New York Firearms Forum banner

Can ARs really be made compliant?

Tags
ars compliant
2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  meketrefe 
#1 ·
Seems this one line is left out as a question on the state's website that asks questions on if you need to register.

The interactive tool feature that asks if a gun is semi auto, has a removable magazine, and then 10 characteristics, they forgot one. They forgot one question I still see in the law.

So if my friend saws off the flash suppressor and removes the pistol grip or welds the magazine in, this one clause seems ignored and may make compliance actions worthless:

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle,...

Seems this can be used by any police, court, DA, Judge to their liking and decide any AR has to be registered and my friend could become a felon.

Just asking a honest question for my friend?

#4 ·
"Your friend" can modify a common ar15 so that it doesn't have to be registered.

#8 ·
Really there is no such things as a "semi auto version" of an automatic rifle.

AR type guns may LOOK like an M16, but technically and legally they are different guns. Different brands. Different models.

And the same goes for NYC banning "all AR-15s" - My gun is a Colt Match Target...a different gun / model than an AR-15.

This is why they rely on the BULL **** feature ban...because they can't just ban all guns by naming a type.

#14 ·
Really there is no such things as a "semi auto version" of an automatic rifle.
Technically, I would not agree. I do think that language in the law is basically just nonsense legally speaking, but technically I could see a "semi-auto version" of a full auto gun. Basically any select fire gun that was altered so that only semi-auto fire was possible. For instance, an AR with an auto-sear and full hook hammer installed, but the selector switch modified so that auto or burst fire could not be used.

Granted, assuming that the full auto gun was owned by a non-LEO and registered under NFA it would be a vastly stupid move to modify it for semi-auto fire only, but technically I think it would be possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.