New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't hunt. I have no safety course or license but my brother has it all. So if he's out there hunting with his gun and I'm just filming it all can I do that? Be on hunting grounds with him and his rifle while he is actively hunting? I touch no gun. I kill nothing. Just filming.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
You cannot take part in any action which assists in the taking of game. That includes putting on a drive, using game calls, assisting in the spotting of game with optics, etc. So anything you may do to help him would qualify as hunting.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
You cannot take part in any action which assists in the taking of game. That includes putting on a drive, using game calls, assisting in the spotting of game with optics, etc. So anything you may do to help him would qualify as hunting.
This. Technically pointing to an animal and notifying him it is there is illegal. Like Ragnar said, you can't do ANYTHING to assist in the taking of an animal. Simply holding a camera and filming is OK though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just a suggestion. Take the hunter safty course. That way you don't have to worry about being hassled by a game warden having a bad day. Plus it's free and if you end up enjoying it and your brother gets something you can switch.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
As lame as it is,they are right......Take a safety course so a DEC officer doesn't jack you up........Those DEC fines are pretty hefty I have been told...!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It would be a little difficult to prove he was aiding in the taking of game unless he was actually seen doing so by a DEC officer.
Most of the officers that I have encountered over the years have been decent enough guys. If,in the event that you encounter an officer in the field a simple explanation of what you were doing is usually all that is needed. Now, if you give him reason to suspect something other than picture taking was going on then he will certainly question you further.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I'm not a hunter either (yet, but I find myself getting closer as time goes by) but am 100% for taking the hunting course and buying the license. Win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. No hassles by DEC and help support the sport.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Just taking the course doesn't do anything for him. If he is going to participate (or be accused of participating) he will need a license.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just taking the course doesn't do anything for him. If he is going to participate (or be accused of participating) he will need a license.
A++

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Not having a license should not stop you at all from going out and sitting with your buddy.

This type of thing is encouraged, how else do you attract new people to the sport? They shouldn't have to pay all that money to decided if it's something they want to participate in. Usually you see this more targeted with youth but age shouldn't matter. I would think any DEC officer you encounter (slim to none chance) would understand as long as you are packing a camera instead of a 12ga.

Wear your orange, be courteous, be respectful, and buy the 1st round of beers.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
from the DEC website:

Frequently Asked Questions About Hunting - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Frequently Asked Questions About Hunting

Below are answers to a number of questions frequently asked by New York hunters. Use the links in the right margin to jump to specific topics.
Accompanying

Q: Can I take my young child (or an unlicensed person) with me while I am deer hunting?
A: Yes, and we highly recommend it! Just make sure the child (or unlicensed person) is not hunting or assisting in any aspect of the hunt (like driving deer). Bring an extra pair of binoculars and plenty of snacks. Have a good time!

Law Enforcement FAQs - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Question: May a young child or other person without a hunting license accompany me while I am hunting?
Answer:
With restrictions, yes. The child or unlicensed person cannot take part in any aspect of the hunt, including calling, driving/scaring game or possessing a firearm.

Question: My son is fourteen years old and has a small game hunting license. May he accompany me in the woods while I am hunting big game?
Answer:
As long as he does not actively participate in the big game hunt, including driving, he may hunt small game while accompany you in the woods while you are hunting big game.

·
Registered
241 Posts
sorry to inform you guys but legally he is hunting hunt means to take pursue or DISTURB animals in there environment and he is doing that while walking in setting up or just being there

1 - 20 of 38 Posts