New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read (can't remember exactly where) that it's ok to bring a son or daughter (14 and up?) to the range and let them fire a pistol under a pistol permit holder's supervision at a range. What are the laws/policies (if any) for a pistol permit holder wanting to bring a friend or relative to the range for some pistol shooting on their legally registered pistol? Is this forbidden by law, or acceptable (assuming the pistol permit holder is WITH the friend/family member at all times)? Figured it was best to ask here...

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
from RPDLLC's website

In 2006, The Youth Handgun Shooting Act was put into place by then Governor Pataki. This law changed the limitations for young adults and their participation in handgun shooting sports. The law now allows those between the ages of 14 and not yet 21 to possess, handle, and shoot handguns with certain conditions: it must be done at a formal range, by a licensed instructor, with that instructor's handguns.
Section 265.20-7e allows the youth between 14 and 21 to handle a handgun under the supervision of an adult (over 21) that has taken a pistol safety class, at a formal range, for the purposes of education. Most ranges have also added the stipulation that the person must be an NRA or other certified instructor.
It sounds like your kids, relatives and friends will never shoot your gun unless it's also on there permit.
Your kids 14-21 do have a chance to shoot a pistol, just not yours unless you are a licensed instructor and the range meets the qualifications.

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
The range has to be incorporated for conservation purposes or to foster the proficiency of small arms use. Any formal range will meet the proficiency part, but the incorporation part may be a problem for some. Our club meets the requirements, we let 14 to 20 year olds shoot our steel events. We do make the parent be there and we have certified NRA RSOs on site for these. You can read through the entire statute if you google 265.20-7e, that may clear things up for you.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yep, Turn 21 and touch a pistol in NY and you have become a criminal.

There is a bill being sponsored by Elizabeth Little in the Senate
The

http://scopeny.org/index2011.html#prelicensesafetycourse

It's a start to end the silliness that gives someone over 21 the same status as a teen.

To allow individuals who have applied for a license to possess a
pistol or revolver and who are enrolled in a certified pre-license
firearms safety course under the supervision, guidance and instruction
of a certified firearms safety course instructor, to handle a firearm
during the course of the class.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's a ridiculous law. Let a 14-20 yr old shoot off a pistol, but a responsible adult looking to get some trigger time at a range before getting their permit makes them a criminal. From what I was told, many gun ranges are lenient about this, they don't have a problem letting responsible adults fire pistols owned by permit holders while the permit holders supervise said adults shooting targets at the range. Just don't wear a sign or shirt saying: "I had a live fire session at THIS range with a pistol even though I didn't have a permit!"

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Careful: Most ranges I deal with want the member to follow ANY laws of the area they are in. Facilitating the handling of a handgun by a non permitted person that does not fall under any of the listed exemptions in NY law is not a good thing. All it takes is ONE person on the wrong side of the fence to get hold of that and we are once again looking like reckless gun nuts

As stated in other posts, we should be careful about advising going against a law, no matter how silly it may seem. Advocating someone to break the law is not responsible activity.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer.

But 265.20-7e allows the youth between 14 and 21 to handle a handgun at an incorporated range organized for conservation and/or to foster proficiency in small arms .....

• at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms
  • at a competition under the auspices of an organization ....

IF

• the handgun is licensed to and under the direct supervision and guidance of a person described in paragraph seven.

Paragraph 7 includes (a) the military, (b) certified instructors, (c) a parent or guardian or person designated by the parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety, ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation, or (d) DEC hunting safety course instructor.

So it sounds to me (again, not a lawyer) that if you are at such a range, and you've taken the hunting safety course, then your own child may shoot your handgun under your supervision.

Your wife, no.
When your kid turns 21, no.

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.20 : NY Code - Section 265.20: Exemptions

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Now that it's posted on the net, someone might care.
Nothing in my town or the state saying i cant shoot in my back yard.No noise ordinance in my town and as long as im within 500 ft of a dwelling and have a backstop im ok.Ive actually had DEC here before.Believe it or not,my mother in law turned me in for noise once.She was informed there no noise ordinance.They came and looked ,all was fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dave, You dug up a thread from 2011
The question of allowing your own children to shoot a handgun has come up several times in casual conversation with friends. I was performing research, and this thread popped up. As we all know, it's tough to find clear answers on NY law. I've seen letters on this forum from a Sheriff's office that nobody else can ever touch your handgun, but that seems to be incorrect - if both parties are present at a range, both have permits, etc.

And yes, there's the law, and there's common practice. But I'd prefer to remain within the law, especially when at my local range.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
And if you posted a new thread about it, at least 30 people would comment "This has been discussed before" or "Use the search box before posting new threads" :rofl:

·
Registered
420 Posts
By the way the public ranges in Nassau county are EXTREMELY strict when it comes to following the laws. They are now only allowing 5rds in all magazines to ensure everyone is within the laws. Don't suggest that you break the law while in Nassau county. I belong to a private range and they are very strict as well. It is for everyone's safety and to ensure that there are no hassle with licensing of the ranges.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having moved here from Kommifornia just about a year ago, I can't say which state is "whackier" in terms of its anti-gun stance. At least out in CA, as long as I had a valid handgun safety certificate, I could let another person aged 21 or older shoot my handgun under my supervision. For kids I think it was 16 and up you had to be the parent/legal guardian or have a letter from them authorizing it. The idea that I can't even pick up a handgun unless I already have a pistol permit is crazy...not like that in CA...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Several posts have been removed from this thread. One warning and one only.

Rule #10 of this forum states:
10. Do not discuss illegal activities. Do not expose us to any unnecessary legal liability. Any posts or pictures incriminating yourself or another member will be deleted immediately and you will be banned without warning.

The NYS law being referenced here is a bad law, on this we can all agree. However, posts suggesting you either have broken the law, will break the law, or suggest to others to break the law - will get you banned from this forum.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
BTW....you are still allowed to have 10 rounds in your magazine today. After 4/15/2013, you can only have 7.

If the ranges in Nassau are telling you that you are illegal with more than 5 or 7 now, they are incorrect.

·
Registered
420 Posts
BTW....you are still allowed to have 10 rounds in your magazine today. After 4/15/2013, you can only have 7.

If the ranges in Nassau are telling you that you are illegal with more than 5 or 7 now, they are incorrect.
You are 100% correct but the ranges here are just really strict. In the private range we are allowed to load 10rds with no issues. The range is actually an NRA sponspored range and they are very knowledgeable on all the regulations. It is always a pleasure to shoot there and even have a kids program to introduce them to shooting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.