New York Firearms Forum banner

Can a non permit holder shoot my gun with my supervision?

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  tommyp 
#1 ·
I've heard multiple sides of this - but am still trying to find out:

If I have a valid permit (and I do), can someone without a permit (spouse, friend) shoot any of my pistols as long as I'm present and supervising? I've heard both yes's and no's.

Thanks!

#5 ·
There is also an exemption to let kids shoot handguns at the range when supervised by their parents or a person designated by the parents whom holds a hunter safety certificate. You need not be an instructor to let a kid shoot your handgun, provided that he falls within the age range (I think it's 14 to 21 but double check that before you take it as gospel) covered by the exemption.

No such exemption exists for adults. An adult needs to be licensed to legally handle a handgun in NYS.

#7 ·
My understanding is that you don't need the DEC certificate if you are the parent or guardian. That requirement only comes into play if a third party designated by you (e.g., you want me to take them shooting) is the one that takes them to the range. I also believe that you can take them right up until they turn 21.

Keep in mind that I'm not a lawyer and I am going from memory here. If you'd like I'll consult my black book of NYS Firearms laws when I get home.

#8 ·
A non permit holder can also shoot a handgun here (and bring their own) if they are from out of state and are coming to NY to shoot in an NRA sanctioned event and staying less than a certain amount of time (72 hours?). That exemption doesn't apply to a NY resident as far as I know.

#12 ·
Can't speak for CT or NJ but PA isn't a problem at all. No license requirement in that state to possess or own a handgun; only to carry one concealed. In fact I will usually take my friends to the SGL (state game lands) public ranges if they want to try out my handguns. I live near the border and it allows me to keep us all legal so it's worth the extra hour in the car.

#14 ·
Let's get the thread back to the original question:

To answer your question, No. It cannot legally happen.

There are exemptions for:

1. Youths between 14 and not yet 21, at a range, under the supervision of an adult, using the adult's legally registered handgun, AND that adult has to have completed a handgun safety course.

2. Non Residents of NY that are here for an NRA sanctioned competition. There are travel and transport restrictions as well. (locked, unloaded and travelling within 48 hours of the match)

3. Active duty military, on orders from their commander, and under the guise of those orders

4. LEO

Look under the exemptions section of NY State PL 265 and you will see all of the valid ones.

#15 ·
Thanks for the clarification. And let me add i hate this state and really need to leave. Doesn't quite make sense to me that a juvenile, who is more likely less mature than an "adult" can shoot under supervision of the licensee, but not an adult. This state really is ridonkulous.

Anywho - thanks for the updates. I also lol'd at that comment about the tree . that was good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.