
Since I dont really have any interest in going to jail, I want to keep my gun NY legal which means I cant have a collapsable stock as I have a pistol grip already.

My question is, can I put a collapsable stock on and then drill a little hole and run a pin (or whatever its called) through it to make it fixed and keep my gun legal?

Any info anyone has on the subject would be appreciated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do it on a drill press and you don't need to take anything apart.then use a roll pin and your done. that way if some day you can have a colapsible stock in this state all you have to do is punch it out!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I know a lot of people on here may disagree with me but as an added measure I epoxy my collapsable stocks in addition to pinning leaving no doubt the collapsable feature has been permanently disabled. If you pin it before you attach it to your lower receiver there is no issue with pistol grip or upper attached (assuming of course the upper is ban compliant as well). Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Pin it. Black epoxy over the hole. Try and not put a drill hole all the ways through. Only needs to go in so far. It's more secure this way, less chance it vibrating out.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
So after thinking about this for several weeks I decided to give it a try so I can go shoot. I had bought a pin, not a roll pin, but one that will contract though a smaller hole. I decided to remove the spring loaded lever and assembly and was able to remove everything without losing or breaking anything. I determined that I could insert a larger diameter pin of some sort in through the hole on top of the adjustable part of the stock where the adjustable lever pin came out of. So I went and bought another one of the type of pin I had, larger diameter but they only had 2" which I could have cut. But I also bought a 1" aluminum "spacer" I think he called it, probably 3/8 diameter? It fit snugly in the hole the adjustable pin came out of. I guided it into the original hole and was hoping that all I would have to do was push it back up after I slid the stock back on but it was protuding towards the tube a little too much. I had the option of cutting the pin 3/16" or drilling out the bottom part of where the adjustable pin lever connected. Since I had a hacksaw blade but would have had to go to my storage unit to get the hacksaw itself I decided to drill through the bottom the same diameter as the pin (slightly smaller). Anyway, I slid the pin in through the bottom, it was flush at this time. I slid the stock back on, used a srewdriver to push it in the extra 3/16 and it is nice and snug. I don't even see why I would need to cover the hole, do you? It's underneath and you can't get the aluminum piece out without a screw out kind of tool. LMK your thoughts. Sorry, no pics. And if you had a grinder you could easily gring off tat little bit and not have to drill but either way you still have to drill to get the pin out. Not that I will ever take it out. It's adjusted to where I need it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds good, but will they even sell you a collapsable stock, and is that all you would need, just the stock? And would you be able to use the stock buffer tube? and what is the difference between mil-spec and Commercial buffer tube? i have an M&P15 and would love a magpul style stock.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
sounds good, but will they even sell you a collapsable stock, and is that all you would need, just the stock? And would you be able to use the stock buffer tube? and what is the difference between mil-spec and Commercial buffer tube? i have an M&P15 and would love a magpul style stock.
As far as I am aware, it's illegal when attached to an upper if not pinned, but not if it is not attached? I bought it on Gunbroker and had it shipped to a local FFL, been sitting on it for a good month, and FYI, shooting high right but consistant

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Just order online and have it shipped directly to you. You can also buy them from most gun shops. Parts are not illegal. It's having it assembled which makes it illegal. I can have an AR in pieces and it is legal. Once I put it together is when it's illegal. (if it's a non pinned/welded brake/stock)

Commercial vs Mil spec is a matter of diameter and what type of aluminum they use. Also easy way to tell without measuring is looking at the back. If the back is angled it is a commercial if it's flat it's mil spec.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts