New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am being kicked out of my current home and I am looking into moving in with my father temporarily until i can build my house on my land. The problem is that he was a gun enthusiast and apparently the FBI and ATF didn't like the fact that he owned more assault rifles and ammo then they did (all guns were legal) and they brought him down on bogus felony charges about 7 years ago. I own my own AR 15 that I bought brand new... can I live there with him as long as i keep my room/apartment area of the house under my lock and key? I am willing to put a deadbolt on my room that only i have keys to. My father will not ever have access to my rifle (I carry it on my shoulder EVERYWHERE all the time). P.S. I do not believe in a gun safe.... If i have to get to my rifle I wouldn't be safe but my gun would.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It's a rifle, how would they know? There is no legal requirement to inform anyone of anything with a rifle. Although I am curious as to you carrying it on your shoulder everywhere all the time. You get hassled much over that?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rifle, how would they know? There is no legal requirement to inform anyone of anything with a rifle. Although I am curious as to you carrying it on your shoulder everywhere all the time. You get hassled much over that?
I am more interested in the legality of my me having a fire arm in general while living with my father. and about carrying... no i abide by the laws and no one bothers me. The chamber is open, the mag is out and it is no way concealed.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
One thing I can think of that may come into play is if your father is on parole? If he is on parole then one of the conditions of his early release could not to be in possession or anywhere where firearms are present.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I am more interested in the legality of my me having a fire arm in general while living with my father.
If this is truly the case then you will engage a lawyer for an opinion, not public internet forums. I am sure your father knows several Law enforcement types that would be willing to issue an opinion.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
A lawyer should field this question....

JVG...let's not get THAT started again

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
A lawyer should field this question....

JVG...let's not get THAT started again
There is no substitute for a lawyer but I think usmcveteran hit the nail right on the head. I know he is very knowledgeable about all the laws.
Still I am always concerned if it is to the best interest to the op to bring 'the full deal' up to a counsel.

If I am in the field hunting I would expect people carrying a long rifle of shotgun but, myself,I like transporter, we will be in the lookout for anyone with
an AR15 strapped to the shoulder while shopping at wegmans. lol !!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
So you get groceries with an AR slung over your shoulder? Lots of hostile take overs in Wegmans I guess...
Your argument applies equally to those who carry handguns around. Kinda sounds like something Bloomberg would say.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Your argument applies equally to those who carry handguns around. Kinda sounds like something Bloomberg would say.
I didn't get it like this but I know what you mean. I think he means not waiving / showing off taliban village style. We are a bit more civilized than that.
Bloomberg should be brought to justice for crimes against the citizens and US constitution the way I see it.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
His definition of everywhere is probably his fenced in back yard in the middle of suburbia at 1am in the morning as he marches back and forth in his underwear.
Strangely, I don't think you're too far off.

·
Banned
478 Posts
I didn't get it like this but I know what you mean. I think he means not waiving / showing off taliban village style. We are a bit more civilized than that.
Bloomberg should be brought to justice for crimes against the citizens and US constitution the way I see it.
Indeed, CC all you want, but carrying around a rifle is a little rediculous. If you need a rifle to reach your aggressor you should be running away not shooting.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You should loosen up the tinfoil, I think it's cutting off the circulation to your brain.

Do you live in afghanistan or something?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Let me clarify... I do not agree with anyone carrying a rifle around unless they are hunting. Also any pistols open carry unless they are hunting. There is no need for neither of that unless you are in a village somewhere in afganistan or some special place and special circumstances.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am being kicked out of my current home and I am looking into moving in with my father temporarily until i can build my house on my land. The problem is that he was a gun enthusiast and apparently the FBI and ATF didn't like the fact that he owned more assault rifles and ammo then they did (all guns were legal) and they brought him down on bogus felony charges about 7 years ago. I own my own AR 15 that I bought brand new... can I live there with him as long as i keep my room/apartment area of the house under my lock and key? I am willing to put a deadbolt on my room that only i have keys to. My father will not ever have access to my rifle (I carry it on my shoulder EVERYWHERE all the time). P.S. I do not believe in a gun safe.... If i have to get to my rifle I wouldn't be safe but my gun would.
1. It is not illegal to own more legal firearms and ammo than anyone else, so I'm calling BS on your story until you provide some documentation to the charges brought against him. Feel free to black out detailed info... the other option is you either aren't telling the full story, or you don't know teh full story.

2. It's up to what was handed down as punishment. Is he on parole or probation? If so, he needs to ask his PO if he can have his son living with him with a gun in the house, not you on the internet

3. If he free and clear and did his time, etc, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about, but again, this is just my opinion, not law or fact

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Let me clarify... I do not agree with anyone carrying a rifle around unless they are hunting. Also any pistols open carry unless they are hunting. There is no need for neither of that unless you are in a village somewhere in afganistan or some special place and special circumstances.
What "need" are you speaking of, exactly, and how/why does that same "need" not apply to civilians in the states?

Also, consider that there are a significant number of people who feel that you don't "need" to carry a pistol at all, or that you don't "need" to own a gun of any sort, under any circumstance... given that, do you think it's a good idea to base gun control on perceived needs or a lack thereof?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.