New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, can anyone recommend a range to shoot 7.62 cal within an hour of Scarsdale/Hartsdale? Many thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is a pain and the constant reloading really eats up your time a lot faster than I would have thought. I've only been once to sight in a rifle and with the constant reloading and stopping to to see where my shot hit the target my hour went very quickly.
I'm planning on going to Davis up in Goshen tomorrow to set up a scope that I got from a member on this board on a 7.62 rifle.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah blue mountain sucks with that policy. Friend of mine doesn't even load a mag, just drops one in the chamber. Going to blue mountain Saturday myself. Pistol and rifle range.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I posted this is another thread about Blue Mountain, literally just got back from firing 7.62 (Mosin Nagant, SKS) at this range and felt like sharing my experience. It isn't pleasant to fire on their large bore range. Far too many nonsensical (read: no common sense) regulation, too much oversight from rangers looking over your shoulder and treating you like a child. The worst part is only being able to load 1 round at a time, so if you want to test your rifles cycling or magazine, you won't be able to. You can't even touch your own firearms without jumping through hoops (case on table, etc). You can't stand to fire, you must sit at the bench with a ranger literally standing right behind you. Not a good place to train for firearm discipline, and definitely not a good place for recreation. Only good aspect is that they let you fire most kinds of firearms. I'm going to try out that Davis Sports (this one might be closer to OP) place, or perhaps Calverton in LI. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yea, 1 at a time is kinda a pain. just an FYI for some people who havent been. Thats only for Large Bore (like this thread is about). Pistol and small bore you can fill your mags.

ive shot a few times there, large bore. Really Depends on the range officers. Ive chambered a mag and shot it off without problems. they are trying to avoid rapid fire. take a few breaths in between shots and i dont think they will bust your chops.

·
Registered
241 Posts
yea, 1 at a time is kinda a pain. just an FYI for some people who havent been. Thats only for Large Bore (like this thread is about). Pistol and small bore you can fill your mags.

ive shot a few times there, large bore. Really Depends on the range officers. Ive chambered a mag and shot it off without problems. they are trying to avoid rapid fire. take a few breaths in between shots and i dont think they will bust your chops.
Yea, you're right, for the most part so long as you can memorize the dozens of rules then the range officers will leave you alone. But that all depends if you feel like memorizing a manuals worth of regulations, and to me that's already defeated the purpose and fun of target shooting. You're also right about small bore and pistols, there you can fill up and fire fairly rapidly (occasionally they just let you unload). The rangers down there also seem to be a little bit less uptight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went up to Davis for two hours of range time yesterday and it was packed. I had to wait close to a half hour to get into a lane but other than that it was a fine time.
I was setting up a scope on a .308 rifle and also took some time to do some trigger control practice on my Glock that I'm just not a fan of shooting. It's my only pistol that I shoot like garbage (but I'm not blaming the gun).
If I remember correctly the hourly fee is something like $22.
The guys in that shop have always been very helpful to me so I have no complaints other than the 45 minute drive. But that's on me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts