New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was not sure where to ask this so figured this was the correct place,if not can a mod move it to the proper place..

Ok this may be a odd question but I was wonder can Ammo be store inside a Garage if it is not heated during the winter months same goes for the summer time..

Of course all the Ammo would be in Ammo cans that are water proof and also would be securely locked..

Thanks
ranger1033

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have stored ammo in an unheated garage for a year or so and had no problems with it. I would advise to not store cans in direct contact with the floor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As long as theres no drastic temperature changes I would think it would be fine.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as theres no drastic temperature changes I would think it would be fine.
Would there be a better way to make sure it can be ok from the weather? say for instant what if I was to vacuum seal all the ammo and then put them inside the ammo cans they should be protected from any type of change in the temperature?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Get a food saver and seal the ammo. I would date the ammo as well... just for reference. If all of it is the same ammo, cut one of the boxes and throw it in the can and seal all the ammo together. The rafters would be the best, otherwise put a tarp under the cans.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get a food saver and seal the ammo. I would date the ammo as well... just for reference. If all of it is the same ammo, cut one of the boxes and throw it in the can and seal all the ammo together. The rafters would be the best, otherwise put a tarp under the cans.
Yup I have one of those Food Savers will definitely date the ammo,the ammo I will have is .40,.45,9mm,.22lr,223/5.56,308 and 5.7.28 and maybe 7.62 if I get a Mini 30 they will all have there own ammo can...

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Temperature swings kills ammo lifespan in a big way.

Airtight ammo in my car trunk went bad (15-20% first strike failure rate) after about a year or year and a half.

ammo was federal 22lr and wolf 7.62x39
Matt so your saying using a food saver would not do me any good or would be good for a short time?

By the way did you get any of my pm's?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
as everyone mentioned there are a number of ways to help reduce/limit moisture from your ammo storage and this is ideal for any type of storage. but temperature swings will create condensation, etc... if the garage is your only option then do as suggested. if you can keep it inside where you have more stable temperatures that is ideal.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as everyone mentioned there are a number of ways to help reduce/limit moisture from your ammo storage and this is ideal for any type of storage. but temperature swings will create condensation, etc... if the garage is your only option then do as suggested. if you can keep it inside where you have more stable temperatures that is ideal.
Yeah I have the room in my bedroom but was looking for more options if I need more space for storing any more ammo..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.