New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be wrong but as I understand the AWB laws here in NY, I can not buy and install a Ruger factory folding stock on a common pre-ban 183-series Mini-14 chassis (that's semi-auto with a removable magazine) if the rifle has spent it's life in a standard fixed stock... that it could be considered manufacturing an assault rifle, that the Mini-14 must have been configured with the folding stock before the Fed AWB was enacted?

-Thank you !!

· Registered
1,176 Posts
if it's pre-ban you can put a folding stock on it. evil features are allowed on rifles made prior to 1994. but i hope you're ready to pay almost as much for that factory folding stock as you did for the rifle! i was watching them on gunbroker for a couple months and gave up because i couldn't justify what they were getting for them. the A-team was cool and all, but i'll put my $400 towards something more useful.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Okay, not to hi-jack this thread but in the same vein, different rifle. I've got a 1942 GI M1 carbine with the standard full stock. using the information above, I can put a folding stock on it correct? this would be a current manufacture aftermarket repro folder If so, how come no one will ship a folding stock to NYS?

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Okay, not to hi-jack this thread but in the same vein, different rifle. I've got a 1942 GI M1 carbine with the standard full stock. using the information above, I can put a folding stock on it correct? this would be a current manufacture aftermarket repro folder If so, how come no one will ship a folding stock to NYS?
Because they are too dumb to learn the laws?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
No one will ship it to NY to avoid anyone putting it on a post ban gun and trying to hold the company liable, your M1 Carbine is a preban rifle, I also have a Universal, it was a 70s reproduction, that too is a preban rifle, to my knowledge you cannot buy an M1 Carbine made after '94 because they stopped making them in the late 70s.

As for the OP, any rifle with a date stamp on the receiver is exempt from all the stupid AWB laws, with ARs it is the date on the lower assembly, keep in mind that some rifles have an import serial number on them on top of the manufacture date, if the rifle was made in the 80s but imported and made into a "US" rifle AFTER '94, it is not preban, this is usually the case with AK47 clones like the WASRs.

So both of you guys have American manufactured (which means no import date worries) pre-1994 rifles, you guys can put whatever the heck you want on them. Keep in mind that a magazine for either rifle is considered a totally separate part and that owning a post ban magazine with a higher capacity of more then 10 rounds is a totally different issue and a different crime, the "high capacity" magazine law has nothing to do with the manufacture date of the rifle it is used in, keep that in mind.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Thanks. they actually pay people to dream this shat up, eh?
They sure do, I think this state conspires to try and make law abiding citizens screw up one of these backwards laws and make revenue fining them. Any other questions do not be afraid to ask people on here, it has been asked before in other threads but if you can't find the other threads in the search feature up top, we would rather you ask then end up in jail.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the rifle would have to have been configured as an "assault rifle" before the ban took place. It'd need the three evil features required. I know they come with flash hiders and detachable mags from the factory, so just make sure it has the bayonet lug on it as well and then you're good to go 100%. Not many people know this, but if a manufacturer made, say an AR lower before the ban took place and it was not assembled as a rifle before the ban, then the receiver is still technically not pre-ban.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the rifle would have to have been configured as an "assault rifle" before the ban took place. It'd need the three evil features required. I know they come with flash hiders and detachable mags from the factory, so just make sure it has the bayonet lug on it as well and then you're good to go 100%. Not many people know this, but if a manufacturer made, say an AR lower before the ban took place and it was not assembled as a rifle before the ban, then the receiver is still technically not pre-ban.
I did not know this, M1's may in fact not be folding stock applicable then?

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I disagree. I'm sure this is going to have people coming from both sides to say both viewpoints as well. This has come up before, but where is the law saying it had to be an Evil Rifle before?

· Registered
11,402 Posts
It is impossible to know how the rifle was configured before the ban. might have been another folder even before the fix stock and noone can tell.
Some could have 7 stocks before the ban one for every day of the week.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
It is impossible to know how the rifle was configured before the ban. might have been another folder even before the fix stock and noone can tell.
Some could have 7 stocks before the ban one for every day of the week.
Exactly.

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Id like to see them prove that a receiver was not assembled before the ban... their is no way they could do it

· Registered
5,312 Posts
Id like to see them prove that a receiver was not assembled before the ban... their is no way they could do it
This is not entirely true. Some manufacturers, like Colt or Springfield Armory, can tell you what the configuration of the rifle was when it left the factory.

Here is an interesting read on the topic from Olympi Arms...

Is my Olympic Arms firearm a Pre-Ban?

· Registered
5,426 Posts
This is not entirely true. Some manufacturers, like Colt or Springfield Armory, can tell you what the configuration of the rifle was when it left the factory.

Here is an interesting read on the topic from Olympi Arms...

Is my Olympic Arms firearm a Pre-Ban?
They could tell u how it left the factory in say 1992 as just a lower, but they cannot account for weather or not it was put into a rifle in those 2 years til 1994

· Registered
5,312 Posts
They could tell u how it left the factory in say 1992 as just a lower, but they cannot account for weather or not it was put into a rifle in those 2 years til 1994
Playing devil's advocate, whose responsibility is it to prove it was "evily" configured prior to 9/13/94?

· Registered
664 Posts
I get what your saying on this but does it matter how it left the factory. It would be hard to say what was done with it after unless there was a paper trail somewhere. If you bought 2 lowers in 88 built one and put the other away and then changed the parts from one to the other after the ban, there by making the one just built an illegal post ban build how could anyone know that.
I really don't get that part of the law. I would think anything dated pre ban would be vary hard to prove otherwise.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Playing devil's advocate, whose responsibility is it to prove it was "evily" configured prior to 9/13/94?
By the word of the law it is the prosecutions responsibility to prove anyone guilty or they are innocent. Innocent until proven guilty, it is your right.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.